The 'SWITCH' is finally ON !

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

The 'SWITCH' is finally ON !

It was like after half time time someone finally flicked the "SWITCH' and had our team playing with some energy! It was great to see our side come out of their pre season slumber. Finally they looked switched on and ready to attack games with the intensity required. To be honest I think there tardy start to the season has been a lot to do with their preparation - it's a long season and they just weren't ready to go last week.

I did a but of a running summary yesterday -

First Quarter
- Skills still very scrappy
- Reiwoldt look much better this week
- Milera is a real find and will get better with confidence
- Stevens plenty of ball
- Montagna & Goddard don’t like chasing
- We need still need break away speed from packs
- Kosi terrible when ball hit the ground – no 2nd effort.

2nd Quarter
- Milne misses two easy shot at goal
- No one prepared to run and take the game on thru middle
- Geary going well in backline
- Gilberts decision making still poor (1 x out on full & 1 x turnover cost a goal)
- Positives Newnes doesn’t look out of place – Milera continue to impress

Midfield Coach - Please train our players to move when the win the ball in midfield contests. Too often they take possession of the ball and wait for there team mates to spread before releasing or handball to someone who is also covered. We are a much harder target to tackle block if we take off.

3rd Quarter
- Great centre clearance work
- Much better atack and movement
- Gilbert what goes thru his head our worst decision maker with the ball
- Kosi cant run out games – time for him to be replaced by Wilkes or used as a sub

Last Quarter
- We are just starting to get some match fitness hopefully we continue our improvement.
- Welcome back David Armitage
- Welcome back Nick Reiwoldt
- Armitage, Stevens & Jones starting to run away from clearances - finally
- 2nd half of game is how they expect to play – big improvement
- Montagna better but needs to regain his breakaway speed
- Jamie CRIPPS 6 touches will struggle to hold his position
- Rhys Stanley getting better each week
- Defence looks reasonable

- Target – I liked Maverick Weller from GC – nice to be able poach him.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
hAyES
Club Player

Re: The 'SWITCH' is finally ON !

I don't think we can take too much from this game apart from it being a confidence booster as a team and a game where the young guys can get some more game time and confidence. Milera is going to be something else. Lovett-esque IMO.

Cripps seems to be playing more of a midfield role which doesn't suit him and I'd like to see him go to HB where he can get the handball receive and use his pace to break the lines rather than trying to win his own ball.

I think we've got one too many talls in the backline and forward line.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:I don't think we can take too much from this game apart from it being a confidence booster as a team and a game where the young guys can get some more game time and confidence. Milera is going to be something else. Lovett-esque IMO.

Cripps seems to be playing more of a midfield role which doesn't suit him and I'd like to see him go to HB where he can get the handball receive and use his pace to break the lines rather than trying to win his own ball.

several commentators were actually complimenting the Saints on the 3 talls as it took away from Nick and thte over reliance.- and that the three of them were working well together.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Kosi was excellent...... He did the grunt contesting and split packs and bought the ball down..... I thought his work at ground level for a 197cm was good, he was significant and allowed Rhys and Nick to work into space......as he was the 'get out' kick..

Which is never fun as a fwd.... A role Nick has played unsuccessfully for a few years.....

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Kosi was excellent...... He did the grunt contesting and split packs and bought the ball down..... I thought his work at ground level for a 197cm was good, he was significant and allowed Rhys and Nick to work into space......as he was the 'get out' kick..

Which is never fun as a fwd.... A role Nick has played unsuccessfully for a few years.....

I liked Kosi's game too. He was the wrecking ball to the classy running and marking in space from Rooey and the fleet footed running of Stanley. 3 different styles of talls and they aren't getting in each others way any more.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Glad people can observe Kosi and his effort, I lost count of the amount of times he contested in the 50 and the ball spilled to a Milne or a Steven.

His tackling technique was also much cleaner this week, and his handballs from the contest very effective.

Superboot
SS Life Member

Ledger was a last quarter highlight

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
hAyES wrote:I don't think we can take too much from this game apart from it being a confidence booster as a team and a game where the young guys can get some more game time and confidence. Milera is going to be something else. Lovett-esque IMO.

several commentators were actually complimenting the Saints on the 3 talls as it took away from Nick and thte over reliance.- and that the three of them were working well together.
Except for Tony Shaw..he was saying that he wasn't convinced Stanley could make it...if he played for Collingwood he might've had a different opinion...

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Glad people can observe Kosi and his effort, I lost count of the amount of times he contested in the 50 and the ball spilled to a Milne or a Steven.

His tackling technique was also much cleaner this week, and his handballs from the contest very effective.
He has a thankless job playing second/third fiddle to Roo and Milne however he does his job very well. If he was to kick a few a week that would equal a 40 goal season and we will become a better side with him kicking goals and contesting to advantage more often. Go the Kos!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
SainterK wrote:Glad people can observe Kosi and his effort, I lost count of the amount of times he contested in the 50 and the ball spilled to a Milne or a Steven.

He has a thankless job playing second/third fiddle to Roo and Milne however he does his job very well. If he was to kick a few a week that would equal a 40 goal season and we will become a better side with him kicking goals and contesting to advantage more often. Go the Kos!
Thankless externally, I'm convinced he is thanked internally.

He has kicked 5 goals in 2 games, only Roo ahead of him on 6. If both keep at that rate, I will have no complaints.