Round 2 extended squads

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Re: Round 2 extended squads

True. Milera isn't exactly chubby though and the footage of Newnes from last year showed that he was also awfully light. Hopefully Winmar will step up this year, as he's got plenty of ability and is a good size.

Probably a very good sign that, even though we've gone relatively young this week, we still have Winmar, Saad, Siposs and Ross still up our sleeves (who could all probably play very soon without much trouble) plus those on the rookie list that are doing well, plus Gwilt, Schneider, Gram and Raph, who are due back from injury reasonably soon, as well as Ray, Peake, Polo and Wilkes.

That's 12 (not including those on the rookie list), who, if they were fit right now, could probably play senior AFL this week and not be out of place. Long time since we've had that much depth I reckon.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It's not about dominating in the VFL in order to get games. It's the coach's assessment on how players react in certain situations, how they read the game, and the decisions they make when they do and don't have the ball. Those things may not mean a mountain of possessions in the VFL, but display a capability to perform at the next level. It appears that Newnes has dispalyed those attributes and therefore has his chance.

It's interesting, a friend of mine has seen him play a couple of times, and from his point of view Newnes is a really smart player who reads the game very well. He has been keen for Newnes to be in the team from the start, so it seems he's a good judge.

Let's hope he performs well enough this week to be given an extended stint in the seniors.

Conversely, things look rather bleak for Ray and Peake. It could be some time before we see them again at AFL level.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

What number is Jack Newnes? If I remember correctly we drafted him last November.
Hoping for a good impression tomorrow evening.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
on the outer
Club Player

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

He is about 79kgs, which is an all right weight for his age

Is a utility from what I've read, which is good as a sub

lefty
Club Player

Looks like we have quite some depth :)
I don't know who's going to go out for Raph when hes not injured. I don't know either about Gram, when you've got Geary playing well. Gwilt and Schneider as well Ray, Wilkes along with the young kids like Sippos, Saad, Crocker, Winmar, Markworth, Curren, Ross

Also I didn't think Peake played too bad, I like his speed/run and carry... did much more than Ray has done imo. Steven also really really really needs to improve his kicking, the turn overs are costing us.

defacto
Club Player

reading the clubs description of winmar in the saint mag, i'd say the club see's him as a long term prospect and will be patient with him. has another 2 years to show something imo.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:Looks like we have quite some depth :)
I don't know who's going to go out for Raph when hes not injured. I don't know either about Gram, when you've got Geary playing well. Gwilt and Schneider as well Ray, Wilkes along with the young kids like Sippos, Saad, Crocker, Winmar, Markworth, Curren, Ross

Also I didn't think Peake played too bad, I like his speed/run and carry... did much more than Ray has done imo. Steven also really really really needs to improve his kicking, the turn overs are costing us.

I think Steven gets so much of it that they expect some mistakes but as a very senior player Peake can't be getting such low possession counts and expect to keep his spot. With young guys wanting your spot you can't just cruise which is something Peake seems to revert to at times. I like his speed but his commitment isn't 100% at times. Ray is in the same boat, an average game will see him out of the team. The older guys will get more game time when some of the kids tire further into the season and by that time they may actually ealise they need to go hard to keep their spot.

saint6709
Club Player

I might have missed something on another thread - but what has happened to sipposs??

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Hyperexteded knee dont think he will miss much,
Grammy back next week...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Well Newnes is a bit of a suprise.

Considering I was talking to his mum and dad last week who thought he may get a game sometime this year, it would be a very pleasant suprise to them as well.

With my usual impeccable footy knowledge and timing, said to his dad that Jack would make the grade but seemed a little physically underdone and may have to go through a second preseason, at which his dad then told me he had put on 5 kgs over the preseason :D

Oh and the reason he is playing football in the first place irs very interesting, if you see me at the footy ask me about it, nothing bad about it, quite funny, but not for an open internet forum (go get your own stories you lurking journo hacks).

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Well Newnes is a bit of a suprise.

Considering I was talking to his mum and dad last week who thought he may get a game sometime this year, it would be a very pleasant suprise to them as well.

With my usual impeccable footy knowledge and timing, said to his dad that Jack would make the grade but seemed a little physically underdone and may have to go through a second preseason, at which his dad then told me he had put on 5 kgs over the preseason :D

Oh and the reason he is playing football in the first place irs very interesting, if you see me at the footy ask me about it, nothing bad about it, quite funny, but not for an open internet forum (go get your own stories you lurking journo hacks).

Im a journo. Can I still ask you at the footy?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

You are a weirdo more than a journo :D :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You are a weirdo more than a journo :D :wink:

So I have been told. I am also faggot and have bum chums so it seems i am the perfect journo in some peoples eyes. How will I know you at the footy. Do you still wear that dress that fascinated Stinger.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: So I have been told. I am also faggot and have bum chums so it seems i am the perfect journo in some peoples eyes. How will I know you at the footy. Do you still wear that dress that fascinated Stinger.

yes I do. I want you to walk around all the stands today looking for the guy in the dress telling funny stories about draftees.

Lance or James??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote: So I have been told. I am also faggot and have bum chums so it seems i am the perfect journo in some peoples eyes. How will I know you at the footy. Do you still wear that dress that fascinated Stinger.

yes I do. I want you to walk around all the stands today looking for the guy in the dress telling funny stories about draftees.

Luckily we arent playing in Sydney. I would never find you.