Sam Gilbert

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Sam Gilbert

We all know this is the elephant in the room.

He has had one good year. Since then and some sticky situations he has lost all confidence and very very rarely hits a target. His decision making is absolutely horrific, he's continuously missing targets turning it over in the most important area on the ground.. our backline.

He is the MOST frustrating player in our lineup right now, he costs us a couple of goals a game and just is no longer up to it. I find myself asking Raph Clarke, Gram or Gilbert? As these are our only rebounding half backs presently. This is a major defficiency as IMO none are up to AFL level and their possession is not AFL standard, not even close.

I know Cripps is being groomed as a replacement but what others should be tried off the back flank who WILL make the right decisions?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sam Gilbert

Gilbert is a 6'4 tough, quick and mobile KPP. He aint going nowhere. Just needs to give off to good ball users more often.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I though Gilbo had a very solid game

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

He was average, as were many others. One game doesn't make a season.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The boys could try limiting the oppositions inside 50's....I reckon that would help Gilbo enormously.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:We all know this is the elephant in the room.

He has had one good year. Since then and some sticky situations he has lost all confidence and very very rarely hits a target. His decision making is absolutely horrific, he's continuously missing targets turning it over in the most important area on the ground.. our backline.

He is the MOST frustrating player in our lineup right now, he costs us a couple of goals a game and just is no longer up to it. I find myself asking Raph Clarke, Gram or Gilbert? As these are our only rebounding half backs presently. This is a major defficiency as IMO none are up to AFL level and their possession is not AFL standard, not even close.

I know Cripps is being groomed as a replacement but what others should be tried off the back flank who WILL make the right decisions?

Agree. I would trade Gilbert for a fifth round pick.

His kicking is disgusting. Not only that, but his decision making is just as bad.

Good to see you still around the traps mightysainters!

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Trading Gilbert is laughable. He's our second best defender and our best attacking defender.

Lucky those beyond this forum can see his value.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/g ... 1wayz.html

hAyES
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:Gilbert is a 6'4 tough, quick and mobile KPP. He aint going nowhere. Just needs to give off to good ball users more often.
Yep doesn't really matter if he can't kick because he's a key back now. We need guys running past him for the handball receive.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He has looked back to his dangerous best this preseason.

I still think people are harsh on defenders when the opposition has 10+ more inside 50's than St Kilda.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Marking is one of our team strengths and Gilbert took some great marks in front of his opponents on the weekend. It is what we do with the ball once we win it that most people have concerns with. However I thought our defence stood up well given how easily Port were running the ball in. Blakey panicked a couple of times contesting against a bigger opponent (but he has always done that) and Gilbert and Dempster turned the ball over (again as they always have) but generally it was because we lacked run from behind causing the defenders to try to hit unrealistic targets.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Forget Gilbert's performance last year. His marking and run are important to us. His kicking is still a major drawback, but I have a feeling that it has improved this year (wishful thinking?).

Like a few others, give him a few games before we start destroying him.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:Trading Gilbert is laughable. He's our second best defender and our best attacking defender.

Lucky those beyond this forum can see his value.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/g ... 1wayz.html

I laughed at that article.

Agree with others he needs to be a key defender period. No running, less kicking.

FB/CHF or nothing.

IMO of course.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Marking is one of our team strengths and Gilbert took some great marks in front of his opponents on the weekend. It is what we do with the ball once we win it that most people have concerns with. However I thought our defence stood up well given how easily Port were running the ball in. Blakey panicked a couple of times contesting against a bigger opponent (but he has always done that) and Gilbert and Dempster turned the ball over (again as they always have) but generally it was because we lacked run from behind causing the defenders to try to hit unrealistic targets.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by how good Dempster was in that game. His kicking is a 50/ 50 proposition still in my mind. Could be a shank our hit the next player lace out. I liked his game and really stood up and most of his kicks were very good. You can't under estimate how hard it is to cover 3 guys who play the same role in any team. Gram, Gwilt and Raph are all the next link in the chain and with out Zac the rest of the defence is already drawn back further. Fisher wasn't as damaging back closer to the opposition goal.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Needs to play more to his limitations when disposing of the ball...

But his weapons far outweigh this weakness, as long as he doesn't get too extravagant..

His run, marking, close in work, defending, are all top notch... His kicking (and decision making when disposing by foot) are not great... Just palm it off to the safest option, or just go long down the line/forward...

Trading him for a 5th rounder, as mentioned above, would be a biggest drafting/trading mistake yet, and we've made plenty in the last few years...