Lucky it's just early in the season

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lucky it's just early in the season

We just lost to a terrible side and both sides did play terrible.[/quote]

they were not terrible. How so? They played good contested footy got first hands on the ball their tall forwards marked and converted, backline tightened up. West Coast were bottom of the ladder 2 seasons ago now they look top.

We were beaten by the team that played better contested footy and helped by poor umpiring.[/quote]

I saw 7 games on the weekend. Our game was close but was only in front of the Melbourne Brisbane game in skills. It was a terrible game IMO. So much slower and less skilled than about 6 games on the weekend.[/quote]

I don't think we are going to change how we play over night. We are going to bring some grind to everything we do. We make Geelong and Collingwood look less skilled by wearing down. It was interesting how free flowing the other games were. Melbourne and the saints were the 2 teams that stuffed about around the flanks and seemed to refuse to use the corridor even when it was open. Not a good weekend for ex magpies assistants playing old collingwoods game plan. I hope we get some assertiveness back and go for open players when they present. McEvoy kept turning the ball over rather than roosting long down the line, kicking the thing to a 2 on 2 hard out on the boundary doesn't necessarily mean it's safer than the corridor.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:[quote="crippa2sipaGood luck finding a "genuine" full back. Zac was an integral part of the best defence in history and we chose to delist him at the age of 25.
Went on to save the game for Freo against the reigning premiers with his aggressive attack on the footy that collected Stokes.

I may be wrong but didn't Dawson refuse to re-sign with us instead taking up an offer from Freo?
I'm positive I saw reports that he was a 'required player' by us.
What Pelchen said was: "We've kept everyone we wanted to keep".[/quote]

Did we make Dawson a new offer or not?
Or like Eddy, McQualter, Baker, Johnson etc did we just delist him so that he could go elsewhere?
Or like Lynch and Walsh did we trade him?

Your statement that 'we chose to delist him' paints a misleading picture of what transpired (IMO).
I believe it is quite apparent that we did in fact want to keep him.
Freo chose to offer him more than we did (could?) and he then elected to take up that offer.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't it reported he was offered 300 a year, Freo gave him 1mil over three?

Scott certainly said he was a required player publicly.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Wasn't it reported he was offered 300 a year, Freo gave him 1mil over three?

Of course Scott wanted him. But it was Pelchen's decision. And Pelchen stated quite quite clearly that he kept the players he wanted.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:
SainterK wrote:Wasn't it reported he was offered 300 a year, Freo gave him 1mil over three?

Of course Scott wanted him. But it was Pelchen's decision. And Pelchen stated quite quite clearly that he kept the players he wanted.
Ameet Bains is the list manager, and I'm sure if I look for it, I can find the trade week stuff where he indicates that Zac had a contract (actually for a very long time) right up until the end of trade week.

Wish he'd ask to be traded if he wanted to go.

Gwilt Edged
Club Player

crippa2sipa wrote:

That's even worse - so you admit to using weasel words. You were better off pleading ignorance

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re all this panic coz we narrowly failed to upset a primed Port Adelaide side... if this year was 2011, and the same result had been achieved against the E-Girls, many on here would be expressing their concern... this week.

Go you Saintas!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

What is most concerning is that our skills level was plain awful. The end.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:SainterK - just let go of your delusions/dreams/fantasies.

It will make this year more tolerable, and help you through the shellackings the top sides will give us.
and make the most of the early season good odds against us. i made $290 betting on port last night.

probably not next week as we won't lose that. but i reckon the dogs will be $2.50 against us in round three, and we're a good chance to lose to them as well.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

Mr Magic, you've confused all the quotes which unfortunately put your words in my mouth and my words in yours.

In answer to your question - what I wrote is not misleading.
What's misleading is pretending you want someone to stay then admitting you don't care that they left.

You don't have to delist a player you don't want. You just offer him a contract he'd be a fool to accept.
When this sort of thing occurs in the workplace it's called "constructive dismissal" - ie sacking a person while pretending to hire him.
Pelchen was the one delisted Dawson from Hawthorn I believe.
He was no fan, that's for sure.
Last edited by crippa2sipa on Mon 02 Apr 2012 11:10am, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:SainterK - just let go of your delusions/dreams/fantasies.

It will make this year more tolerable, and help you through the shellackings the top sides will give us.
and make the most of the early season good odds against us. i made $290 betting on port last night.

probably not next week as we won't lose that. but i reckon the dogs will be $2.50 against us in round three, and we're a good chance to lose to them as well.

You are lucky. A person who shall remain nameless but may be contributing to this quote lost his house if I remember rightly.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Antagonizing again..... Surprise

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

interesting thread...
glad we've already established that Port are terrible this season... better let the supporters know

ANd I'm glad we have guys on here from the inner sanctum that can tell us what Pelchen was thinking and what Dawson was thinking and what the club did with all the inside know

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Skeptic.....where do you have port finishing in 2012??

I have them 12-15 region....that means we will front at least 11 better teams on my thinking

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:Mr Magic, you've confused all the quotes which unfortunately put your words in my mouth and my words in yours.

In answer to your question - what I wrote is not misleading.
What's misleading is pretending you want someone to stay then admitting you don't care that they left.

You don't have to delist a player you don't want. You just offer him a contract he'd be a fool to accept.
When this sort of thing occurs in the workplace it's called "constructive dismissal" - ie sacking a person while pretending to hire him.
Pelchen was the one delisted Dawson from Hawthorn I believe.
He was no fan, that's for sure.
Sorry c2s, but I haven't confused any words.
I know what you posted - I read it.
You stated that we delisted Dawson and implied that it was StKFC that initiated his departure.

I claimed that we did not.
We offered him a new contract which others have claimed was around 300k per season (higher than he had been earning previously) and he elected' to take up a reportedly better offer from Freo.

You may 'believe' that Pelchen 'organized' Zac's departure, but unless you can post incontravertable facts then you are just speculating rather than posting facts.
That is my objjection.
Not against your opinion but the manner you've posted your opinion as fact.

St Kilda obviously wanted him to stay but valued him at 300k per season (my speculation on the amount).
Freo obviously felt they could pay him more than that and he left.

He's not the first player to change clubs for a better deal and he certainly won't be the last.
But to categorically characterize it somehow as the Club's fault is, IMHO, misleading.

They certainly showed no 'hidden agendas' in dismissing and trading several players last season.
Why would they play 'funny buggers' over Zac?
As it is they ended up losing him for no compensation.

Surely Pelchen (if he really is the person doing all of this) would have been better off trading him to Freo for something rather than letting him walk for nothing?
There was not even a hint of a rumour during Trade Week that he was available.

Are you suggesting that StKFC/Pelchen was in 'collusion' with Dawson and Freo to allow him to go there for nothing?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:St Kilda obviously wanted him to stay but valued him at 300k per season (my speculation on the amount).
i think that's what a lot of people have a problem with. given that we had few other true tall defenders, maybe the saints should have valued dawson higher than 300k. valuing him too low is part of what caused him to leave.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:St Kilda obviously wanted him to stay but valued him at 300k per season (my speculation on the amount).
i think that's what a lot of people have a problem with. given that we had few other true tall defenders, maybe the saints should have valued dawson higher than 300k. valuing him too low is part of what caused him to leave.
Maybe yes, maybe no.
Maybe that's all they had left in their salary cap to offer him?
Who on here actually knows?

But that's really the point.

None of us know and yet crippa2sippa is making a categorical statement as if he's privvy to that information.
If he is then he should just say so, which he hasn't done.
If he's not then, IMO, he shouldn't post his opinion as a fact.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Skeptic.....where do you have port finishing in 2012??

I have them 12-15 region....that means we will front at least 11 better teams on my thinking
I'm not sure.

I do know that they've been talked up as big impovers in some quarters over the preseason, I do know that traditionally they're our bogey team and I do know we played them at Aami park.
Like Freo of seasons past, they may become a team that's more dominant at home and perhaps an early season loss to them at Aami is the doom and gloom it's being made out to be.

Have to also agree with MM
In the past we've fallen into the trap of over paying particular players that haven't been worth it.

I don't know about anyone else but it doesn't seem inplausible to me that Dawson wanted a salary way over the odds. Sounds like he got it at Freo who wanted that type of player to challenge now

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Trade News Radio were speculating that St Kilda were offering him about $150k PA.