Freo Assistant Coach quits

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Freo Assistant Coach quits

meher baba wrote:
Thinline wrote:Ross is unapologetically a bit of a hard task master prick. He'll lose a few on the journey.

Hardly surprising news.
Lyon might be a master prick but also has a master plan and is undoubtedly smarter than the average bear. Getting difficult things done always means that a few people have to go home in tears. There'll be some argy bargy, but I reckon he will be fabulous for the Dockers and will lift them up by their bootstraps and take them at least to a GF by 2015.
Agree he is capable of that, if they give him that long and don't sack him.

His only concern is if the game makes a very quick transition back to attacking footy...then again, he may learn quick enough.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Have it pretty good authority that Ross was a control freak and did not empower or even trust assistants to do their job, but was quick to point the finger of blame...... which is why there was a mass exodus in 2010. The guy could seriously coach....management and interpersonal skills left a lot to be desired.....an arrogant, smart arse c*** was one description I heard.

But who could deny he knew his s***
"Have it on good authority".. :roll: :roll: :roll: Been wildy reported/ known that he is very hard to work with and demands ALOT from the Assistants...

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

I would of thought Saint Supporters wouldnt care how well likeable etc the coach is. I would of thought the only thing that matters is results???

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Took us to consecutive Grand Finals. A lot of teams would love to have given it the shots that we have over the past eight years. Ross did a great job, and it was only bad luck in the wash up that cost us. Perhaps in the future that luck will change. I, for one, am optimistic that we will get in another grand final while our older players are still with us. Sippa, Crippa and Ledga are going to be absolute guns and I reckon we are still a very handy side anyway.
Don't worry about the doomsayers - winning is a habit and we have had it now for eight years. It's all about the culcha!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Took us to consecutive Grand Finals. A lot of teams would love to have given it the shots that we have over the past eight years. Ross did a great job, and it was only bad luck in the wash up that cost us. Perhaps in the future that luck will change. I, for one, am optimistic that we will get in another grand final while our older players are still with us. Sippa, Crippa and Ledga are going to be absolute guns and I reckon we are still a very handy side anyway.
Don't worry about the doomsayers - winning is a habit and we have had it now for eight years. It's all about the culcha!
Waters said we are very coachable. Didn't happen by accident. We are well drilled and were well drilled before that as well.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Waters said we are very coachable. Didn't happen by accident. We are well drilled and were well drilled before that as well.
Lyon said the same when he started

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Obviously i heard this from someone he worked with..... Who also said he was the best coach going around.... Nice and good coach don't necessarily go hand in hand....

I have no problem with being a hard C***

In fact I loved that about him, he was blunt, arrogant and didn't mince words..... A bit like Nathan Buckley

But good fun to work for, I very much doubt it.....does anybody....but he got results

As I said and have said many times, a brilliant match day preparer and match day tactician....... His ability to create a good team was obvious.....and he will do that at freo

He was not a player developer, he did not look beyond each Saturday and only concerned himself with the first 22 winning....in other words he coached for the moment...... The greatest coaches coach for now and the future.....

He left our list in poor shape and a lot of kids did not get any better under Lyon .....

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Obviously i heard this from someone he worked with..... Who also said he was the best coach going around.... Nice and good coach don't necessarily go hand in hand....

I have no problem with being a hard C***

In fact I loved that about him, he was blunt, arrogant and didn't mince words..... A bit like Nathan Buckley

But good fun to work for, I very much doubt it.....does anybody....but he got results

As I said and have said many times, a brilliant match day preparer and match day tactician....... His ability to create a good team was obvious.....and he will do that at freo

He was not a player developer, he did not look beyond each Saturday and only concerned himself with the first 22 winning....in other words he coached for the moment...... The greatest coaches coach for now and the future.....

He left our list in poor shape and a lot of kids did not get any better under Lyon .....
heard that some of the players were s*** scared of him. he will really toughen Freo up quite a bit. Waters sounds like what we need for the moment as well. We'll know in 22 weeks.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

That is very correct if you werent a senior player, you didn't speak to him.....he spoke to you, if he wanted...

From the Leigh Matthews school of coaching...... And brutally honest, did not concern himself with players needs....it was only team needs....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Never liked him and thought it best that he left, Pity more of that hard work wasn't put into creating a more efficient attacking game plan. He had five years to address it but it was his and our Achilles heel.
Yep, he'd well and truly run his race and I wasn't sorry to see the back of him. His lack of adventure and failure to develp players was costly and he left the list in worse shape than he found it.

I'll reserve judgement on Watters, but whatever happens it was time for a change.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

We had one flag in the bag when Lyon arrived at St Kida and we had one flag in the bag when he left...where's the joy in that....not good enough....next...

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He was and is a good coach but loved autonomy and was afforded it ay Sydney who don't give a s*** and at the Saints where we are a little unassertive because of a lack of on field success. A mate's dad was on Freo's board and they complain that it's an individualist culture with trigger happy boards and in fighting. God help Lyon if they fail because he will take the board with him.

Freo have a culture of players leaving and becoming good because once they get away from the place the expectation to conform builds. I dearly hope he has a great time having to run things past different members of the board and explaining long term goals and development. Paul Roos will get RSI criticising the stifling conditions he is under.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:management and interpersonal skills left a lot to be desired.....an arrogant, smart arse c*** was one description I heard.

ok so he he was like 50% of people on saintsational PLUS on top of that he was a really good coach.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Ross did a great job, and it was only bad luck in the wash up that cost us.

don't agree with this...
saying that we couldn't have done any better... and that we lost a game through luck and poor kicking only

no noves, better preparation or development etc

RL was a good coach sure, he wasn;t perfect though

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
samuraisaint wrote: Ross did a great job, and it was only bad luck in the wash up that cost us.

don't agree with this...
saying that we couldn't have done any better... and that we lost a game through luck and poor kicking only

Nothing is perfect anyway.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:

don't agree with this...

I dont think anyone said he was perfect matter of fact he had a lot of faults, just not as many as most coaches. From the start he came in out decided that we could win a flag if we chose to recruit and trade certain players. From the start it was going to be a make or break decision and i actually posted that many times but got told i was typically negative. I probably didnt agree with him how he did it but with our history and how close we got in hindsight I think it was the right way to go. Was always going to leave us struggling once we were on the slide but in one way it is probably better to slide quickly anyway as it gives you good picks quickly. This is our last year for having any chance for the flag and our practice match form suggests we may have actually passed any chance for at least 5-7 years.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Coaches are judged on their results, and Ross Lyon was one point away from being the second best St Kilda coach ever.

He may end up being the best Freo coach ever.

We meanwhile, have moved on, and Watters is the man now.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Just listening to SEN and the subject came up. David King thinks Ross has a real problem burning out his assistants. Says Todd Curly is great bloke with great coaching potential who wanted a senior coaching role in the AFL. He's now lost to the game and King blames Lyon. Pretty interesting stuff. He didn't hold back. Most in the box including Robbo agreed with King. Seems to think it's a well known fact in AFL circles that Ross pushes his assistants too hard.

Before Ross lovers bash me. This is a snippet of what was said on the radio. Not my opinion, even though I agree totally. It is quite obvious King dislikes Ross.

Enter C2S and C449. :) :) :)

David King has two outstanding qualities. Brainlessness and dishonesty. That you're quoting him as an authority says a great deal about you & your attempts at misrepresentation are worthy of King himself.
Robinson asked King what evidence he had for connecting Ross to the departure of that assistant. The moron said he had none.

Brother, your obsession with Ross suggests to me that you're in denial and love him as much as I do. You can't stop thinking about him and writing about him. You probably dream about him.
If you hated him as much as you pretend you do he'd be dead to you. But he's not dead to you. And Watters clearly is not doing it for you.....
The more you spit out your fabricated hatred for Ross the more it indicates to me you secretly wish Ross never had left.
Last edited by crippa2sipa on Thu 29 Mar 2012 8:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

If his assistant couldnt handle Ross, how could he handle being a senior coach?.. This is AFL, they should be prepared to work their ass off.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:David King has two outstanding qualities. Brainlessness and dishonesty. That you're quoting him as an authority says a great deal about you & your attempts at misrepresentation are worthy of King himself.
Robinson asked King what evidence he had for connecting Ross to the departure of that assistant. The moron said he had none.

Brother, your obsession with Ross suggests to me that you're in denial and love him as much as I do. You can't stop thinking about him and writing about him. You probably dream about him.
If you hated him as much as you pretend you do he'd be dead to you. But he's not dead to you. And Watters clearly is not doing it for you.....
The more you spit out your fabricated hatred for Ross the more it indicates to me you secretly wish Ross never had left.
Don't think you will find a post of mine anywhere stating I dislike Ross. Actually think he is a good coach. You are the one in denial. I just personally dislike the way you and a few others suck up to him. That's all. He's no god. You talk about him like he is.
Your post is quite numerous. So far off the mark it's laughable.

None of your business what I dream about, by the way. Listen again if you don't think Robbo agreed with him. :D

Saintsational Legend

Lyin failed at St Kilda and I am more than confident he will fail at Freo. He is a very capable coach at the assistant level, but his lying and absolute egoism is his downfall as a senior coach. Man's got to know his limitations, and he doesn't.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Lyin failed at St Kilda and I am more than confident he will fail at Freo. He is a very capable coach at the assistant level, but his lying and absolute egoism is his downfall as a senior coach. Man's got to know his limitations, and he doesn't.

If what you said was true then there would be about 2 coaches in the AFL coaching 18 sides. I think they would be very busy. And I cant remember you ever expressing he would only be a capable assistent coach.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:

don't agree with this...

I dont think anyone said he was perfect matter of fact he had a lot of faults, just not as many as most coaches. From the start he came in out decided that we could win a flag if we chose to recruit and trade certain players. From the start it was going to be a make or break decision and i actually posted that many times but got told i was typically negative. I probably didnt agree with him how he did it but with our history and how close we got in hindsight I think it was the right way to go. Was always going to leave us struggling once we were on the slide but in one way it is probably better to slide quickly anyway as it gives you good picks quickly. This is our last year for having any chance for the flag and our practice match form suggests we may have actually passed any chance for at least 5-7 years.
ur right but my point is that ppl talk about the 09 GF as though fate denied us the GF despite everything being done perfectly minus a few sprayed kicks at goal

the coaching (amongst other things) could have been better in a few key areas. I'm not saying that it was the only thing that cost us the game but it wasn't perfect like these posts so often imply

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Lyin failed at St Kilda and I am more than confident he will fail at Freo. He is a very capable coach at the assistant level, but his lying and absolute egoism is his downfall as a senior coach. Man's got to know his limitations, and he doesn't.
You cant be serious.
1) Why call him Lyin? Are you 5?
2) Why are you confident he will fail?
3) Capable coach at the assistant level? So he isint capable at being a senior coach? Are you for real? One of the best, if not the best record out of all the coaches.
4) How is his lying/egoism his downfall as senior coach? Not even close to the truth