Team Rnd 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team Rnd 1

To the top wrote:Absolutely.

I would much prefer that the likes of Ledger, Stanley, Cripps, Siposs, Steven and Armitage establish themselves than continuing to rely on Milne and Schnieder, both of whom I assess are lazy footballers and front runners.

Niether of these 2 have ever turned the tide of games when we are on the ropes and under pressure - they go missing in action.

Time to move on from the mis-placed Lockett style hero worship because these "heroes" just have never delivered when absolutely required to do so.

Time to play those I have mentioned, whilst we still have the core of good footballers we have to assist them with their development.

And for that to happen, hard decisions have to be made.

Now!!
Damn straight, let's play all of our All Australians in the VFL, particularly anyone who kicks 2 goals every single week!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
To the top wrote:Absolutely.

I would much prefer that the likes of Ledger, Stanley, Cripps, Siposs, Steven and Armitage establish themselves than continuing to rely on Milne and Schnieder, both of whom I assess are lazy footballers and front runners.

Niether of these 2 have ever turned the tide of games when we are on the ropes and under pressure - they go missing in action.

Time to move on from the mis-placed Lockett style hero worship because these "heroes" just have never delivered when absolutely required to do so.

Time to play those I have mentioned, whilst we still have the core of good footballers we have to assist them with their development.

And for that to happen, hard decisions have to be made.

Now!!
Damn straight, let's play all of our All Australians in the VFL, particularly anyone who kicks 2 goals every single week!
Milne's done absolutely nothing for at least 6 months!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

I'm prepared to get howled down by P66 and others, but here goes anyway:
Riewoldt CHB nobody can argue we aren't a tall back short.
This enables Stanley, Kozi,Ben to rotate through ruck and tall forward.
Also forces blokes heading forward to consider best option rather than over reliance on Riewoldt.
Whilst Riewoldt is not a great pack mark he is rarely out-marked, is he mobile enough when ball hits the ground?
Not real sure, but wouldn't take long to find out.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Milne's done absolutely nothing for at least 6 months!
Correct :)

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

SAck Lenny then.
Done FA for nearly 11 months!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

peak is not a starter imo..........

Fortius Quo Fidelius
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:I'm prepared to get howled down by P66 and others, but here goes anyway:
Also forces blokes heading forward to consider best option rather than over reliance on Riewoldt.
Whilst Riewoldt is not a great pack mark he is rarely out-marked, is he mobile enough when ball hits the ground?
I do wonder exactly how bad his knee is.

Maybe a lighter load down back is not such a bad idea... certainly lets us put Rhys in the team.

Don't know if I'd do it btu not a bad idea.

Maybe see the first 3-4 rds and if Roo ain't able to produce up forward... well maybe it'll be worth a shot

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Judging by the Sandy List the side looks pretty obvious

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Riewoldt CHB nobody can argue we aren't a tall back short.

I see this as the major issue with having Roo as a forward. Either our players become smarter kicking it in forward or Roo is moved positions. The kick it to Roo on the HFF with three opponents on him game plan killed us all last year. Roo also has to be more aware and not demand the footy when he's in this situation. It's no good for the team.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:I'm prepared to get howled down by P66 and others, but here goes anyway:

So we are moving Rooy to CHB so we can rotate 3 guys through our forward line. Why do people insist on moving our best ever CHF to another position where he has never played. We are down a tall in the backline but it is FB. Moving Rooy to CHB doesnt solve that problem because we arent going to move Fisher to FB. The coach isnt that stupid. We have to work out a way of the current backmen being good enough to stop sides kicking a winning score. Lets at least see a proper game before we try to play players out of position.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I don't like Sammy Fisher playing on the last line. It's a win to the opposition. Jimmy coming back will really help. He's become some a good player for us now. We should never have let Zac leave. We should have cut a couple of others to make room in the cap. It probably wasn't that simple but you do have to wonder.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

At this stage

1. Injured 2. Saints 3. Saints 4. Saints 5. Saints 6. Sandy 7. Saints 8. Injured 9. Sandy 10. Sandy Reserves 11. Saints 12. Saints 13. Saints 14. Saints 15. Saints 16. Sandy 17. Sandy 18. Saints 19. Saints 20. Sandy 21. Sandy 22. Sandy 23. Saints 24. Saints 25. Saints 26. Saints 27. Sandy 28. Saints 29. Sandy Reserves 30. Saints 31. Sandy 32. Sandy 33. Injured 34. Sandy 35. Saints 36. Sandy Reserves 37. Sandy 38. Sandy 39. Sandy 40. Sandy Reserves 41. Sandy 42. Injured 43. Sandy 44. Saints 45. Sandy Reserves 46. Sandy Reserves

20 Saints
16 Sandringham
6 Sandringham Reserves
4 Unavailable

Would suggest
Armitage, Saad, Milera, Ross, Ray......will be fighting for 1 spot
Blake, Wilkes, Simpkin.......for 1 spot

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

So we are moving Rooy to CHB so we can rotate 3 guys through our forward line. Why do people insist on moving our best ever CHF to another position where he has never played. We are down a tall in the backline but it is FB. Moving Rooy to CHB doesnt solve that problem because we arent going to move Fisher to FB. The coach isnt that stupid. We have to work out a way of the current backmen being good enough to stop sides kicking a winning score. Lets at least see a proper game before we try to play players out of position.
Playing Roo in the backline is not playing to our strengths and is not a smart strategy in football or in life. Roo should only play in the forward line. He can play deep or further up the ground; whatever the game situation requires. We just need more options but everyone knows that.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:At this stage

1. Injured 2. Saints 3. Saints 4. Saints 5. Saints 6. Sandy 7. Saints 8. Injured 9. Sandy 10. Sandy Reserves 11. Saints 12. Saints 13. Saints 14. Saints 15. Saints 16. Sandy 17. Sandy 18. Saints 19. Saints 20. Sandy 21. Sandy 22. Sandy 23. Saints 24. Saints 25. Saints 26. Saints 27. Sandy 28. Saints 29. Sandy Reserves 30. Saints 31. Sandy 32. Sandy 33. Injured 34. Sandy 35. Saints 36. Sandy Reserves 37. Sandy 38. Sandy 39. Sandy 40. Sandy Reserves 41. Sandy 42. Injured 43. Sandy 44. Saints 45. Sandy Reserves 46. Sandy Reserves

20 Saints
16 Sandringham
6 Sandringham Reserves
4 Unavailable

Would suggest
Armitage, Saad, Milera, Ross, Ray......will be fighting for 1 spot
Blake, Wilkes, Simpkin.......for 1 spot
I agree that those are all candidates for spots however Watters may have his team in mind....and some need more minutes in their legs before round one. There may be some injuries that we are unaware of as well.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

so there were twenty-six who didn't play this week.

six injured:

gram, clarke, gwilt, archer
winmar?
andreoli?

so that leaves the senior squad of twenty which will be joined by two who played well this week, most likely blake/simpkin and armo/milera from the sound of it. which gives us:

FB: Geary, Blake/Simpkin, Dempster
HB: Gilbert, Fisher, Cripps
MF: Montagna, Dal Santo, Goddard
HF: Siposs, Riewoldt, Steven
FF: Milne, Koschitzke, Schneider
R: McEvoy, Hayes, Jones
IC: Stanley, Ledger, Peake, Armo/Milera
E: Blake/Simpkin, Armo/Milera, Ray, Wilkes

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bergholt - that looks spot on I think.
I would choose Simpkin over the Blake and I desperately want Milera in but it sounds like he might be injured. I would take Armo over Peake.
I guess coach will pick Armo and Peake.
Surely Tezza is better than Peake?

groupie1
Club Player

older saint wrote:Barring any unexpectd injuries and also Gwilt and R Clarke not available:

B: Cripps, Simpkins, Gilbert
HB: Goddard, Fisher, Ray
C:Mont, Dal Santo, Ledger
HF: Steven, Roo, Stanley
F: Milne, Kosi, Schnieder
Foll: McEvoy, Hayes, Armitage

Int: Jones, Gram, Geary

Sub: Peake
you left out the 3rd best player at the club last year.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
matrix
Saintsational Legend

well grams injured for starters

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

FB: Geary Simkpin Dempster
HB: Gilbert Fisher Cripps
C: Montagna Hayes Goddard
HF: Saad Riewoldt Schneider
FF: Milne Koschitzke Stanley
R: McEvoy Dal Santo Steven
INT: Amitage Ledger Jones

SUB: Milera

Team very very hard to pick if you inject Cripps/Ledger/Stanley/Siposs/Saad/Milera.... And with Geary looking to cement his place.

Players like Blake, Ray, Polo, Gram, Peake get pushed on the outer very quickly.

Might be a bit too much change.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Schneider would want to add some consistency to output for mine... coasts a little and if Watters is true to his word and Saad/ Milera continue to perform in VFL... he'll be under pressure

“Yeah….nah””
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:so there were twenty-six who didn't play this week.

six injured:

gram, clarke, gwilt, archer
winmar?
andreoli?

so that leaves the senior squad of twenty which will be joined by two who played well this week, most likely blake/simpkin and armo/milera from the sound of it. which gives us:

FB: Geary, Blake/Simpkin, Dempster
HB: Gilbert, Fisher, Cripps
MF: Montagna, Dal Santo, Goddard
HF: Siposs, Riewoldt, Steven
FF: Milne, Koschitzke, Schneider
R: McEvoy, Hayes, Jones
IC: Stanley, Ledger, Peake, Armo/Milera
E: Blake/Simpkin, Armo/Milera, Ray, Wilkes
Good work Bergholt, that does look like the likely line-up
Head over Neil for mine judging by their respective pre-seasons, and probably leaning towards Mozzie over Armo

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
To the top
SS Life Member

"Both Saad and Milera kicked 2 goals but it was their class and defensive pressure around the goals that stood out".

"They give genuine speed, thay can tackle and pressure and carry the ball. It's really exciting for St Kilda and Sandy to have those players playing for us".

Can you apply the same descriptions to Milne and Schnieder?

And that is my point.

Milne and Schnieder are exactly why we have an attack that struggles to kick 10 goals a game.

It is time to move on from players who do not bring the attributes referred to above.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:"Both Saad and Milera kicked 2 goals but it was their class and defensive pressure around the goals that stood out".

"They give genuine speed, thay can tackle and pressure and carry the ball. It's really exciting for St Kilda and Sandy to have those players playing for us".

Can you apply the same descriptions to Milne and Schnieder?

And that is my point.

Milne and Schnieder are exactly why we have an attack that struggles to kick 10 goals a game.

It is time to move on from players who do not bring the attributes referred to above.
About Schneider you can. Milne you cannot. But he is offensively far superior to the others.

I see your point, but there is a clear trade-off in replacing Milne and Schneider with Saad and Milera and at the moment it would have to weigh significantly in favour of retaining the status quo.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
dragit
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:I don't get it. Paul Cahill was meant to be the next big thing
When either of Saad or Milera play 200 games of AFL, averaging 2 goals and are All Australian then I suppose you may garner more support…
Milne is one of the greatest small forwards to ever play the game & was comfortably the best small forward just last year, true dinks.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

picking neil ahead of simpkin would be a really bad message.

to me armo deserves to play.

the question is peake v tezza.....