Milera or Saad

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Re: Milera or Saad

One thing Saad definitely has going for him is his scintillating, electric speed and also his tenacity and second efforts, if he doesn't get it the first time. Was also very impressed with his set shot for goal in the last (when he eventually kicked it- his set shot routine is going to bring plenty of talk) as he really kicked it long and straight. Impressive, for someone as small as him.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:One thing Saad definitely has going for him is his scintillating, electric speed and also his tenacity and second efforts, if he doesn't get it the first time. Was also very impressed with his set shot for goal in the last (when he eventually kicked it- his set shot routine is going to bring plenty of talk) as he really kicked it long and straight. Impressive, for someone as small as him.
im confident saad will play round .
milera needs a little more time in the gym but we should persevere with him. he will do some damage in the vfl.

groupie1
Club Player

On the question of Milera being too small;
"Listen lad, we love your speed, love your skills, we need you in the team. But you're too slight. You got 6 weeks to focus on muscle build, during which time you'll be doing cardio training but no skill training. Your skill training is in the twos. Get some meat on ya and we can get you in for Gram"

Why not bring him in for Peake? Peake doesn't do much that requires strength. If Milera = Peake with even more speed and better skills, get the damn kid in. Goddard went OK in his first few years, during which time he clearly needed more beef.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:On the question of Milera being too small;
"Listen lad, we love your speed, love your skills, we need you in the team. But you're too slight. You got 6 weeks to focus on muscle build, during which time you'll be doing cardio training but no skill training. Your skill training is in the twos. Get some meat on ya and we can get you in for Gram"

Why not bring him in for Peake? Peake doesn't do much that requires strength. If Milera = Peake with even more speed and better skills, get the damn kid in. Goddard went OK in his first few years, during which time he clearly needed more beef.
true. as did gartlett and plenty of others. im not saying beef for the sake of it. just in that may make a better player and more confident. but he can no doubt play a role using his outside skills and pace where beef is not relevant.

groupie1
Club Player

yeah, for sure, but i reckon we may not have the luxury. if he brings us the pace and skill we need then he should play - ahead of Gram, Ray, Peake, possibly, and we hope it doesn't take too long for him to develop the bulk and become that more well-rounded player. NDS might be another to point out. He's clearly bigger than when starting, as was Goddard, but it wasn't a reason not to play him. If we argue its a bulky man's game these days, then at least play him against GC and GWS and the softer or younger teams, where he is more similar to his oppoenents' size, to get games into him.

groupie1
Club Player

can someone give me some ideals here. Looks from this list, Terry Milera is in the ball park for height and weight, slighty slight but its only a matter 5kg, basically, to get his up to the Geary, Cripps, Jones build.

Ray, Farren 187cm 83kg
Saad, Ahmed 175cm 75kg
Milne Stephen 176cm 83kg
Peake, Brett 186cm 86kg
Geary, Jarryn 183cm 82kg
Cripps, Jamie 183cm 81kg
Jones, Clinton 183cm 83kg
Milera, Terry 183cm 77kg
Montagna, Leigh 178cm 76kg

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:can someone give me some ideals here. Looks from this list, Terry Milera is in the ball park for height and weight, slighty slight but its only a matter 5kg, basically, to get his up to the Geary, Cripps, Jones build.

Ray, Farren 187cm 83kg
Saad, Ahmed 175cm 75kg
Milne Stephen 176cm 83kg
Peake, Brett 186cm 86kg
Geary, Jarryn 183cm 82kg
Cripps, Jamie 183cm 81kg
Jones, Clinton 183cm 83kg
Milera, Terry 183cm 77kg
Montagna, Leigh 178cm 76kg
milera is already probably 80kgs
and joey at 76kg is laughable. they mustnt have changed that since he came to the club.
if cj is 83kg then terry probably only needs 3 more kg. but it needs to be "good: 3ks of muscle and strength. not just 3kg of fat. but agree milera is not far off at all. very close.

SMS
Club Player

Saad then milera then BOTH because they will be awesome!

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

If we are lucky we could get 3 Good to very good players for the price of 1

How did we get away with getting Saad,Ross and Milera for pick 20

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Sick Nal Danto wrote:If we are lucky we could get 3 Good to very good players for the price of 1

Time will tell but I believe we had a very good draft.

For Lynch we received Newnes. A mid sized flanker which we have plenty of for a skillful outside midifelder which we lack.

For Walsh we received Markworth and Wilkes. Walsh looks to be lost even at NAB Cup level and Markworth could be anything for us IMO. Wilkes may prove to be a handy pickup but really he was just icing.

From all reports Ross has had an extremely good couple of praccie matches and was in the best for Sandy yesterday. He will be a solid inside midfielder for us IMO.

I don't know a lot about the other two boys Webster and Lever. Hopefully they make it.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Sick Nal Danto wrote:If we are lucky we could get 3 Good to very good players for the price of 1

For Lynch we received Newnes. A mid sized flanker which we have plenty of for a skillful outside midifelder which we lack.

For Walsh we received Markworth and Wilkes. Walsh looks to be lost even at NAB Cup level and Markworth could be anything for us IMO. Wilkes may prove to be a handy pickup but really he was just icing.

From all reports Ross has had an extremely good couple of praccie matches and was in the best for Sandy yesterday. He will be a solid inside midfielder for us IMO.

I don't know a lot about the other two boys Webster and Lever. Hopefully they make it.
We drafted incredibly well this last period, even some of our later picks look like they have a huge up side. Newnes was featured a bit in TAC cup future stars and looks a likely type. But even our rookies look good Shenton, Minchington and Staley all look up to the task and as for seniors Jay Lever looks like he could develop nicely, Jimmy Webster is highly regarded also.Not bad for a seriously compromised draft.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

IMO Saad did enough on friday...
has the tools, and the workrate. The stats above suprised me... something about Milera... just seems easily pushed off the ball

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Milera needs more than 3kgs to get up to the sort of build some of the others mentioned are. I doubt he will play R1.
As someone else mentioned, you could almost pick Saad for his forward 50 pressure and chasing alone and any goals will be a bonus. Seeing him live at the ground it is mighty impressive just how fast he is over short distances (like up to say 20m). He can just "come from nowhere" and all of a sudden be in the contest. He just zips across your eyeline in a flash. It was his first game in 2-3 weeks, too, so I dare say he'll improve on that game and get a lot from it.

defacto
Club Player

gringo wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

We drafted incredibly well this last period, even some of our later picks look like they have a huge up side. Newnes was featured a bit in TAC cup future stars and looks a likely type. But even our rookies look good Shenton, Minchington and Staley all look up to the task and as for seniors Jay Lever looks like he could develop nicely, Jimmy Webster is highly regarded also.Not bad for a seriously compromised draft.
i totally agree. whats going to be tough is delisting enough players at the end of the year to take in a good in take from the super draft. i'd want us to take in as many kids as possible given we seem to be on the money these days.

on the outer
Club Player

Lets not get too carried away with what we have drafted and rookied. I think we are headed in the right direction and think the academy is a great idea. But history shows if we can get two or three players from the eight we have rookied we will have done very well, whether it be ability, oppourtunity, committment or sometimes injury not every draft gem proves to be a player, I remember huge wraps on guys like Ross Tungatalum, Steven Gaertner, Jarryd Allan, Luke Miles, Jayden Attard. The academy should improve the percentage of successful players but its never going to be 100%.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

That's very true, and I agree that we don't want to get carried away, but just as there can be poor drafts where only one, or maybe none, prove successful, there can conversely be others where you might get 4-5 who have very good careers. Gelong have had one or two drafts like that (in 1999 they got Joel Corey, Chapman, Ling and Enright and in 2001 they got Ablett, Bartel, Kelly and Stevie J) and we also did, in the year we got Ball, X Clarke (who would have been a ripper if he'd had a decent run with injury), Dal Santo, Goose (who, like X and Ball, got cruelled by injuries) and Joey. I imagine all 5 of them would have played 200, 250+ games without much trouble, if they'd had a decent run with injuries and general health.

on the outer
Club Player

Think you can expect a better return in the main draft I was talking about the rookies which I see as being very speculative but your right even the 2001 super draft that delivered Bartel, Kelly, Johnson, Ablett to Geelong also deliverd them Charlie Gardiner, Henry Playfair, Matthew McCarthy and David Johnson. Your right though we did really well in 2001 (barring injuries) althougn we still picked Josh Houlihan (who I remember people at the time saying was the best of the Houlihan brothers)

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Sorry I thought by "rookies" you meant all those we picked up in the two drafts late last year. We "due" to have someone come off our rookie list and do well though I reckon.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

on the outer wrote:Lets not get too carried away with what we have drafted and rookied. I think we are headed in the right direction and think the academy is a great idea. But history shows if we can get two or three players from the eight we have rookied we will have done very well, whether it be ability, oppourtunity, committment or sometimes injury not every draft gem proves to be a player, I remember huge wraps on guys like Ross Tungatalum, Steven Gaertner, Jarryd Allan, Luke Miles, Jayden Attard. The academy should improve the percentage of successful players but its never going to be 100%.
We were in a successful period and a lot of those guys lost careers due to injury though. Attards knee went and Ross cut him, Ross got homesick and Allen we all know the story. The others all could play just missed out due to the timing unfortunately we have plenty of opportunity at the moment.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Interesting article on Ross Tungatalum in the Herald Sun yesterday: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 6302042938

"Exciting small forward Tungatalum, who will play for the Tiwi Bombers against Nightcliff in the NTFL grand final in Darwin, is the talk of the Territory.

Tiwi Bombers coach Leigh Crossman described him as "one of the most talented players I have ever seen".

"His speed and skill are unbelievable and I would love for someone to explain why he isn't on an AFL list," said Crossman."

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Interesting article on Ross Tungatalum in the Herald Sun yesterday: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 6302042938

"Exciting small forward Tungatalum, who will play for the Tiwi Bombers against Nightcliff in the NTFL grand final in Darwin, is the talk of the Territory.

Tiwi Bombers coach Leigh Crossman described him as "one of the most talented players I have ever seen".

"His speed and skill are unbelievable and I would love for someone to explain why he isn't on an AFL list," said Crossman."
probably deserves its own thread. my initial reaction is maybe we got him too young.

some blokes mature late. milera is 23/24 but probably a year off being afl ready with his body. could be a gun from 25-29 though.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Interesting article on Ross Tungatalum in the Herald Sun yesterday: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 6302042938

probably deserves its own thread. my initial reaction is maybe we got him too young.

some blokes mature late. milera is 23/24 but probably a year off being afl ready with his body. could be a gun from 25-29 though.
Unfortunately topical at the moment.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Is indeed, but it looks like he's gone away and improved himself and grown up a bit (or a lot) and would be much better suited to the AFL requirements next time around (if someone drafts him).
Unless he's capable of playing a fair bit in the midfield, we might not need someone like him as much, in 12 months, if Saad and even Minchington go as well and progress as well as we hope they will.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

All we are saying/
IS give TEZ a chance

all together now!

I want the TEZ in

(against his old club kind of)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:All we are saying/
IS give TEZ a chance

all together now!

I want the TEZ in

(against his old club kind of)
Last Sunday you wanted Saad, make up you're mind.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell