Total Rethink.......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Burkey 1
Club Player

Total Rethink.......

I think we need a total rethink on a few key positons.

I will probably be nailed badly by my fellow sainters but my thinking outside the square would see Roo at Full Forward, Stanley @ CHF, Kosi @ CHB & (Sadly but desperatley need Goddard @ Full Back ).

I wish we could use Kosi & BJ in more creative positions but we just need to stiffen our ordinary defence atm.

I don't want to seem to panic at such an early stage but we just seem to need to shake a few things up a bit.

I have my armour on so go ahead and fire away. :)

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Total Rethink.......

Everything except Goddard at FB is feasible.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Love kosi at CHB.

Goddard not at full back... Much much more useful being an attacking player from HB, C or HF.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Love kosi at CHB.

Goddard not at full back... Much much more useful being an attacking player from HB, C or HF.

can we just clone him- Quickly

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Burkey 1 wrote:I think we need a total rethink on a few key positons.

I will probably be nailed badly by my fellow sainters but my thinking outside the square would see Roo at Full Forward, Stanley @ CHF, Kosi @ CHB & (Sadly but desperatley need Goddard @ Full Back ).

I wish we could use Kosi & BJ in more creative positions but we just need to stiffen our ordinary defence atm.

I don't want to seem to panic at such an early stage but we just seem to need to shake a few things up a bit.

I have my armour on so go ahead and fire away. :)
Goddard is not accountable for an opponent, he prefers to run off and point and gesticulate to his teammates to pick up his man, we need someone better than that at Fullback.

I think we need a Fullback, a CHB, a CHF and a FF, oh, i nearly forgot, and a Ruckman who is ready now, not one who will be a gun in 2 years, apparently

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
chook23
Saintsational Legend

The Kosi of today would be a disaster at CHB

saint4life
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:The Kosi of today would be a disaster at CHB
Exactly. Dont know why it is so hard for people to understand. Kosi cannot play at CHB. Too slow and not agile enough. Would be a good laugh though.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Certainly hope they continue to send him down back sometimes if the opposition are getting a run on.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Certainly hope they continue to send him down back sometimes if the opposition are getting a run on.
or if he's putting in a dodgy performance down forward...has Kosi ever done that....

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
SainterK wrote:Certainly hope they continue to send him down back sometimes if the opposition are getting a run on.
or if he's putting in a dodgy performance down forward...has Kosi ever done that....
Hi Happy :)

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Hi Happy :)
Hello K.. :D

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

My thinking is Roo at Center Half Back. He has a huge tank, is a great mark (and can spoil) and is generally a good field kick running forward. This would take a lot of pressure off him (suddenly no 3 opponents), and give us some height and rebound from defence - he would run off many CHF's. He started his career spending time down back and I believe it may prolong his career if he goes back there, and may also make us less predictable when we go forward.

By the accounts of the Sandy game today Wilkes sounds better suited to the forward line, so maybe he could be the replacement.

Of course, this should only happen if we are several games in and are losing, and Roo is having little impact on the game. If he is playing well as a forward, leave him there.

groupie1
Club Player

there's really no such thing as CHF anymore, so the question really is who you have behind and who you have in front of the ball. The idea of Roo behind it makes sense insofar as in front of it is so crowded, his natural advantages (ability to outrun, high reaching arms) are neutralised by team-oriented defenses. In front of the ball you need either a big huge bloke who can take a mark in a pack plus a handful of fast, skillful, short forwards.... or a big huge bloke who can take bring the ball to ground plus a handful of fast, skillful, short forwards. That would generate a natural conclusion it would be worth trying Kozi or Goddard as the forward 'tall' and Roo one kick behind the ball. (I know Goddard isn't quite as huge but he can bustle a pack open). Drew Petri and J Brown are the two types i think of in terms of the ideal pack markers/busters these days. Another idea might be to have Kozi and Mac rotating rucks, with Roo in defense and Goddard and Stanley forward. Stanley does bring pace, and he will drag a tall defender with him. Where Kozi brings size to the forward line, he does detract from forward defensive pressure given his pack of pace. I personally reckon rotating Roo through the midfield might be the way to go. He uses the ball well, he can get it, he's good at ground level and he has the engine. He plays the Koutifidis role. Might be a better way to use a great player than wasting him in a crowded forward line where he increasingly cannot use that engine to his advantage.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

my thoughts are gilbo will have to become more defensive.

if we can start winning stoppages hopefully our defence doesnt matter. i dont even what the ball onside the oppos 50 ever to be honest. happy to play the entire game in our 50 :D

on the flipside we could play kosi and roo out of the goal square with gilbo chf.

in all scenrios we appear one tall short. if roo could play fullback then wilkes could play ff. dunno.
we are just a quality short it seems. every option is robbing peter to pay paul.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

on the roo thing. doesnt watters have a thing about every player being able to play 2 positions?
roo only has one position. maybe he can go back from time to time. im surprised we havent used these praccie games to trial it.

crippsy
Club Player

Don't think we will see roo at chb only in small stages where needed as closing off a quarter or game etc, the fact is he has a degeneritive knee which generally means he is losing cartilage.

From his early career and nearly every year he has been having these ops to clear away the cartillage as it's degenerating. The more impact i.e running, jumping etc the faster the knee will deteriorate.

Defenders possibly now do more running moving forward, manning up on their opponent, riewoldt would be better suited in the forwardline where he can use his speed in short bursts and still be effective.

The problem with our forward line is the fact that especially in the last few years riewoldt is having more than one defender to negate his effectiveness. We need someone to step up, or not be so conscious looking for nick when we move the ball forward (and quickly and direct)

SMS
Club Player

We need to grow the toungsters i think we drafted brilliantly last 2 years time to get them
Going! When reiwoldt kosi go and stanley mcevoy sipposs archer simpkin lever stand up we will be back un the top 4

This era is over, face it embrace it and enjoy watching these talented yougsters grow! time to rebuild but good news is could only take 3 years! We should be up there again in 2015.

Reiwoldt has been a great player for us. But fast becominga liability when all he can do is crash into packs and hurt our own players! He did that in 2009 gf and while he got us into that grand final, that reckless attack on the ball without looking at the siuation lost us the game watch 5 mins to go jas blake had it was going to tap to jones or whover who was free!!!

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

1. Kosi on the monster forwards like Cloke - I remember he shut Jonathan Brown out of the game, when Jonathan Brown was in peak form (years ago I know).
2. Stanley as the second tall... should also apply more forward pressure with his speed c.f. Kosi
3.We should aim for 10 inside 50 marks as a minimum from now on and aim to share the marking around up forward instead of kicking it to midgets (who are always going to be outmarked) or Riewoldt against 3 opponents.
So try/promote Shenton and Markworth who along with Siposs can give us a lot more marking power, height and speed up forward i.e. oust all the midget forwards except for Milne.
We can only improve our dysfunctional forward line by making some much needed changes to it .. it's that bad at the moment !

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:The Kosi of today would be a disaster at CHB
kosi is a big dodo bird kosi any time would be useless.

saint scout 2

When Ben Reid started at CHF for the filth the jury was out on him. When shifted to Centre half back he flourished. I see Stanley that player for us (in time he may go fwd but..... Our key fwd set up should be Roo, Kosi and try Wilkes in the Dawes type role. We can't afford Goddard to be a lock down key backman as we need him to create and be loose to cut the opposition with his kicking. My rethink side as follows:

Dempster Simpkin Gwilt

Geary Stanley Gilbert

Fisher Hayes Goddard

Wilkes Riewoldt Schneider

Sipposs Koschitzke Milne

McEvoy It: Jones, Ledger, Steven, Cripps (sub)

Dalsanto (If Wilkes a fwd Disaster replace with one of Peake, Saad Or Milera)

Montagna

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saint scout 2 wrote:When Ben Reid started at CHF for the filth the jury was out on him. When shifted to Centre half back he flourished. I see Stanley that player for us (in time he may go fwd but..... Our key fwd set up should be Roo, Kosi and try Wilkes in the Dawes type role. We can't afford Goddard to be a lock down key backman as we need him to create and be loose to cut the opposition with his kicking. My rethink side as follows:

Dempster Simpkin Gwilt

Geary Stanley Gilbert

Fisher Hayes Goddard

Wilkes Riewoldt Schneider

Sipposs Koschitzke Milne

McEvoy It: Jones, Ledger, Steven, Cripps (sub)

Dalsanto (If Wilkes a fwd Disaster replace with one of Peake, Saad Or Milera)

Montagna
looks slow. swap wilkes with siposs. but u need to add some pace. saad or milera need to be in.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Maybe recruit a couple also.....that might help in 5 years when

Blake, fisher, Riewoldt, Kosi are no longer playing......we delisted a heap, recite zero

MrCordz
Club Player

bobmurray wrote: I think we need a Fullback, a CHB, a CHF and a FF, oh, i nearly forgot, and a Ruckman who is ready now, not one who will be a gun in 2 years, apparently
Hate to say it - I agree = we need to go for draft picks for a few years and a flag in 5

Humbly St. Kilda
MrCordz
Club Player

groupie1 wrote:there's really no such thing as CHF anymore, so the question really is who you have behind and who you have in front of the ball. The idea of Roo behind it makes sense insofar as in front of it is so crowded, his natural advantages (ability to outrun, high reaching arms) are neutralised by team-oriented defenses. In front of the ball you need either a big huge bloke who can take a mark in a pack plus a handful of fast, skillful, short forwards.... or a big huge bloke who can take bring the ball to ground plus a handful of fast, skillful, short forwards. That would generate a natural conclusion it would be worth trying Kozi or Goddard as the forward 'tall' and Roo one kick behind the ball. (I know Goddard isn't quite as huge but he can bustle a pack open). Drew Petri and J Brown are the two types i think of in terms of the ideal pack markers/busters these days. Another idea might be to have Kozi and Mac rotating rucks, with Roo in defense and Goddard and Stanley forward. Stanley does bring pace, and he will drag a tall defender with him. Where Kozi brings size to the forward line, he does detract from forward defensive pressure given his pack of pace. I personally reckon rotating Roo through the midfield might be the way to go. He uses the ball well, he can get it, he's good at ground level and he has the engine. He plays the Koutifidis role. Might be a better way to use a great player than wasting him in a crowded forward line where he increasingly cannot use that engine to his advantage.
Intelligent post outside of Roo in the middle - Roo in traffic = no good. :(

Humbly St. Kilda
MrCordz
Club Player

SMS wrote:We need to grow the toungsters i think we drafted brilliantly last 2 years time to get them
Going! When reiwoldt kosi go and stanley mcevoy sipposs archer simpkin lever stand up we will be back un the top 4

This era is over, face it embrace it and enjoy watching these talented yougsters grow! time to rebuild but good news is could only take 3 years! We should be up there again in 2015.
These are my thoughts exactly - and Ross Lyon's

Humbly St. Kilda