Milera or Saad

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Milera or Saad

Ill guarantee you one of these guys will play Round 1.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 15 Mar 2012 5:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Milera and Saad

Con Gorozidis wrote:Ill guarantee you one of these guys will play Round 1.
Watters guaranteed yesterday that we'd see them 'sometime this year'

Round 1, both, dunno about that.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

1 of them will play round 1. Definitely not both

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SainterK wrote:

1 of them will play round 1. Definitely not both

Even if they have 2 possessions between them on friday? I reckon we need to see them play a bit. Some people really do build up new players.

Gershwin
Club Player

Re: Milera or Saad

Would play Saad.
Don't need to see him in the VFL - we all know he is very good in that competition.

Play him and see what he can do.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Whichever of the two plays the best on Friday will be in Rd 1. On like Donkey Kong!

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Tomorrow night will be a good test for all of the young guys. Those that can perform in the heat of battle, will get a chance. If neither plays well, it will be a big risk to pick either for the all important "first match" of the season.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Tomorrow night will be a good test for all of the young guys. Those that can perform in the heat of battle, will get a chance. If neither plays well, it will be a big risk to pick either for the all important "first match" of the season.
I am working on the assumption (at least) one of them will play well.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Let's hope so - of the two, Saad is my pick to do well.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Think you spelt the title wrong, should be Milera and Saad

And why not, especially if Milera becomes a scoring wingman

vacuous space
SS Life Member

If one of them plays, then likely either Siposs or Stanley doesn't. It isn't a two-horse race.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:If one of them plays, then likely either Siposs or Stanley doesn't. It isn't a two-horse race.
Indeed

For me it will be fascinating who Watters picks and it will most likely flag some of his intentions for the year.

How many new players will he go for?

I will include in this group players likely Stanley who have not played much football.

We will see new blood. But will Watters go fora more rapid rebuild by picking 4 or 5, or will it be a more steady approach of 2-3? With 2-3 he can churn through players over the year giving them say 3-5 game bursts.

THE FRONT RUNNERS

Ledger has done everything right to date. And hasa good build.
Cripps also has looked good.
Sippos has been classy while perhaps needing to find the ball more...but that is what experience teaches.
Stanley. The last 2 games he has shown the promise he showed in 2010 , after an Annus Horribilus in 2011.
Saad. Love his speed, flair and athelticism. Also has a nuggety build already. Like Milera knows how to kick a goal which is something we lack.
Milera ..the excitement machine....but very lean
Simpkin...does Watter go for the steady but aging Blake...or blood the backman of the future?

Lenny is back too. So that makes squeezing in more kids ore difficult.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:How many new players will he go for?
Here's my read (based on 6 backs, 9 mids, 1 McEvoy and 6 forwards):

Defence: Fisher, Gilbert, Dempster all locks. At least one of Simpkin and Wilkes will play. Goddard looks like he'll be lining up mostly down back this year. Gwilt's spot goes to either Cripps, Geary, Gram or Simpkin/Wilkes until he comes back. Personally, I think Cripps will start and Gram will be with the midfield group. Geary's a dark horse. I suppose Raph Clarke is theoretically possible, but meh.

Midfield: Hayes, Dal Santo, Jones, Steven, Joey all locks. Gram and Ray will play somewhere. That likely leaves one spot, plus the sub, for Armo, Ledger, Peake and Polo. I don't think anyone else is an honest chance, except for Schneids, who probably starts up forward anyway. Ledger a decent chance for our first sub of the year, IMO.

Forward: Roo, Kos, Milne all locks. Schneider will play somewhere. Milera, Saad, Siposs and Stanley all chances for the last two spots. We could play Armo forward, but I hope we won't. My read is that Siposs and Stanley are the two guys to beat.

Ruck: McEvoy will ruck. Kosi will spell. Stanley may get the occasional tap. The earth will continue to rotate.

So to answer your question, I think Watters could go with as many as four round one. I'd be surprised if he didn't play at least two.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think Saad gets first crack. He's got the physique for AFL and has proven everything he can in the VFL. His pressure and pace would be of great value in the forward line and would allow Schneider to use his excellent kicking further up the ground.

Ledger is just about guaranteed a spot; has been the first name all of the coaches and senior players mention when asked about promising kids and hasn't put a foot wrong since being drafted. Siposs should also play. His skills are so valuable and he's obviously worked hard get some versatility into his game shown by his efforts in the midfield.

Cripps is probably competing with Gram and Ray for a spot. He did make quite a few mistakes against West Coast but has shown that he can be effective running the ball out of defence. Not sure on him, possibly sub.

Simpkin has been far more impressive than Wilkes and should get first crack at FB. He's an excellent competitor and Max is the perfect person to be coaching him.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

We need to address the issue of opposition defenders running the ball out far too easily. For that reason and from my limited observations of the two I think Saad plays. He seems more defensivelly minded and still has the offensive game. Lacks the skill of Milera however addresses our main concern of defensive pressure.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:If one of them plays, then likely either Siposs or Stanley doesn't. It isn't a two-horse race.
disagree old chap. i have one of them in and siposs and stanley.
i think geary and the blake will drop out. that leaves 22 according to my sums.

Im a huge wrap for cripps so i think gram is in serious trouble for a spot - as is geary.
i like saad/milney double act (betts/garlett)
but i also like the idea of having a pacey wingman who can score and assist roo/stanley as an outside player (milera).
so im 50:50 on saad v milera. but i agree with the poster above - when we have kosi and roo together in the fwd 50 the opposition just strolls out far too easily. so saad would be nice to have to put some pressure on.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

back to topic.
if one of these guys isnt in round 1 ill be dropping my strides in a public place.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Just a guess, but Saad to be our sub firts game.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Just a guess, but Saad to be our sub firts game.
Fair call.

Can we get a full game though out of both Sippos and Heath?

I assume they are both likely to play round 1.

Dunno how many "green" players we want in the side first up though. Maybe two is enough.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:back to topic.
if one of these guys isnt in round 1 ill be dropping my strides in a public place.
Thank God you've moved to Perth :P

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

So Con you reckon what should still play. I doubt either should play which I thought before tha game but as I went off early this morning I thought I would wait till after the game. Is your girlfriend/ wife disappointed with how early you go off?

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Both should play! Both better than any of the other duds I saw running around this afternoon!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:Both should play! Both better than any of the other duds I saw running around this afternoon!

Didnt both those duds play as well?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Even if they have 2 possessions between them on friday? I reckon we need to see them play a bit. Some people really do build up new players.
usually when the ones who regularly get a game just don't cut it against the good sides....some people prefer to stagnate...others look to progress

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:I think Saad gets first crack. He's got the physique for AFL and has proven everything he can in the VFL. His pressure and pace would be of great value in the forward line and would allow Schneider to use his excellent kicking further up the ground.

Ledger is just about guaranteed a spot; has been the first name all of the coaches and senior players mention when asked about promising kids and hasn't put a foot wrong since being drafted. Siposs should also play. His skills are so valuable and he's obviously worked hard get some versatility into his game shown by his efforts in the midfield.

Cripps is probably competing with Gram and Ray for a spot. He did make quite a few mistakes against West Coast but has shown that he can be effective running the ball out of defence. Not sure on him, possibly sub.

Simpkin has been far more impressive than Wilkes and should get first crack at FB. He's an excellent competitor and Max is the perfect person to be coaching him.
Saad should get first crack and an extended period to at least see if he can add more than the previous long-term small-defensive forward Andrew McQualter.

Ledger is in surely...

Cripps is in surely...I see a spot for Fazza Razza however I struggle to see a spot for Gram.

Either way if Simpkin or Wilkes play at FB this year we are going to get killed and possibly peed on afterwards by big monster power forwards.