Saints appoint Opposition Analyst

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Saints appoint Opposition Analyst

The St Kilda Football Club is pleased to announce that Paul O’Connell has been appointed to the position of full-time Opposition Analyst.

Paul joins the Saints having spent eight seasons working in part-time Opposition Analysis roles at the Collingwood Football Club (2002-2005) and the Hawthorn Football Club (2008-2011).

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints appoint Opposition Analyst

Another Hawker, thanks Pelchen?

saintkellerm
Club Player

Don't want to be negative..but do we have a skills coach...we could really use someone like that (IMHO). Very happy to have an opposition analyst, and why have we not had one before. Go Saints!

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

saintkellerm wrote:Don't want to be negative..but do we have a skills coach...we could really use someone like that (IMHO). Very happy to have an opposition analyst, and why have we not had one before. Go Saints!
We have had one before, used to be Danny Sexton (from memory) who is now one of our defensive coaches.

saintnick12
Club Player

You have to question why it's such a late appointment, though at least being opposition analyst your focus is obviously the oposition though I'm sure detailed knowledge of our own list is also critical. I guess he would have an outsiders perspective of our list from his previous opposition analyst roles - I just question why it's taken so long and why we STILL don't have anyone appointed to the position of director of the Saints Player Academy. I'm all for taking our time to get the right person, but surely these roles should have been sorted out before Christmas, not still unfilled at this point of the season.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

saintnick12 wrote:You have to question why it's such a late appointment, though at least being opposition analyst your focus is obviously the oposition though I'm sure detailed knowledge of our own list is also critical. I guess he would have an outsiders perspective of our list from his previous opposition analyst roles - I just question why it's taken so long and why we STILL don't have anyone appointed to the position of director of the Saints Player Academy. I'm all for taking our time to get the right person, but surely these roles should have been sorted out before Christmas, not still unfilled at this point of the season.
I wouldn't have thought it was necessary to appoint an opposition analyst in the summer months as we aren't playing any games. And by recruiting someone who was fulfilling a smililar role at another club means that he is already across all of the other sides anyway so he won't take long to get up to speed

saintnick12
Club Player

I acknowledged that in my post. If that's the case though, why would we still be looking for one two weeks out from the start of the season.
I would think at least post Christmas would have been a good idea, to have the coaching team working as a group etc. As Scott Watters said in one of his interviews, the NAB cup is as much practice for the coaches as it is for the players.

It is also strange to have had another big announcement about the player academy without still having the director role filled. Its been apparently been coming since before Christmas and still not filled. Most people who would likely to fill such roles would already have jobs for 2012

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:I acknowledged that in my post. If that's the case though, why would we still be looking for one two weeks out from the start of the season.
I would think at least post Christmas would have been a good idea, to have the coaching team working as a group etc. As Scott Watters said in one of his interviews, the NAB cup is as much practice for the coaches as it is for the players.

It is also strange to have had another big announcement about the player academy without still having the director role filled. Its been apparently been coming since before Christmas and still not filled. Most people who would likely to fill such roles would already have jobs for 2012

I think Danny Ryan is doing that job unoffically. I reckon thay dont have the money left over for this year to get someone else.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Im very impressed with our coaching/recruitment appointments in the last 6 months.

Not sure how we got by in the last 3 years to be honest? RL must have been one busy bee - doing about 4 jobs?

St Loxton
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote: Not sure how we got by in the last 3 years to be honest? RL must have been one busy bee - doing about 4 jobs?

Control Freak

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

St Loxton wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: Not sure how we got by in the last 3 years to be honest? RL must have been one busy bee - doing about 4 jobs?

Control Freak
Did a good job though. Isint that the main thing?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
St Loxton
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:
St Loxton wrote:

Control Freak
Did a good job though. Isint that the main thing?
Yes he did, takes all types, there is no stock model to being an AFL coach. We all know that.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Of course!
We'd be stuck on one flag if not for Rossco.
Freo are blessed to have him.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Are we picking up the "leftovers" from Hawthorn, or are all of these ex-Hawthorn appointments the "best available?"

Alternatively, could it be that Pelchen is building his own power base ?