Terry Milera

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Terry Milera

Spinner wrote:Speaking to an elderly bloke behind me who obviously knew his stuff.

Said Lenny has said he was the most skilled player he had played with. Interesting!
Hi Spinner, did you and P66 get to talk about anything else of interest on the night? :)
Last edited by Dave McNamara on Tue 28 Feb 2012 9:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Is Terry Milera the new Tommy Walsh?

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

HitTheBoundary wrote:Is Terry Milera the new Tommy Walsh?
In what sense ?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sick Nal Danto wrote:
In what sense ?
Different ancestry, different background, different playing position, different height, different weight, different hair colour, different skin colour.....

But apart from that........ :P

groupie1
Club Player

Milera surely comes in for Ray or Gram on halfback, right? He's a faster and more skillful version of F Ray. Play him. Skills win flags. Give me 22 skillful players against 22 aerobic runners and the former group wins hands down. 25 kilometers of running can't match half a dozen very accurate kicks to players in good position.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:Milera surely comes in for Ray or Gram on halfback, right? He's a faster and more skillful version of F Ray. Play him. Skills win flags. Give me 22 skillful players against 22 aerobic runners and the former group wins hands down. 25 kilometers of running can't match half a dozen very accurate kicks to players in good position.
good skills? i mean, that might be true. but i only saw him kick it a few times on friday night and one of them was out on the full by a long way. jury still out on his skills for me.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:Milera surely comes in for Ray or Gram on halfback, right? He's a faster and more skillful version of F Ray. Play him. Skills win flags. Give me 22 skillful players against 22 aerobic runners and the former group wins hands down. 25 kilometers of running can't match half a dozen very accurate kicks to players in good position.
If Milera is better than Ray we will have done very well but he has a long way to go before then.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:The question will be though, does he get enough of it and does he have the endurance to play four quarters of AFL senior footy, where he has to run almost the whole time?
You wouldn't expect guys like Milera, Saad and Ross to run out the entire season I'd expect...Cripps and Siposs both had niggles last season and couldn't run it out, most young guys do. However, must bare in mind that Saad and Milera are a little older, and Milera has been effectively playing AFL reserves, stuck in the SANFL, he hasn't come from TAC or regional league, he may stand up better than the other 2. Certainly exciting to hear these guys are doing well, but it only the first game of the NAB Cup...never trust NAB Cup form.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Sick Nal Danto wrote:
In what sense ?
In the sense that after one game he seems to have become the new anointed one on Saintsational.
(And I hope he's as good as he sounds, but let's not put too many expectations on him.)

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:The question will be though, does he get enough of it and does he have the endurance to play four quarters of AFL senior footy, where he has to run almost the whole time?
You wouldn't expect guys like Milera, Saad and Ross to run out the entire season I'd expect...Cripps and Siposs both had niggles last season and couldn't run it out, most young guys do. However, must bare in mind that Saad and Milera are a little older, and Milera has been effectively playing AFL reserves, stuck in the SANFL, he hasn't come from TAC or regional league, he may stand up better than the other 2. Certainly exciting to hear these guys are doing well, but it only the first game of the NAB Cup...never trust NAB Cup form.
It wasn't so much about him being new to the AFL that had me questioning whether he would have the tank to run out a whole game, but just whether he specifically has the tank for it. Those who have extreme speed don't necessarily have a big tank and supposedly you have to have a big tank to be able to compete in today's game, with the sub rule in play. Someone who only has an average "tank" has to be doing amazing things in the time they are on the ground, as they will be regularly taking up valuable space on the bench, with the way the game is played today.
Whether he has a big tank or not, and especially if he doesn't, he could be an ideal candidate for being the "sub" for us at times this year. He is someone who could come on and really make an impact with his run and goalkicking and general kicking.
I definitely liked the look of him so far and it will be brilliant if we get a lot of he and Saad.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
degruch wrote:
It wasn't so much about him being new to the AFL that had me questioning whether he would have the tank to run out a whole game, but just whether he specifically has the tank for it. Those who have extreme speed don't necessarily have a big tank and supposedly you have to have a big tank to be able to compete in today's game, with the sub rule in play. Someone who only has an average "tank" has to be doing amazing things in the time they are on the ground, as they will be regularly taking up valuable space on the bench, with the way the game is played today.
Whether he has a big tank or not, and especially if he doesn't, he could be an ideal candidate for being the "sub" for us at times this year. He is someone who could come on and really make an impact with his run and goalkicking and general kicking.
I definitely liked the look of him so far and it will be brilliant if we get a lot of he and Saad.

what about as a super sub?
subs usually come on the 3rd quarter. so the tank thing less important - and once the game has slowed a touch - guys with speed who kick goals can have a real impact on the scoreboard.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

What is a "super sub"?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:What is a "super sub"?
Like a regular sub but scores goals :-)

The super-sub. The player that comes on with fifteen minutes to go when his team is down and changes the game. The kind of player a manager can regularly rely on to do so but the kind of player who would struggle to play a full game week in, week out.

http://blog.sport.co.uk/Football/398/To ... _Subs.aspx
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 27 Feb 2012 8:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Oh, I see. So like Cripps? :D

Megsie
Club Player

Brother -In - Law is his mentor. encouraged him & trained him up for 2nd chance in AFL.
Gavin Wanganeen !!!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

how good was his clearance in the centre where he sold it to two blokes the wrong way before spinning on a top and go towards goal.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:how good was his clearance in the centre where he sold it to two blokes the wrong way before spinning on a top and go towards goal.
That was a nice little taster of what he is capable of, he fooled me also :lol:

I Guarantee that by the end of the season he would've overtaken Grammy as the best Candy Seller on our list 8-)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sick Nal Danto wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:how good was his clearance in the centre where he sold it to two blokes the wrong way before spinning on a top and go towards goal.
That was a nice little taster of what he is capable of, he fooled me also :lol:

I Guarantee that by the end of the season he would've overtaken Grammy as the best Candy Seller on our list 8-)

Was great candy. Even I thought we were kicking the other way until he turned back. those two dudes just bought the whole candy store.
Grammy loves to try sell leather. 'hey mate why dont you smell it before you buy it".

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Hope he can cut the mustard...we need some newbies coming through

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D