Tommy Walsh...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

crippa2sipa
Club Player

Re: Tommy Walsh...

st_Trav_ofWA wrote: As I said before you remind me of the type of person who stands near the shopping centre Santa telling the kids how stupid they are for believing in Santa ...
I must say, St Trav, comparing the intelligence of most Sainsational posters to that of "kids who still believe in Santa" shows an admirable - if brutal - degree of honesty on your part.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Well, if Longmire is fair dinkum and Tommy is a project player, then he better hope that he stays healthy and injury free otherwise they will never get two draft picks worth of games out of the man.
Personally I reckon he will get a few senior games, get found out, and then bob up and down in the magoos for a season or two before returning home to Kerry.
I saw nothing much last night which indicated a 25 year old in his third year in the system. And before I get accused of being an idiot because I am basing this on one night in February, I would just like to remind people how good he was in the international Series, and in the GAA before that. Aussie Rules isn't this man's game. Not everybody can be Taidgh Kennelly.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

He will make it.

Let's not forget according to reports, Stynes took four average season.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Not everyone can be Jimmy Stynes either mate. Those guys don't come along every season. For mine, Tommy Walsh just doesn't look at home with the oval ball.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Not everyone can be Jimmy Stynes either mate. Those guys don't come along every season. For mine, Tommy Walsh just doesn't look at home with the oval ball.
Did you think the same last year when he played for us?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Middo
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Not everyone can be Jimmy Stynes either mate. Those guys don't come along every season. For mine, Tommy Walsh just doesn't look at home with the oval ball.
So Clarky your assement of Tommy for this year would be ....?
Mine would be he struggles to get a game and is back in Ireland at the end of the year.... :wink:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

No, but I still had my doubts as to whether or not he could make it. I have seen him play in intraclub and Sandringham games and saw nothing to convince me that he deserved a place in an elite AFL team. Have you?
I heard that he played a very good game against the Collingwood reserves and that in the second half of the year he was serviceable in several other VFL matches and deserved a shot at a senior match, so I hoped he would get one.
BUT - I have seen him play GAA and International Rules with a different shaped ball and he is very good. What I saw last night was an athlete playing what I think is a game for which he may be ill-suited. Do really you think I am incorrect there?
Ironically,I am sorry Walsh left us because I think he probably would have got a lot more opportunities with the Saints than he will in the long run with the Swans, because in the long run we would have had no choice but to persevere with him. Sydney's youngsters are a couple of years ahead of ours in terms of development, and with several key retirements looming, Tommy would have had loads of opportunities even if he struggles big style.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
So Clarky your assement of Tommy for this year would be ....?
Mine would be he struggles to get a game and is back in Ireland at the end of the year.... :wink:
Why would i assess Walsh when its only Round 1 of NAB Cup.
I think he will make it and be playing the AFL for a few more years yet.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:He will make it.

Let's not forget according to reports, Stynes took four average season.
You're right it's too early to say but give him another 2 years and he might be ok but he will be 27. I think the game has changed quite a bit since Stynes in so many respects and it's basicallly a very different game that it was then.

Walsh is a great athlete and he should be proud of what he has done in the AFL It's been a phenominal effort to get this far.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I'm certainly not going to be judging his prospects on one round of the NAB Cup, but it wasn't a very good display. Being against us, though, there is also the chance that he just tried too hard to impress and that that contributed to his ordinary effort. Then there's the fact he has still not played many games of Aussie rules footy in the forward line, so it's probably going to take him some time to adjust.
Then you also have to look at how many opportunities he actually had to do anything. On one occasion he was running into an open goal on his own and was by far the best option and either he wasn't spotted, or was totally ignored (for someone in the pocket). So that was one occasion that he really ought to have kicked an easy goal, but didn't, as they didn't kick it to him. They even mentioned it in the commentary that he was free and running into goal. Then there is also the fact that for most of the night Sydney also had Sam Reid and sometimes Adam Goodes in their forward half, and like Riewoldt for us, they certainly attract the ball. Reid, for one, is one of the best marks we've seen in the league for a long time (possibly since Roo first started), so as you can expect, they kick it him a LOT. That doesn't necessarily leave Tommy a lot of chances to get a kick. Ideally he would be demanding the ball, but maybe he's just not that comfortable and confident yet. It certainly doesn't mean he won't be, or can't be.
So maybe last night was a sign that Tommy won't make it in the AFL, but it might have also just been that there were mitigating factors that contributed to him having little impact.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote: As I said before you remind me of the type of person who stands near the shopping centre Santa telling the kids how stupid they are for believing in Santa ...
I must say, St Trav, comparing the intelligence of most Sainsational posters to that of "kids who still believe in Santa" shows an admirable - if brutal - degree of honesty on your part.
Of course we are how can you not be and follow this club honestly you need a fair chunk of that delusional faith to survive one flag in over 100 years... Heck what harm is there in being one eyed pro St Kilda ? I don't agree with every thing people think of our club but I also don't get off on telling people how they are stupid for being pro saints

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Could be that Tommy's one of those players who looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. I hope so, for our sake.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Best thing about Walsh finally leaving St. Kilda is that he should clog up less of our forum.

Hopefullly he will be in the magoos most of the season and will disappear from SS.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:
see this is the type of post I don't get...
you cannot possibly be so stupid as to have actually interpreted the comment that way. You can't.

Making that assumption, ur just stirring - what's the point? Why bother? Are you like plugger in that u love ppl responding to u so much that u have to post in an antagonistic manner

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Just sick of your high and mighty righteous bullsheet you continually spout on here plugger ... Big surprise your on a St Kilda fan forum people are going to be over the top St Kilda bias .. As I said before you remind me of the type of person who stands near the shopping centre Santa telling the kids how stupid they are for believing in Santa ...

Have no idea what that has to do with me supporting Zac more than Walsh. Strange very strange.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

shouldn't this be in the opposition forum already