free agency - compensation

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Re: free agency - compensation

I doubt the compensation amounts to much. It won't come close to Ablett/Scully compo. A pick after the end of the first round at best, IMO.

People are crazy if they think Deledio and Goddard are only going to be seeking $600-700K. My guess is the top guys will be seeking $1M+ per year on long-term deals. They might not get that much, but they're going to get huge money. Teams will delist players so they can afford top-tier FAs. How many players would you delist for Deledio or Pendlebury? Unlike trade week, you can just pile up crap players until you have enough to pay for a FA. Teams with the most cap room will be able to front load restricted players' contracts and make them impossible to match.

It's going to be a crazy world with FA.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
smack

Just win the flag and this conversation is over

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
matrix wrote:thanks
its nice to know what you tink...mr afl

I hate the colour of this place. What about you? It is so important.

yep, I hate the colour of this place too, plugger. It simply must be changed back to red, black and white. How hard can it be? It has destroyed about 40% of what Saintsational was.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

The article is about whether Goddard should be a restricted free agent or an unrestricted free agent.

From the article: "Goddard's management recently sought clarification. The initial ruling was that he was restricted, but the AFLPA believes that he should be unrestricted, according to the spirit of the rules it negotiated."

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Nettlefold's "Spirit of the Contract" strikes again!!!!

WTF is this "Spirit of the Contract" we keep hearing about? What is it? Where does it live?

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
Superstar
Club Player

hungry for a premiership wrote:

The article is about whether Goddard should be a restricted free agent or an unrestricted free agent.

From the article: "Goddard's management recently sought clarification. The initial ruling was that he was restricted, but the AFLPA believes that he should be unrestricted, according to the spirit of the rules it negotiated."

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Nettlefold's "Spirit of the Contract" strikes again!!!!

WTF is this "Spirit of the Contract" we keep hearing about? What is it? Where does it live?

I was talking about this in an earlier post, the Goddard situation is interesting.

You'd think the AFL would have made the language of the rule less open to interpretation, though I guess its in the clubs/AFLPA/managers interest to exploit any loop holes they can find or even create.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

The worrying thing is that Goddard's management appears to be pushing for an unrestricted ruling.
This means that they are actively seeking to offer him opportunities at other clubs.
The only thing unrestricted free agancy does for the player is allow him to move to any club he wants even if it is for less than he is being offered by his current club.
If he is restricted St Kilda can offer him 700 K which Collingwood or Carlton can't really dramatically improve on and small improvements will simply be matched.
Unrestricted however means say Carlton can offer 700K and another 500K to work as a Visy environmental ambassador like Judd and St Kilda have no recourse.
Unrestricted free agency is ready to be pillaged by application of AFL sactioned salary cap rorts.