Paul Roos whacks Watters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paul Roos whacks Watters

8856brother wrote:
Spinner wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Justified how?

Words like 'trainwreck' and 'basketcase' was language that Paul Roos used, not Watters.

The fact St Kilda was in three grand finals has been lost on nobody, least of all Scott. Nobody has disregarded it, or not rated it highly. In fact, I find his (Watters) gushing to even be over the top at times, when he talks about his admiration for everything St Kilda.

What did you (and Roos) want him to say, this place should continue as is, be defined by your past?

And Roo's is allowed to use any words he like...

I just remember when he attacked Watter's comments, that I remember reading Watter's comments and thinking, hmmmm this could be taken a couple of ways. The specificness of the past and 'scarring' was a little vague and I can see how I could be taken the way Roos took it.

Just my personal opinion... :D
If you have listened to many in the media over the past few days, most have agreed that his comments were about looking after his good mate. To compare the state of our club and the mentality of our players to that of Geelongs dual premiership players when Scott joined them is not only rediculous but ill informed.

Roos has won no friends with his comments apart from the Ross lovers. And it's quite obvious there are a few on here.

Ok, lock the thread then if many in the media agree.

I'm a Ross lover but dont see how that has an effect on this issue. Or are we not allowed to like the friends of RL now also? Maybe Roos should not comment on anything remotely associated with St Kilda?

Hate your enemies, and the friends of your enemies. Knew I was stuffing something up.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

I'm a Ross lover but dont see how that has an effect on this issue. Or are we not allowed to like the friends of RL now also? Maybe Roos should not comment on anything remotely associated with St Kilda?

Hate your enemies, and the friends of your enemies. Knew I was stuffing something up.
Read your comments then if you don't think being a Ross lover has an effect on this issue. Of course it does just like Roosey. Those who have no emotional involvement in the issue can clearly see where Roos was coming from. Sticking up for a mate. Simple as that. Took a totally unwarranted snipe at Watters. Those who can't see that are either his mates or have a wierd kind of love of Lyon. Don't take it personally.

Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Read your comments then if you don't think being a Ross lover has an effect on this issue. Of course it does just like Roosey. Those who have no emotional involvement in the issue can clearly see where Roos was coming from. Sticking up for a mate. Simple as that. Took a totally unwarranted snipe at Watters. Those who can't see that are either his mates or have a wierd kind of love of Lyon. Don't take it personally.
So you enjoy sub rate media commentry that is biased do you? If Roos wants to keep his mates, he shouldn't be in the media then.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:I thought the attack was fair.

I remember that article and I think it was really worded badly by Watters at the time.

when i read the original article, i thought it was fair thing to say.

nothing wrong in what Watters said.

Roos is going to into bat for his friend. Roos proably will always do this. However i think he shoudl be more objective a s a commentator

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
Spinner wrote:

So you're telling me 'because im a Ross lover' that I cant see the situation clearly.

What are you? A Ross hater? Or one of these neutrals?

And all im saying is I dont think it was totally unwarranted. Even still, hating on someone for having one opinion about an Ex coach is entirely extreme no matter if you are a lover or a hater or one of this 'neutral observers'.

kaos theory
Club Player

There is nothing wrong with what SW said about the club, nothing.

The only reason Roos took the position he did in response was because wanted to paint RL as a good guy and shield him from any criticism, be it justified or otherwise.

That's fine, but he shouldn't try to pass off his 'analysis' as somehow balanced and objective.

St Sizzle

Paul Roos mate tells the club that the era is over, then jumps off what he thinks is a sinking ship for the dollars.I think that more than warrants the new coach to comment that the place wasn t in great shape when he took over and perhaps reinforce the era isn t over,just the reign of a coach whom has a huge opinion of himself.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Yes but Lyon is the greatest living coach and Freo are so lucky to have him! :sarcasm:

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
linz
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:Yes but Lyon is the greatest living coach and Freo are so lucky to have him! :sarcasm:
We will see and that will be the most interesting question of 2012.
HOW GOOD IS ROSS LYON?
I think he will be up there and there is no doubt his % winning stats are sensational. (Is it the best ever for a 100 game coach?)

The other question will be:
HOW GOOD IS SCOTT WATTERS?

I can't wait 'cause I think our players may incorporate an element of the past game plan with the promise
of a more two dimensional (or at least tweaked) game plan in 2012.

After 3 GF heart breaking losses changes had to be made. I'm unhappy to lose the leagues greatest coach but maybe he can't
deliver the flag we need. Maybe another coach can. If the Saints won the flag with lower % winning stats it would be fine by me.
Just win the frigging thing.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Paul Roos has declared himself as having no knowledge about football club politics, he is only interested in his mates. He's lost a lot credibility in the wider footy world.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Yes but Lyon is the greatest living coach and Freo are so lucky to have him! :sarcasm:
No he isint the greatest living coach. But yes, Freo are lucky to have him.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

I wouldn't say I'm a Ross "Lover," I don't love him, it's not like I want to boof him, but I do think he's an outstanding coach, and his record with the Saints and I believe also with his time at the Dockers will prove to be outstanding. Just because he's a great coach, however, doesn't mean that he's a great bloke. The two aren't mutually inclusive. IMHO, though, I don't think Ross Lyon is a bad bloke. From what I've seen, he's a good bloke, and while I can understand that many, including myself, were hurt when he left us, and the natural reaction was to believe that he back-stabbed us and he wanted us to fail and that he was an uncaring mercantile prick, now that the dust has settled and I've seen him speak on On The Couch, it seems pretty clear now that he never meant any ill-will toward the St.Kilda Football Club. He made a decision that was best for himself and best for the club. He was appointed as coach to deliver a premiership with the players on the list, not to rebuild with youth. He had his crack at what was asked of him, and he came bloody close, and IMHO he did everything possible to get us that flag, and that IT'S NOT HIS FAULT that we didn't win a flag or two. Well, maybe it is partly his fault, in fact it is, but not entirely. I'm sure that the time Ross spent at St.Kilda means a hell of a lot to Ross, he'll look back on it and cherish it, and ROSS LYON SHOULD BE WELCOME BACK TO St.K.F.C AT ANY TIME.

Re: Paul Roos - Clearly a noob. As I said above, "You don't have to be a good bloke to be a good coach," and Paul Roos is a great coach and as a bloke he's a tool. The fact that he took Watters comments out of context and interpreted them in a way that would enable him to have a free swipe at St.Kilda, the club his butt-buddy Lyon walked out on, says far more about him than it says about Watters. He knows SFA about what transpired between the club and Lyon, about why he walked out, and Lyon has said nothing bad about the club publicly or tried to demean us in any way , but Roos just interprets everything with his unabashed biased bordering on bigotry and chooses to have a whack at the new coach for saying, "I admire and want to keep some of the things that went before, but some other things we want to change." Paul Roos you are a conniving muppet and I have absolutely no respect for your opinion. Try to be more impartial and respect your position and respect your audience and don't be so arrogent and aloof.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
8856brother wrote:
Spinner wrote:

So you're telling me 'because im a Ross lover' that I cant see the situation clearly.

What are you? A Ross hater? Or one of these neutrals?

And all im saying is I dont think it was totally unwarranted. Even still, hating on someone for having one opinion about an Ex coach is entirely extreme no matter if you are a lover or a hater or one of this 'neutral observers'.