Ross Lyon on The Couch this Monday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

crippa2sipa
Club Player

Re: Ross Lyon on The Couch this Monday

SaintPav wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:65% winning record at our club speaks for himself. The overwhelming majority of Saints fans did not want him to leave.
60%
63% actually.

Not sure what you're trying to demonstrate by nitpicking over 2% when the plain facts are these:

1. Ross is the greatest living coach in our history.

2. His winning record is better than any other coach in the modern era who has coached more than 100 games.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/afl_ ... tus=&type=

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

All this talk of Lyon leaving because of some type of Nettlefold retraction is complete rubbish. I am not saying that Lyon and Nettlefold agreed on everything but here are the facts as told to me by (1) Lyon's management and (2) club sources in a position to know:

(a) Lyon had a list of demands which he instructed to Elite Sports Management as his manager
(b) his instructions to management included a minimum position for a contract extension
(c) his management negotiated a contract that was better than Lyon's minimum position
(d) the CEO took the agreement to the board to be ratified before signing
(e) the board agreed to the negotiated contract within 24 hours
(f) the CEO asked Elite Sports Management to have Lyon sign the next morning and a 11am press conference was agreed upon
(g) to the surprise of all Lyon did not turn up to sign the contract and the press conference was cancelled
(h) the rest is history

In the opinion of the club and Elite the negotiations were normal with just the normal back and forward.

Lyon made an emotiinal decision (based on some disagreements that he had with individuals) and took a massive offer from Fremantle negotiated behind his managements back that included a $1,000,000 payment on his arrival in Fremantle and another upfront payment prior to the 2012 season to help his financial situation.

However what many do not know is that while the Saints would not advance Lyon this amount of money they were willing to make a sizable advance AND a director on the board who shall remain nameless had already given Lyon a sizable 6 figure loan.

Anyone who believes Lyon's actions were "justified" has merely bought into Lyon's own justification.

Bottom line is he screwed his management, he screwed the club and left the club director not knowing whether he would be repaid as all communication attempts were not at the time accepted.

The bottom line is he left St Kilda for more money and much more of it upfront.

Everything else is mere attempts to stray discussion away from this fact.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:65% winning record at our club speaks for himself. The overwhelming majority of Saints fans did not want him to leave.
60%
63% actually.

Not sure what you're trying to demonstrate by nitpicking over 2% when the plain facts are these:

2. His winning record is better than any other coach in the modern era who has coached more than 100 games.

Your stats show me he had a fantastic list to work with. He never had to drag us off the bottom of the ladder like most, or all of his predesesors did. Stats to suit.

The only important stat IMO is that he had the best list our club has had since the Jeans era and he fell short. And as soon as he realised his chance had probably passed him by, he was out of there.

8856brother wrote:
crippa2sipa wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

63% actually.

Your stats show me he had a fantastic list to work with. He never had to drag us off the bottom of the ladder like most, or all of his predesesors did. Stats to suit.

The only important stat IMO is that he had the best list our club has had since the Jeans era and he fell short. And as soon as he realised his chance had probably passed him by, he was out of there.

Surely GT had the better list but unluckily for him we also had worse injuries.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i'm not going to pretend to have any inside sources and what have you but when you look at the time line of events and how they unfolded...

the picture it painted to me at the time was that RL had every opportunity to sign, but waited out to either leverage his deal or get a better offer. Which he did.

Don't blame him for going but I simply don't buy into the board's incompetence for not getting it done theory... they cdn't coz of RL.

Integrity Vs doing what's best for yourself is a fine line... I don't blame RL for what he did, but integrity he has not. There was no reason to be decietful

VERDUN
Club Player

Let's move on

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

VERDUN wrote:Let's move on
we have no choice.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

VERDUN wrote:Let's move on
Given GT still gets a healthy discussion, I'm thinking it may take awhile :)

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:i'm not going to pretend to have any inside sources and what have you but when you look at the time line of events and how they unfolded...

the picture it painted to me at the time was that RL had every opportunity to sign, but waited out to either leverage his deal or get a better offer. Which he did.

Don't blame him for going but I simply don't buy into the board's incompetence for not getting it done theory... they cdn't coz of RL.

Integrity Vs doing what's best for yourself is a fine line... I don't blame RL for what he did, but integrity he has not. There was no reason to be decietful
skeptic, as I said there was a little more to it than it seems.

Not everyone in the saga is good or bad. Lyon wanted more money, Saints offered more, Lyon gets a far bigger offer from Freo, Lyon takes that offer.

Now from what I was told there were circumstances that sealed the move. He probably would have left anyway, and dont forget my second info comes from someone who knows Lyon personally so it is obviously from his perspective.

look, does it matter now? Lyon did what was best for Lyon, as the Saints would have done if they had sacked Lyon. No loyalty in football.

Give up on Lyon, he is an opposition coach and really this argument is moot.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I'll go with BFUSA on this - he has good sources it seems.

Hopefully our director who lent Lyon a decent sum got a lawyer to write up a contract and secured it against a house or decent collateral. In any case, Lyon should've paid his debts by now with Freo's help.

I wish Lyon all the worst.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I'll go with BFUSA on this - he has good sources it seems.

Hopefully our director who lent Lyon a decent sum got a lawyer to write up a contract and secured it against a house or decent collateral. In any case, Lyon should've paid his debts by now with Freo's help.

Great stuff.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Well 2 posters are suggesting 2 very different stories. One source must be telling porkies. I sit in the BFUSA camp. Hope the truth does come out one day. I think the fans deserve to know what really happened.

clarky449 wrote:

Great stuff.
Thanks again Clarkey.

Got anything to add re BFUSA's post, or has it muzzled you?

FYI I think you'll find most on this forum would respect his info.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
60%
63% actually.

Ok I'm wrong but didn't you just nitpick?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The house in Templestowe went about 18 months-2 years ago !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Cant wait to watch tomorrow. I hope Scott is at least like Ross even if it is just a bit. If Scott can Coach like Ross then we will be on the right track.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Cant wait to watch tomorrow. I hope Scott is at least like Ross even if it is just a bit. If Scott can Coach like Ross then we will be on the right track.
I heard the real reason he left for WA in a hurry was because someone was stalking him. Do you know who that might have been?

Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Cant wait to watch tomorrow. I hope Scott is at least like Ross even if it is just a bit. If Scott can Coach like Ross then we will be on the right track.

just hope he doesn't frequently pick underperforming players or injury riddled players ahead of inconsistent, developing youth

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
I heard the real reason he left for WA in a hurry was because someone was stalking him. Do you know who that might have been?
Clarky's not Ross's stalker he's just a s*** stirrer. He finds it amusing to disagree with everyone. Remind you of anyone?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
8856brother wrote:
Clarky's not Ross's stalker he's just a s*** stirrer. He finds it amusing to disagree with everyone. Remind you of anyone?
Its not that i disagree with everyone, i am just alot more intelligent hence me knowing the game alot better then many of you.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:

just hope he doesn't frequently pick underperforming players or injury riddled players ahead of inconsistent, developing youth
Well if that is happening at Freo, they will most likely be in contention for a Premiership.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

Dear BackFromUSA,

Thank you for that entertaining post.
Are you really that stupid or just pretending?
Anyone with a half a brain and a little application (whether they had any inside info or not) could work out in two seconds flat that your sources are talking through their collective rectums.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:Dear BackFromUSA,

Anyone with a half a brain and a little application (whether they had any inside info or not) could work out in two seconds flat that your sources are talking through their collective rectums.
It's ok to admit you're wrong.

Dont take it so hard please.

Plenty of room in rehab now Winehouse & Whitney have checked out.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
crippa2sipa wrote:Dear BackFromUSA,

It's ok to admit you're wrong.

Dont take it so hard please.
Thanks saintspremiers old chum.
Love your posts xxx

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Has anybody noticed Crippa's joining date?
Not real sure but reckon it's pretty close to Judas'departure date.
Is it possible that they are one and the same?
If not,hard to explain the adulation!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!