Ross Lyon on The Couch this Monday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon on The Couch this Monday

clarky449 wrote:Ross Lyon is smart enough to tweak his gameplan, which we saw during last year. We saw the team play on and take the game on alot more. Ross Lyon identified what was needed to change. We lost games because the players werent good enough and may be on the down.
So Mr Lyon-lover, can you explain the deplorable coaching of your messiah during his final game with us vs Sydney?

Fair Dinkum get a clue mate. Lyon was a disgrace and embarrassment to our club in his final game. I guess your messiah was
too preoccupied with signing his Freo contract. Looking at it that way, it makes sense.

A coach with any ethics and quality as a person would not have put in a quarter arsed effort like Tosser did that night.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
clarky449 wrote:We will see a very intelligent man talk. KNows what he is saying. Freo are lucky to have him.
It doesn't happen often but I wholeheartedly agree with plugger on this one.
I think you need to re-check the source

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

crippa2sipa wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Ross Lyon is smart enough to tweak his gameplan, which we saw during last year. We saw the team play on and take the game on alot more. Ross Lyon identified what was needed to change. We lost games because the players werent good enough and may be on the down.
Thank you for stating the obvious.
Yeah I'm not that impressed with Lyon's outstanding coaching wisdom since claiming we would play a more attacking style of football; Gilbert to play forward was a misapplication, and everything after that was a jumble without direction or surprise.

Not much of a genius to get the players to play-on. Our supporters have been screaming that for two years. 2009 worked best because in my view the game plan matched the collective strengths of the playing group. When we tried to deliver outside of that we faultered. We looked best last year when new blood came in to the team and offered something fresh, which Lyon had no option to do after claiming 'end of an era'. But then was pretty quick to praise but ultimately disable this and retire to the same old same old. (look at our last performance under Lyon - disgusting)

Reckon Ross Lyon quietly thinks to himself the trick is get them fit as f*ck, and get them playing to their strengths. You'll get worked out, and then say 'gee-whiz, I'm off to another club, I'm a career coach, blah blah, work your way in, work your way out, yadda yadda'

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
crippa2sipa
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
So Mr Lyon-lover, can you explain the deplorable coaching of your messiah during his final game with us vs Sydney?

Fair Dinkum get a clue mate. Lyon was a disgrace and embarrassment to our club in his final game. I guess your messiah was
too preoccupied with signing his Freo contract. Looking at it that way, it makes sense.

A coach with any ethics and quality as a person would not have put in a quarter arsed effort like Tosser did that night.
Do keep spouting drivel like this. It makes me feel happy, calm and intelligent.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I guess we'll see, a bit to play out over the next few months.

Bomber coached geelong to premierships, yet the players say him leaving was the best thing that could happen to the club.

I did wonder if Ross moved to Freo because he had something cooking in his brain that he wanted to implement and quickly, and they had a list to suit. However the more that has unfolded, it appears by his own admission that he left because they were prepared to help out his financial situation?

Pretty confident it will be "freo footy" in 2012, with a strong focus on forward pressure and defence.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:

You should have your forum posting privelege banished. Honestly. Fair Dinkum Football Nimbats.
First about the Cricket and now Football.
We lost the final because the players were finished, they had nothing to give. Sydney were too good for us. When a team is better then that team usually win. Simple game really.
Some Supporters seem to be the only one with a problem with Ross. I mean, why call him Tosser. Are you 5? or just a clueless nimbat? Players seem to be fine with what has happened and understand the situation. But i guess you know better.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
clarky449 wrote:We will see a very intelligent man talk. KNows what he is saying. Freo are lucky to have him.
Spare me. The way you guys carry on he is some kind of molecular physicist and just cured cancer for fun.

It will go something like this:

Mike: So Ross, you know I have to ask, Do you have any regrest about the way you left St Kilda.
Ross; No regrets. I mean I might have done a few things differently, but thats all in hindsight. You know we work in a brutal industry and Ive moved on and theyve moved ok. You can look back.

some such drivel.
Yep. That's word for word I reckon.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Have to disagree Clarky this time, he didn't coach well v Sydney IMO.

He kept talking about the need to play attacking footy all week, then Dempster started in the forward line?

Firstly, why on earth would you take Dempster away from tagging one of their stars like O'Keefe (who kicked 4 goals from memory) and is the perfect opponent for Sean, or McVeigh or even Kennedy?

Secondly, attacking to me isn't exactly moving someone else defensively minded into the forward line.

By the time he moved things back, it was too late IMO. Saints worked it back by the third...but the damage had been done.

I did wonder if he'd already committed to Freo at that point, all the 'end of an era' talk etc

crippa2sipa
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Spare me. The way you guys carry on he is some kind of molecular physicist and just cured cancer for fun.

It will go something like this:

Mike: So Ross, you know I have to ask, Do you have any regrest about the way you left St Kilda.
Ross; No regrets. I mean I might have done a few things differently, but thats all in hindsight. You know we work in a brutal industry and Ive moved on and theyve moved ok. You can look back.

some such drivel.
Yep. That's word for word I reckon.
A fictional dialogue that puts idiotic words into Ross Lyon's mouth will almost invariably consist of drivel.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

You should have your forum posting privelege banished. Honestly. Fair Dinkum Football Nimbats.
First about the Cricket and now Football.
We lost the final because the players were finished, they had nothing to give. Sydney were too good for us. When a team is better then that team usually win. Simple game really.
Some Supporters seem to be the only one with a problem with Ross. I mean, why call him Tosser. Are you 5? or just a clueless nimbat? Players seem to be fine with what has happened and understand the situation. But i guess you know better.
Nimbats! Lol. You still seem to think people with differing opinions to yours are idiots.

Some supporters will be watching hoping he gets a grilling about how he left St Kilda, loyalty, retiring players etc. Others, like yourself, will be beside themselves, listening intensly, in orr of the great man.

Make sure you keep a towell handy.

Lyon's strength was also his weakness. Had great ability to get the team on board with a particular game plan, and drill this into individuals, but in the end a short-term thinker who couldn't think outside the box and it probably cost us a flag..close though we were, we have no silverware on the shelf

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

You people have no idea the real reason behind Ross Lyon's sudden departure.

It is not all that it seems and I for one, can understand why he walked from what i have been told.

Move on FFS. Lyon coahced us to two Grand Finals and we almost got the chockies.

He is gone, why this idiocy about loyalty and other BS when there is no loyalty in football except by the fans.

I wont watch. Not interested in an opposition coach unless it is someone like a Sheedy or even a Malthouse. Someone who has coached multiple premiership teams.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
crippa2sipa
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:I wont watch. Not interested in an opposition coach unless it is someone like a Sheedy or even a Malthouse. Someone who has coached multiple premiership teams.
Mathouse???
LOL

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

REal reason:They tried to link his new salary to goals kicked and neutral supporters watching St Kilda games.
Lyon was concerned his kids may have starved!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Spill the beans JB.

Why did he leave then?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

JB. You can't say I know something you don't know, well you can, but it's a little annoying actually.

I would guess similar to whiskers, that the board tried to dictate the style of play, because of the struggles to get sponsors and bums on seats because of 'saints footy'

If that is the case, they shouldn't of tried to interfere, and I'd understand his resentment...buy in, or don't.

I don't get his leaving though, surely they could all be big boys and sort out their issues?

Unless you didn't want to, and it suited you to be 'falling out'

It's sometimes human nature to find reasons to justify oneself, if not entirely comfortable with how a decision reflects on you. Perhaps the club helped ease his mind, by making it easier to break up.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Got nothing to do with style of play.

there is someone on this board that knows Lyon personally. that poster PM'ed me last year and told me Lyons side of the story.

If that person want to tell the general footy forum, thats their call. It isn't mine.

Sorry, it isn't huge, and it still doesn't detract from the fact Lyon was offered a squilion more than at the Saints, but it certainly doesn't paint certain characters as lily white, and others pitch black.

There is a lot of grey.

Anyway if the guy didn't want to be at the Saints why bother?

We have Scot Watter now, and we should move on.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Spill the beans JB.

Why did he leave then?

Because he said India would beat Australia 4-0 and that Hussey should retire.

Lance or James??

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Anyway if the guy didn't want to be at the Saints why bother?

This I agree with

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

This I agree with

Although we actually have Scott Watters :mrgreen:

Lance or James??

crippa2sipa
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Got nothing to do with style of play.

there is someone on this board that knows Lyon personally. that poster PM'ed me last year and told me Lyons side of the story.

If that person want to tell the general footy forum, thats their call. It isn't mine.

Sorry, it isn't huge, and it still doesn't detract from the fact Lyon was offered a squilion more than at the Saints, but it certainly doesn't paint certain characters as lily white, and others pitch black.

There is a lot of grey.

Because the guy did want to be at the Saints, as you well know.

Ross could have walked out at any time, especially once he knew that Fremantle were willing to pay him the big bucks - but he didn't.

Instead, after our finals campaign was over, Ross agreed to the contract terms offered by St Kilda - until Nettlefold, in a stunning act of deception, tried to alter the terms unilaterally at the last minute.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I wont watch. Not interested in an opposition coach unless it is someone like a Sheedy or even a Malthouse. Someone who has coached multiple premiership teams.
lucky u arent a cats supporter joffa. u would have sat out a premiership last year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

the board were rightly concerned with lyons lack of development and refusal to play pretty much anyone under 25.
it was obvious if this approach continued any longer we were heading for a huge cliff.
so they appointed pelchen - a known aggressive recruiter and developer.
just the excuse lyon needs to claim' interference' and go for the biggest $$ offer.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Got nothing to do with style of play.

There is a lot of grey.

Because the guy did want to be at the Saints, as you well know.

Ross could have walked out at any time, especially once he knew that Fremantle were willing to pay him the big bucks - but he didn't.

Instead, after our finals campaign was over, Ross agreed to the contract terms offered by St Kilda - until Nettlefold, in a stunning act of deception, tried to alter the terms unilaterally at the last minute.
So I assume then that you are the poster that knows Ross personally?

Freo were obviously courting Lyon the entire time, given he signed with them within what must of been only minutes of this altering of terms?

Was that when he felt justified to ring them with a 'what can you offer' kind of scenario?

I am curious, why didn't he say to Michael, I am only going to sign the contract we have been negotiating and not this modified version?

Did one persons actions hurt him that badly, that he was forced to walk out on the club and players?

crippa2sipa
Club Player

SainterK wrote:

This I agree with
Forgive me for saying so (it's just an observation), but your continuing need to invent theories as to why Ross left and his supposed psychological motivation for doing this or that suggests to me that you have not moved on at all.

As to your later post, I am not the poster who spoke to Joffaboy.