Robbo and BJ had a chat in Bairnsdale/Lakes Entrance

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Robbo and BJ had a chat in Bairnsdale/Lakes Entrance

defacto wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:if sheedy stays at gws he wont go after BJ. his strategy is get 18-22y olds and then 30-32 to get them through the next 3 years.
i tend to agree. everythings thats happened so far and the articles that have been written tonight are pointing towards GWS not really wanting goddard for the price theyd have to pay to get him to move.

the hurley situation stinks like the other situations. i think hurleys gone. he fits the age group. he fills the gap they have, can play CHB/CHF, which is a huge hole for them. they'll get another mid to replace mcdonald, try steal a young ruck like mcevoy/clarke, try get another couple of older backmen.

the worries for me arent goddard, theyre mcevoy and fisher. they fit the age group and strategy.
Gee if I was GWS I would want Hurley, he is an under rated player because he hasn't yet shown his best. GWS seem more intent on building a long term list with the bulk of there best being young. Goddard wouldn't fit the leader role and has that poor body language and demonstrative nature that would see him as a poor role model around the kids.

He would be a lead by example leader but not the guy you want mentoring. Sos would know Goddards short comings and will probably not want to fork out the money for a guy that has probably missed his chance to play in their premiership era. Hurley is going to be something special if his body holds up and he still has 10 plus years left. Imaging Patton and Hurley as the twin towers, sounds like Lynch and Brown, better than a defensive rebounder that struggles under one on one pressure and has a few good years left. I hope GWS read this anyway.
Fisher is probably past it and as the number one ruck Mc Evoy wont be pried loose easily. Bellchambers, Goldstein, Zac Clarke even Majak Daw would all suit them but only Bellchambers and Daw fits that guy who is missing opportunity and would be easy to pay substantially more.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

So nobody thinks it's strange that BJ would welcome contract talks, but says the club hasn't gone there?

Team Tommy
Club Player

I wasn't aware that BJ was so injured in round one last year as to require remedial surgery at season's end. Answers a few questions in relation to his form for me.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Team Tommy wrote:I wasn't aware that BJ was so injured in round one last year as to require remedial surgery at season's end. Answers a few questions in relation to his form for me.
Sure does. :!:

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Team Tommy wrote:I wasn't aware that BJ was so injured in round one last year as to require remedial surgery at season's end. Answers a few questions in relation to his form for me.

what bothers me, is that he was injured in round 1 but did not have surgury until the end of the season. would it not have been better for the team if he had surgery been out of the team for 4-6 weeks, then come back and play a better brand of footy?

StGoddard18
Club Player

saintly wrote:

what bothers me, is that he was injured in round 1 but did not have surgury until the end of the season. would it not have been better for the team if he had surgery been out of the team for 4-6 weeks, then come back and play a better brand of footy?
My Physio who works for an AFL club told me that alot if players play through a whole season with injuries like torn meniscus etc. So that doesn't surprise me.

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:So nobody thinks it's strange that BJ would welcome contract talks, but says the club hasn't gone there?
We have just changed coaches, seemingly a football department, had a bunch of new players come in and hired seemingly a coach for every new player.

Brendon Goddard's contract can wait considering the above is much more important and logically Brendon would know this.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:Goddard wouldn't fit the leader role and has that poor body language and demonstrative nature that would see him as a poor role model around the kids.

He would be a lead by example leader but not the guy you want mentoring. Sos would know Goddards short comings and will probably not want to fork out the money for a guy that has probably missed his chance to play in their premiership era.
I think you are seriously underrating BJ's leadership abilities, and overrating his percieved weakness as a leader..

I dont think any player thinks less of him due to his demonstrative behaviour... It isnt as common as made out anyway..

Off the field he is a great trainer and very likable, knock around guy... Not like his onfield self 24/7... If anything its a good example to be like, on the field super business like, as with training, off it relaxed and measured...

The only reason BJ wouldn't be targeted by GWS is his age and the $'s it would cost compared to who else is availible.. see Hurley, Pendles...

If BJ does stay, he is more than likely our next captain... If he's good enough for us, you'd think he'd be good enough for them...

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Loving all the positive articles at the moment. It feels as if the journos are loving that they're finally getting the interviews they want and are writing glowing articles in response.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Dont want to eat my words but some thoughts:

GWS would have already made their offers. Especially for the 'big fish'. These things would not be left to last minute... And by the time those players decide 100% (at end of year), hopefully Goddard is already signed.

They have also already obtained a number of decent players - With Scully on 600k.

Pendlebury signed a 1 year deal. This is the strangest thing ive seen. Especially given Collingwood were prepared to keep him at all costs. The way he has defended it had been rubbish (ie it will keep me on my toes etc). And its not as if there will be huge retirements to demand more money in future, these things are already known.

Surely in this day of age, where security is so important especially on the risky field like an AFL ground you would sign for more than a year, or long term. Surely he singed for 1 year for 1 reason.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
SainterK wrote:So nobody thinks it's strange that BJ would welcome contract talks, but says the club hasn't gone there?
We have just changed coaches, seemingly a football department, had a bunch of new players come in and hired seemingly a coach for every new player.

Brendon Goddard's contract can wait considering the above is much more important and logically Brendon would know this.
Disagree, why does it have to wait?

It's not that complicated, Saints tell his manager they would like to sit down at some point, contract talks are officially open.

rexy
SS Life Member

I think pound for pound Goddard is the best footballer in the league! Only reason GWS would not try and recruit him would be if his age does not suit their strategy! Cant see any issues with him as a leader either, yes he wears his heart on his sleeve and sometimes gives a spray but if you watch him he usually goes back to that player and makes amends with some encouragement or the like. Nothing wrong with high expectations when captaining a large high performance team in such a brutal sport!

BJ will stay and be the next skipper IMO.

Maybe this year?
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
So from one sentence in an article in the HS during the off season you glean a few answers to BJs form last year. Interesting.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
SainterK wrote:
So from one sentence in an article in the HS during the off season you glean a few answers to BJs form last year. Interesting.
You came to your own fair share of conclusions about BJ and his form last year, would you like me to remind you?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
You came to your own fair share of conclusions about BJ and his form last year, would you like me to remind you?
No reminder needed. BJs form last year was the focus of much debate and speculation. The reason being because his standard of performance appeard below normal. And at times his attitude seemed negative. This was frustrating to a lot of supporters, myself included. I'm not denying that.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BJ's form in the first half wasn't flash but he did hit some form in the second half of the year. It wasn't that bad of a year.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Bloody Media, the worst people in the world. Well the players seem to enjoy some of the Journos company. :roll: :roll:

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

Do you need to tip a cup of bile on every post?