Shenton/Markworth/Siposs - Medium Fwd

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Shenton/Markworth/Siposs - Medium Fwd

doppler effect wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Worth noting that Siposs is the youngest of the 3.
I could have sworn that Markworth was younger.

I am quite sure the saints website has markworth age incorrectly by a year.
I think he should actually fall between cripps and ledger in age.
you can sort by age on this webpage.

http://www.saints.com.au/TEAM/tabid/5392/default.aspx

can anyone verify this??

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Are we really in a different position with Siposs / Markworth / Shenton, as compared to Siposs / Lynch / Heyne???

Having 3 guys competing for one position is good and all, but it all comes down to ability and attitude.

I think Siposs will have an impact this year, having had a taste in 2011, as well as an extra year in the system. As for the other 2, I'd love to see them kicking bags at Sandy, and I really think that's the best we can hope for at this stage.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Are we really in a different position with Siposs / Markworth / Shenton, as compared to Siposs / Lynch / Heyne???

Having 3 guys competing for one position is good and all, but it all comes down to ability and attitude.

I think Siposs will have an impact this year, having had a taste in 2011, as well as an extra year in the system. As for the other 2, I'd love to see them kicking bags at Sandy, and I really think that's the best we can hope for at this stage.

reasonable point. we are only better off in that siposs is a year older. but at this stage you are correct. markworth/shenton = lynch/heyne.

hopefully we get lucky and one of them is a gun. we are due some luck surely.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

(Siposs) Was injured in the finals so did not test at the AFL Draft Combine. Was a Vic Country under-18 representative.

Also says Siposs was picked 77 in the AFL Draft.

May explain why he wasn't taken higher.

Another exciting thing about the three is the defensive speed we will have in our forward line. Reckon Watters will go for that.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

DK27 wrote:Siposs looks like a natural forward with limited scope to play midfield where Markworth could easily play midfield. Ie. Siposs more mark and kick where Markwoth wins the ball on the ground more than by marking. Different styles really.

Good call. Siposs and Shenton are traditional fwds. Markworth could end up a 190cm midfielder which would be very handy!

Seems like all these 3 guys can play tthe game. Not a bad problem to have.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
DK27 wrote:Siposs looks like a natural forward with limited scope to play midfield where Markworth could easily play midfield. Ie. Siposs more mark and kick where Markwoth wins the ball on the ground more than by marking. Different styles really.

Good call. Siposs and Shenton are traditional fwds. Markworth could end up a 190cm midfielder which would be very handy!

Seems like all these 3 guys can play tthe game. Not a bad problem to have.
Yep Markworth will be a midfielder, reminds me a lot of Pendlebury, same easy style and loads of time

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

big call but good call. i think markworth is very quick off the mark.
and with his height and pace could be a gun midfielder.
Siposs certainly the incumbent HFF/FP but Shenton might do some real damage at VFL level and push for promotion.

defacto
Club Player

all these comments on are developing player are bloody exciting. the nab cup is going to be very exciting. ross, cripps, ledger, simpkin, curren, markworth, saad, milera. how long has it been since we've had this many young developing players with this much interest around them. the first nab cup game is going to be very exciting to see how the developing players go.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:all these comments on are developing player are bloody exciting. the nab cup is going to be very exciting. ross, cripps, ledger, simpkin, curren, markworth, saad, milera. how long has it been since we've had this many young developing players with this much interest around them. the first nab cup game is going to be very exciting to see how the developing players go.

I think two or three drafts ago we got in as many if not more players than now and we ended up getting bugger all out of it. The same comments were written then as they are now about the players. Facts suggest most players will fail but we need to get one or two long term stars out of it so they are at their prime in 5 years time. If we get that then we have done well. Most others will fail or at best be GOPS in an ordinary side which we will become as soon as our older players retire.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Markworth is way faster than Pendlebury

It's weird with him, he has the same build as Fyfe/Heppell But is much faster

I'm not going to use the P word (potential) but he has a lot to work with

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:all these comments on are developing player are bloody exciting. the nab cup is going to be very exciting. ross, cripps, ledger, simpkin, curren, markworth, saad, milera. how long has it been since we've had this many young developing players with this much interest around them. the first nab cup game is going to be very exciting to see how the developing players go.

I think two or three drafts ago we got in as many if not more players than now and we ended up getting bugger all out of it. The same comments were written then as they are now about the players. Facts suggest most players will fail but we need to get one or two long term stars out of it so they are at their prime in 5 years time. If we get that then we have done well. Most others will fail or at best be GOPS in an ordinary side which we will become as soon as our older players retire.
Geez isnt your glass half full today!!!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Geez isnt your glass half full today!!!
Sorry but I said is just about fact. Dont like it put me in the ignore list. Anyway saying I hope we get 1 or 2 stars out of it is half full stuff.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Plugged for once I tend to agree with you - but there is nothing wrong with some optimism is there!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

WinnersOnly wrote:Plugged for once I tend to agree with you - but there is nothing wrong with some optimism is there!
Pretty much my point. Odds are against the draftees I agree but there are exceptions to all rules. In 99 the cats got Enright, Chappy, Ling and Corey, thats 4 stars and it does happen here and there. Thats all I was saying.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
defacto
Club Player

if cripps, ledger and siposs work out thats 3 in one draft.

if ross, markworth, webster work out thats another 3.

then we've got saad, milera and wilkes as mature age recruits. theres another 3.

curren, ferguson as rookies are progressing nicely.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Was watching a video on bigpond where they were interviewing afl recruiters

He was saying how hard it was to get just 2 long term players let alone stars

I think the difference between the last two drafts and and lets say the 2009/10 is DEVELOPMENT

Recruiting is only half the task, and that's where I think we were going wrong

Scotty and Chris have obviously seen it and acted

gringo
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Plugged for once I tend to agree with you - but there is nothing wrong with some optimism is there!
Pretty much my point. Odds are against the draftees I agree but there are exceptions to all rules. In 99 the cats got Enright, Chappy, Ling and Corey, thats 4 stars and it does happen here and there. Thats all I was saying.

The last group of youngsters the cats got look pretty good too. Maybe it's our turn. Crocker was my pick of them in last years NAB but Cripps and Ledger obviously got a jump on him. With Siposs as well looks like a mighty effort.

We seem to have at least gone for exciting now most seem quick and have goal sense. We seem to have loaded up on slow, poorly skilled plodders under Lyon then left them to rot in the VFL.

defacto
Club Player

we certaintly stacked up on medium talls, outside mids.

we seem to be fine around the spine. next stop KPP.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sick Nal Danto wrote:
I think the difference between the last two drafts and and lets say the 2009/10 is DEVELOPMENT
Strongly disagree.

Last years picks with virtually no DEVELOPMENT impressed immediately.

Our club for several+ years became shyte at drafting kids.
We turned the corner in the 2010 draft.

The latter years of GT and most of Lyon's period had to put up with a pretty inept recruiting department when it cam to identifying young talent..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Sick Nal Danto wrote:
Strongly disagree.

Last years picks with virtually no DEVELOPMENT impressed immediately.

Our club for several+ years became shyte at drafting kids.
We turned the corner in the 2010 draft.

The latter years of GT and most of Lyon's period had to put up with a pretty inept recruiting department when it cam to identifying young talent..

And lets face it we have no idea really about the last 2 years either. Yes a few who played last year look promising but none of them played over 4 games. It is way to early to call.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Siposs is a beautiful and intelligent kick....a great kick at goal, but also a potential lethal weapon at setting up play. ie think back to that game where he set up 3 goals for Roo. So Siposs could potentially play further up the ground. I could envisage Siposs and BJ being designated kickers that team-mates get the ball too.

Was pleased to see him play the "further up the ground role" in the NAB and I thought he looked very good doing it.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am getting more and more convinced on siposs. He just looks so good.
Reports suggest Markworth will be a midfielder. I think we have done really well in the last 2 drafts - after a few well documented lean years..... As someone said above next draft we will be going for KPPs.
Massive fan of Shentons hair-do. Hope he grows the beard as well and just goes full cave-man.