Beaten to the punch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Beaten to the punch

meher baba wrote: I think the GWS/GC expansion has detracted from the game in it's heartland, taking an entire cohort of quality young players out of reach of the perenially struggling clubs. The AFL might end up gaining a few hundred new fans in Sydney at the risk of losing tens of thousands of fans in Melbourne to soccer.

Yes, at the moment the greater national spread of teams has benefits in terms of TV rights. However, given that bugger all people watch the game on TV in NSW and Queensland, this is a bit of a market anomaly which will eventually correct itself. Then what?

The dustbin of corporate history is filled with businesses that failed because, while they were distracted by dubious expansion schemes into new geographic areas, someone else came and stole their core customers. This might happen to AFL.
which maybe where St Kilda can forge it's future- Victoria..- Melbourne..

I see there is a new push for a stadium in Ballarat- with North suggesting 4 games- so they may be IN Melbourne but playing 6 games out of the City.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
defacto
Club Player

i would love to see the club embrace NZ although we kind of burnt that bridge a little. has a bit of potential. we've kind of missed the tasmanian boat.

older saint
SS Life Member

defacto wrote:i would love to see the club embrace NZ although we kind of burnt that bridge a little. has a bit of potential. we've kind of missed the tasmanian boat.
Problem with NZ is two fold:
1. Small population
2. Economy is struggling

citywest

older saint wrote:I read with disappointment on the AFL website that Richmond is looking at playing an exhibition game in India.

Over a year ago I wrote on here the potential of India in terms of exposure and potential sponsorship . While I was shot down here by the vast majority as a ridiculous idea I also emailled the suggestion to the club which I got no response from either.

While it may amount to nothing it is disappointing the club does not think outside the usual .

India has the potential to be bigger than China economically, has a large population within Melbourne, and has facilities for exhibition games already. A link with an Indian company looking to break in to the global/Australian market would be a win win and would also potentially increase supporters / members through the association, with those living in Melbourne. Going there playing an exhibition game and doing some community work would build a link.

As i said perhaps Richmond will amount to nothing, and perhaps the club explored the option and knows it is a waste of time, but to me India if not already is the next China economically
In essence I agree with you older saint. The Saints also 'missed the boat' with Tassie. Very short sighted decision in my book. Look at Hawthorn and what they have been able to do $$$$$.

Historically, St Kilda have been very bad in promoting our club. No foresight or reall plan to improve our status off the field. We should be looking at these options going forward. Nothing wrong for example in playing a Nab cup fixture + 1 home and away game in Tassie, and looking at playing a practice match in New Zealand/India.

bozza1980
Club Player

meher baba wrote:I think the GWS/GC expansion has detracted from the game in it's heartland, taking an entire cohort of quality young players out of reach of the perenially struggling clubs. The AFL might end up gaining a few hundred new fans in Sydney at the risk of losing tens of thousands of fans in Melbourne to soccer.
Uhh??

This is ridiculous.

How two new teams changes your desire for your team to win a premiership to such an extent that you decide to follow a different sport, is beyond all logical reason.

But why use logic or reason when we can scream the sky is caving in.....
meher baba wrote:The dustbin of corporate history is filled with businesses that failed because, while they were distracted by dubious expansion schemes into new geographic areas, someone else came and stole their core customers. This might happen to AFL.
Further rot.

History is equally full of companies that went from market leaders to insignificant because they didn't take a risk.

Also I don't understand the implication that the AFL is ignoring their core customers in Melbourne.

The AFL is providing better for Melbourne fans this year than they ever have.

FTA there will be 4 live games a week, never happened before.

If you throw in Fox, there will be 9 live games shown every weekend, never happened before,

and my side will play 16 times in Melbourne, like they have every other year for the last 10-15 years.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
resaintlee
Club Player

When you travel in NZ you see that Union is dominant and League is a lesser sport. I would see any advance into NZ as pointless.
As for India, apart from the gambling issues the AFL might see explode infront of them, there is no reason it shouldn't take off as I reckon kids over there are crying out to play something.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
older saint wrote: India has the potential to be bigger than China economically,
A bit like we had the potential to have had 5 flags. Actually no, we had a greater chance to have had 5 flags up until now than India has of being bigger than China....erm...no.
why not? india's population will overtake china's in the next ten years, and by 2050 india's predicted to have 50% more people than china.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailycha ... rojections

pretty sure india's economy will be the biggest in the world at some point, though it might take a while.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Just imagine if AFL took hold in India.

They would pay 16 million a year for one of our players for there new 3 minute quarters, super footy league.

Mummy's boys generally don't like contact sports anyhow.

Bring back the Lockett era
matrix
Saintsational Legend

first off they should start doing a bit more for interstate supporters
there is always shite loads of 'supporters' interstate that arent members

while focusing on on whats been mentioned in this thread is of huge importance they need to have something in place to really try and grab all interstaters that follow the club and turn them into members
i know up in brissy and over in perth they do some good things like functions etc
but over here not much gets done
basically they fly in, play the game, and then fly out because its only an hour away to melbs
but theres no match function, no meet and greet, bugger all for the kids, ok granted they had some auskick thing or something down at nth adelaide once
but crikey
i can remember the upstairs bit after crows and port games being packed, PACKED!
so packed in fact we werent allowed in and had to kick up a massive stink outside to be let in
players everywhere, kids everywhere, people signing up,
granted that room is too small upstairs (well not recently as no one from the side turns up accept the ceo for a 5 min talk)
but blimey there are HEAPS of people that follow the club but arent members because they think that being interstate they get f*** all

if ALL games in your home state were included in your membership that might be a good start
get the most you can of what you have on this soil
then look outside

2cents

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Some kind of link to a new market would be a ripper idea at some point.

Are we still exploring New Zealand opportunities?

That was on the cards at some stage.
Bump 8-)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Cricket is a religion over there and they don't care much for anything else. Hockey and Soccer are a distant 2nd and 3rd sport
You're right, but times are changing. There's now a large and growing middle class with the time and resources to diversify their interests.