Shenton/Markworth/Siposs - Medium Fwd

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Shenton/Markworth/Siposs - Medium Fwd

Seems we now have 3 medium sized forwards at the club.
Presumably we can only play one of these 3 at a time.
Who do people think will make the most impact in 2012 from these 3?

Can we have a vote?

Gershwin
Club Player

Re: Shenton/Markworth/Siposs - Medium Fwd

Really like Siposs.
If we can get 1-2 goals out of him each week and he seems to be able to create goals for others I will be very happy.

summertime and the living is easy ........
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Seems we now have 3 medium sized forwards at the club.
Presumably we can only play one of these 3 at a time.
Who do people think will make the most impact in 2012 from these 3?

Can we have a vote?
Don't care as long as one of them does. Siposs will get the first oportunity this year IMO

Club Player

Siposs will have the most impact this year. He gave us all a taste of talent from the few games he played last season and he'll take a another big step forward this season.

Markworth may not even get a game this year. Looks like a good prospect but still young.

Shenton looks really good from the limited footage there is of him. I'd like to say that he will have impact this year but unfortunately he is only a rookie and will have to wait a bit longer for his chance.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

doppler effect wrote:Siposs will have the most impact this year. He gave us all a taste of talent from the few games he played last season and he'll take a another big step forward this season.

Markworth may not even get a game this year. Looks like a good prospect but still young.

Shenton looks really good from the limited footage there is of him. I'd like to say that he will have impact this year but unfortunately he is only a rookie and will have to wait a bit longer for his chance.

Worth noting that Siposs is the youngest of the 3.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Siposs, having played a couple of games would be in front at this stage. Having said that I like the idea of 3 guys competing for the 1 spot. It then comes down to who wants it the most !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

doppler effect
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Worth noting that Siposs is the youngest of the 3.
I could have sworn that Markworth was younger.

PJ
SS Life Member

I think you'll get to see all three in the NAB and maybe a couple throughout the season. You'd think Sipposs would be in front at this point but it depends on how they're fitting into the structure.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Could easily see more than one in the team together...but maybe not in 2012.

Markworth with his pace I could see becoming a fast leading FP...

Siposs is a beautiful and intelligent kick....a great kick at goal, but also a potential lethal weapon at setting up play. ie think back to that game where he set up 3 goals for Roo. So Siposs could potentially play further up the ground. I could envisage Siposs and BJ being designated kickers that team-mates get the ball too.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Could easily see more than one in the team together...but maybe not in 2012.

Markworth with his pace I could see becoming a fast leading FP...

Siposs is a beautiful and intelligent kick....a great kick at goal, but also a potential lethal weapon at setting up play. ie think back to that game where he set up 3 goals for Roo. So Siposs could potentially play further up the ground. I could envisage Siposs and BJ being designated kickers that team-mates get the ball too.
im just talking 2012. hopefully they all become regulars down the track. but i think it will be very competitive between these 3 guys for 2012.
Siposs is still very young so I think 2012 might still be a development year for him. I think Markworth might be a bolter.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Shenton is a pretty exciting prospect and at an age where he could just jump in and go. He could be something special. Markworth should be a development proposition and Siposs should get more time under a new coaching structure. Exciting times.

DK27
Club Player

Siposs looks like a natural forward with limited scope to play midfield where Markworth could easily play midfield. Ie. Siposs more mark and kick where Markwoth wins the ball on the ground more than by marking. Different styles really.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

im pretty excited by all these 3 guys to be honest.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Really, really like what I've seen from Siposs but I, like, I'd presume, the majority of posters on here, have never seen Markworth or Shenton play, so it's impossible to judge!

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
thequarry
Club Player

I think everyone likes what they've seen of Siposs - he may not have got the ball a whole heap (of course, it was his first few games) but when he did get it he used it very handsomely. Not only that, but he used it well in whichever part of the ground he was (as per what saintsRrising said). I thought he still looked a bit lean when I went to the pre-Christmas training, I'd like to hear what others thought. Either way, he's the obvious choice of the three at the moment.

Markworth, by all accounts (I've only seen limited footage so I'm going on what I've read others say about him), seemed to have slipped through in the draft that far because of doubts over his kicking and is probably a bit raw. Otherwise he seems to be well rated, particularly his character.

I know very little of Shenton apart from the highlights of him on YouTube - certainly doesn't look too bad and I'm really looking forward to seeing him and Markworth play in the flesh.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Will be interesting, they all have different things going for them,

Markworth is the superior athlete, particularly elite pace of the mark… rated very highly for 1 percenters too…

Siposs is a beautiful kick, especially set shots for goal, which is invaluable…

Shenton is the right age, a little bulkier than the other 2 and looks to relish a contest…

I'd be happy if they played 4-5 games each to see how they perform at the top level, some guys swim and others don't.

Another thing to consider is their drafting positions - 35, 75 & 30 in the rookie draft,

which should suggest that we will get more out of Markworth and the other 2 are very speculative picks.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Just to put a spanner in the works, dont forget that Watters has said that Lenny will have time forward this season, so he could easily be our new medium forward, at least until he gets match fit. I would love to see him play a Hamill role. One of the few Saints who could.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Just to put a spanner in the works, dont forget that Watters has said that Lenny will have time forward this season, so he could easily be our new medium forward, at least until he gets match fit. I would love to see him play a Hamill role. One of the few Saints who could.

Is this the same Lenny Hayes who has played for us for about 10 years? How could lenny play the Hamill role. He cant mark at all for a start. Lenny will play in the middle all year.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Just to put a spanner in the works, dont forget that Watters has said that Lenny will have time forward this season, so he could easily be our new medium forward, at least until he gets match fit. I would love to see him play a Hamill role. One of the few Saints who could.

Is this the same Lenny Hayes who has played for us for about 10 years? How could lenny play the Hamill role. He cant mark at all for a start. Lenny will play in the middle all year.
I've missed you Plugger… I'm expecting a big year of grumpiness from you

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

You cant teach a Len-dog new tricks.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I've missed you Plugger… I'm expecting a big year of grumpiness from you

Am I grumpy because I reckon Lenny doesnt play like Hamill. Would have thought that was just common sense. Strange what some think is grumpy.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Don't know why people are saying Siposs needs to put on more weight

He has put on 5 kgs so far

To put that into perspective he is now the same height and weight as Stevie J (189 cm & 87kg)

I think they are pretty similar in that they are not pure athletes but are definitely footballers

Stevie J took a while to come on, but if we can develop Arryn into a 30+ goal a year forward that would be a good result

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Watters has said that Lenny will spend more time forward this year. I am the one saying I would like to see him in a Hamill like role which I think he can manage, with his toughness and tackling. But one of our resident experts thinks he cant mark like Hamill so that is the end of it. Crap. Aaron Hamill brought more to our forward line than a few marks. It was his ability to keep the opposition worried that I admired.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Is this the same Lenny Hayes who has played for us for about 10 years? How could lenny play the Hamill role. He cant mark at all for a start. Lenny will play in the middle all year.[/quote]
I've missed you Plugger… I'm expecting a big year of grumpiness from you[/quote]

Am I grumpy because I reckon Lenny doesnt play like Hamill. Would have thought that was just common sense. Strange what some think is grumpy.[/quote]

If you think of Hamills skill it wasn't incredible marking prowess, straight kicking or ground level skills, it was his attack of the man and second and third efforts. 2 goals and plenty of tackles and making the defenders turn the ball over was a good day out for Aaron.

In that regard there is nothing wrong with assuming he is capable of doing that defensive forward with a psychotic application to tackling and aggression role. Grumpy because you disregard others with out considering their opinion, just a total black and white view with a focus on denying people their opinions. You post like Aaron Hamill.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Is this the same Lenny Hayes who has played for us for about 10 years? How could lenny play the Hamill role. He cant mark at all for a start. Lenny will play in the middle all year.
I've missed you Plugger… I'm expecting a big year of grumpiness from you[/quote]

Am I grumpy because I reckon Lenny doesnt play like Hamill. Would have thought that was just common sense. Strange what some think is grumpy.[/quote]

If you think of Hamills skill it wasn't incredible marking prowess, straight kicking or ground level skills, it was his attack of the man and second and third efforts. 2 goals and plenty of tackles and making the defenders turn the ball over was a good day out for Aaron.

In that regard there is nothing wrong with assuming he is capable of doing that defensive forward with a psychotic application to tackling and aggression role. Grumpy because you disregard others with out considering their opinion, just a total black and white view with a focus on denying people their opinions. You post like Aaron Hamill.[/quote]

Looked up grumpy in the dictionary and what you mentioned doesnt have anything to do with the word. I would call it excellent footy knowledge.