Clearance players top 3

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DWOODROW
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:You need more than 6 in a game and that was our problem last year. We probably only had 6 or 7. With Lenny coming back and Ladger in his second year that will help but again I expect it to be our main issue. BJ isnt a clearance player but Dal did come on last year in that area and Steve really seems to be a great clearance player because he can actually run with the ball when he gets it. Probably need at least 10 players rotating through the middle in games.
All good. But who are top 3? Agree that BJ is rubbish at clearances.
Well Lenny is number one and clearly. Armo gets a lot of clearances but they arent really good clearances for the side so I would have Dal at 2 and Steven at 3.
Unless someone gives it to the opposition how can a clearance be bad for the team???? :?:
Sorry I must have missed the post where I said they were bad for the team. I just think Armo's clearance work doesnt help the team a great deal because he doesnt run and carry it much at all. He does get the ball in clearances but it is usually under extreme pressure. I think Armo is a reasonably good player but IMo he isnt in our top 3 at clearances. Surely it isnt a crime to have that opinion.
Not at all. I was just bemused as to how a clearance for the team could not be a good clearance for the side. Anyway cheers.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Lenny

Montagna

Dal Santo

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Player Clearance Rankings from last year

Clearances

Dal Santo - 5.4 average - 23 games
Hayes - 5.0 - 2 games
Montagna - 4.4 - 21 games
Jones - 3.7 - 23 games
Gardiner - 3.0 - 1 game
Steven - 2.9 - 21 Games
Armitage - 2.8 - 22 games
Godddard - 2.2 - 23 games
Ray - 2.1 - 21 games
Gram - 1.7 - 20 games

For other 2011 statistical rankings click on link below

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/tea ... E3&tid=113

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

That mean we have all massively underrated Joey?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Rosco
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:That mean we have all massively underrated Joey?
yep

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:That mean we have all massively underrated Joey?
yep
well yes and no.
we under-rated him relative to others but lets not turn this stat into something its not. 14th in the afl stinks to high heaven.
so everyone needs to get better.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Lets hope some of the 2010 and 2011 crops can join our elite clearance players.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Well considering that Gold Coast, Brisbane and Port all had about the same amount of clearances as Geelong in 2011, the 'number' of clearances would seem to not be a very important stat anyway.

Sydney lead this stat comfortably, but probably only because of the style of game which they inflict upon everyone.

And yes Joey is often under-rated on here, particularly his inside work…

I think that our top 3 are doing the job, we need another 2-3 others to step up if we are to get anywhere, Hopefully Ledger, Steven and Armo can be the ones, be nice if Ross turned out to be a first-year gun too…

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Well considering that Gold Coast, Brisbane and Port all had about the same amount of clearances as Geelong in 2011, the 'number' of clearances would seem to not be a very important stat anyway.

Sydney lead this stat comfortably, but probably only because of the style of game which they inflict upon everyone.

I think that our top 3 are doing the job, we need another 2-3 others to step up if we are to get anywhere, Hopefully Ledger, Steven and Armo can be the ones, be nice if Ross turned out to be a first-year gun too…
Great post agree.

Its about quality of depth and a young bolter would be awesome.....

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Well considering that Gold Coast, Brisbane and Port all had about the same amount of clearances as Geelong in 2011, the 'number' of clearances would seem to not be a very important stat anyway.

Great post agree.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Great post agree.

“Yeah….nah””
lefty
Club Player

Armo is probably our number one in and under, and Lenny as well. Just Ross wouldn't play Armo there long enough, so frustrating....

BJ and Dal are smooth and smart user's of the ball, you want these guys to kick/hit up targets, while armo, lenny and stevens are they ones to get the ball out to them. CJ is our tagger, not a in and under ball getting imo.

Ray and Peake are our runners... hope Ray has a better year than last year.

Peake showed he can step up (middle of last year was mint), but he needs to be able to do it week in week out.

Might be interesting if Dempster can play in the midfield. I loved the way he went about it last year, was solid, does his role, doesn't complain :)

Also look forward to seeing Ledger, Cripps, Crocker if ready? etc :)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Joey is still your outside mid with clearances coming from his running work and getting into position rather than contesting the ball in the pack. There should be two stats for the clearances same for Dal a lot are from being ready with quick hand rather than being on hands and knees dishing out in a contested situation.

that said Joey always gets under rated for his output.

He just makes it look effortless so you don't notice him. I have been at games that I thought he hardly touched it only to find that he had 30 + possies. He needs a blond mohawk or something.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

We must be great in this area to feebly surrender one of the best in Luke Ball, Sorry forgot he wasn't fast enough and didn't "spread" enough for Judas.Ah well at least he brought Magpies undone with all his negatives.Just glad we got that " speedy " spreader in Lovett!Once again thanks for nothing Lyon.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

DEAN POLO

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

millarsaint wrote:DEAN POLO
Should not get a game before Cripps, Ledger, Ross etc

saint6709
Club Player

if Armo can learn to stay on his feet more - he will be good

PJ
SS Life Member

Would be interesting to compare our clearances players with the leagues best.

I guess in the end i just got sick of watching the ball come straight out of the centre towards the opposition goal. Gards and lenny were a great combination to watch.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re:

Sick Nal Danto wrote:
millarsaint wrote:DEAN POLO
Should not get a game before Cripps, Ledger, Ross etc

I totally disagree with that sentiment -if he lifts his game to a higher level he should have the same opportunities as any player on our list. The best player should have their positions if they earn them.

Players that aren't performing should be left out. Polo wasn't our worst and players like him Geary, Ray, Gram, Clarke etc. should all earn their spots. If they don't perform they should be overlooked for kids. Sean Dempster was the classic "why is he getting a game?" player. He lifted himself from an inconsistent utility to a strong defender and won the B&F.

We have a pretty exciting list and some kids coming through that should have the fringe guys looking over their shoulders. That pushes the players above them to perform or perish.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Re:

gringo wrote:Sean Dempster was the classic "why is he getting a game?" player. He lifted himself from an inconsistent utility to a strong defender and won the B&F.
Well he got close :)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Re:

Dr Spaceman wrote:
gringo wrote:Sean Dempster was the classic "why is he getting a game?" player. He lifted himself from an inconsistent utility to a strong defender and won the B&F.
Well he got close :)

Thats right Fisher won, don't let facts get in the way of a good story Spacey.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Clearance players top 3

I'm trying to get a gig with the Herald Sun, by bypassing facts I am putting myself in a strong position. I just need to run the car into a pizza shop and i'm in.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I'm trying to get a gig with the Herald Sun, by bypassing facts I am putting myself in a strong position. I just need to run the car into a pizza shop and i'm in.
:D

But why not aim even lower?

There's always SportsNewsFirst :P

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately true, I hope the AFL are still looking for "journos" for their website.