Best 22 for Rd 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I am trying to add pace and speed and fastnest and quicker-than-them to our side. And I dont expect the selectors to follow my lead!
Then why wouldnt Joey get a game?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:I am trying to add pace and speed and fastnest and quicker-than-them to our side. And I dont expect the selectors to follow my lead!
Ok side, but you tip out Montagna whose best asset is run, seems to have a tank to go all day, and now gets more contested poss :shock:

No room even on an expanded I/C bench for Montagna, Schneider, Gwilt, Ray or Peake? These would help with 'fastnest' as well.....

Hold your ground :shock:
elizabethr
Club Player

From memory the''fastness''is a yacht race. :o

nothing to say
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Montagna

Two times runner up b&f and a third??
Dual all Australian??
5 goals and 38 possessions vs Sydney???

I think he is pretty much an elite mid.....in STk's top three in most stat categories since 2006......consistent, damaging, tough, hard runner, skillful and finds the pill......

I think he has a few fringe hopefuls covered.....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

B: simpkin (gwilt) Blake. Dempster

HB: Ray S. Fisher. Gram

C: Goddard. Hayes Gilbert

HF: Siposs. Riewoldt. Montagna

F: schnieder. Koschitzke. Milne

Foll: McEvoy. Dal Santo. Jones

Int: Armitage. Steven. Peake. Cripps

Emerg: Ledger. Clarke. Saad
[/quote]

quidnunc
Club Player

In this topic I can see that one particular poster has a lot to contribute but fails to contribute their own team for comment. To those that have - nice to read your thoughts even though I may not agree with them.

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
Rosco
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Spinner wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I will have a go with a team that I would like to see, but probably wont.

B.. Gram Wilkes Fisher
HB.. Clarke Stanley Dempster
C Milera Hayes Goddard
HF Sipposs Riewoldt Steven
FF Milne Kosi Cripps
R McEvoy Dal Santo Armitage

Int. Ledger Gilbert Jones Sub.. Ross/Markworth/Newnes

Could'nt find room for Montagna, Polo, Ray, and a few others.
newnes and raph ahead of montagna. thats the comedy thread for the year.

So Montagna isn't as good as our new draftees, even as a sub.
i will say one thing. everyone seems to think wilkes is a direct replacement for zac at fullback.

i think simpkin will be given first (and hopefully last) crack at fullback.

i reckon we might find wilkes at ff if/when he plays.
i'm on board with that, but it leaves a question of where will kosi / big ben play when they're not rucking?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I bow to the weight of protests.

B.. Gram Wilkes Fisher
HB.. Clarke Stanley Dempster
C Milera Armitage Goddard
HF Sipposs Riewoldt Hayes
FF Milne Kosi Cripps
R McEvoy Dal Santo Steven
Int. Montagna Gilbert Jones Sub.. Ross/Markworth/Newnes

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If a dual all aust started on the pine and three first gamers got a gig I'd be surprised.....

Farren Ray at 26 and 150 games would be rightfully filthy if a couple of rookies overtook him....won't happen...

But the biggest let down as a player gets a starting 18 gig.....ahead of proven performers....

If schnieder is left out for cripps and milera waters will need to be sacked...

Can't leave out proven guns for unknown kids....they need to earn a spot....schnieder was playing good afl last season when milera was playing sanfl reserves

Peake would also be unlucky after a good 2012

And the impressive Ledger would be in front any of the first year players

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

and to reason.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If a dual all aust started on the pine and three first gamers got a gig I'd be surprised.....

Farren Ray at 26 and 150 games would be rightfully filthy if a couple of rookies overtook him....won't happen...

But the biggest let down as a player gets a starting 18 gig.....ahead of proven performers....

If schnieder is left out for cripps and milera waters will need to be sacked...

Can't leave out proven guns for unknown kids....they need to earn a spot....schnieder was playing good afl last season when milera was playing sanfl reserves

Peake would also be unlucky after a good 2012

And the impressive Ledger would be in front any of the first year players
Interesting coz the players that u named to me are major under achievers... Schnieder, Peake and Ray.

Peake's 2011 minus his finals was much better than his 2012

Schneider doesn't produce enough top 10 performances to justify his obvious talent

Farren Ray... has gone way backwards since 2009... reminds me of the players we had in the Watson era... did 3-4 good things a game and little else

Heaven help us if what they dished up last season is considered top line performances

Monty is easily a starting top 10 player however... I still found his last season to be way down but in fairness he was injured for much of it.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Statistically schnieder is one of the best small Fwds in the afl......his output over three years is 25% better than when he was at Sydney....and he consistently breaks games like Milne, but a little further up the ground....underrated defensively, check out his tackle count

Ray is versatile as he can be offensive or run with as he did in the 2010 GF he was best on ground vs Brisbane in 2011.....a very honest GOP....strong in the air....courageous and a team man

Peake will be a walk up....without a doubt

Montagna is a top 5 player.....and is easily A Grade

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think Schneider is very underated.

He does a lot of hard work that is not recognised.

Can he be better though? He has the talent to play more as a mid. However if you believe the "goss" it has been his lack of tank rather than ability that has prevented him playing that role more often.

I think that in recent seasons that both he and Milne have become better, more rounded players.

If he can gain more endurance this pre-season I would anticipate him rotating through the midfield more as he sets up play very well. This would also free up a spot for Saad to come in.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Statistically schnieder is one of the best small Fwds in the afl......his output over three years is 25% better than when he was at Sydney....and he consistently breaks games like Milne, but a little further up the ground....underrated defensively, check out his tackle count

Ray is versatile as he can be offensive or run with as he did in the 2010 GF he was best on ground vs Brisbane in 2011.....a very honest GOP....strong in the air....courageous and a team man

Peake will be a walk up....without a doubt

Montagna is a top 5 player.....and is easily A Grade
Although I agree with you Big Mart, I wonder if Collingwood supporters would have had Beams and Sidebottom ahead of Tarkin Lockyer and a couple of other proven senior players in 2010?

The run and spread to these guys coupled with recruitment of Ball & Jolly had a lot to do with them going from a top 4 to Premiership team.

We finished 7th last year and were not competitive at the business end.
The coach has recognised a couple of areas required to improve.
1/ Spread the load in the midfield, too much required of Joey, Lenny & Dal
2/ Options in attack.

To rectify these issues and ensure we dont slide something will have to change. Schneider & Milne are walk ups and leaving out joey does not warrant discussion, however Peake, Ray, Clarke, Gram & Jones whilst valuable have some deficiencies and could come under pressure from Cripps & Ledger.

I'm of the belief excluding injury or other unforseen circumstances Ledger is a lock and Cripps not far behind him. That means two senior players from last year will miss out.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
awesome_days
Club Player

Agree with Joffa Burns.

Everytime a player in their first 3 years replaces an established player on merit the team is improved.

Ross, Ledger, Cripps, Sipposs et al. coming into the team will see us improve. If our bottom six and top six improve this year we are back in the hunt. For me our top six (riewoldt, goddard, dal santo, hayes, montagna, fisher) were a fair way off as a whole last year, with only dal playing at or above expected output.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I believe joey is in our top 6 to 8 players and is a walk up start. But he aint fast . He's an awesome player but slow runner.
I have joey in our side -and hopefully we can add pace via a few of markworth cripps ledger milera and saad. They are all quick.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I believe joey is in our top 6 to 8 players and is a walk up start. But he aint fast . He's an awesome player but slow runner.
I have joey in our side -and hopefully we can add pace via a few of markworth cripps ledger milera and saad. They are all quick.
Are there 2 Joey's at our club?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Sheeze.. I thought this was a bit of fun, I did not realize sheep stations were involved!
Anyway, if we go into 2012 with much the same team, how are we improving?

shmic_s
Club Player

Well thought I'd have a go. (ducks for cover)

Blake(Gwilt) Simpkin Dempster
Fisher Gilbert Gram(Cripps)

McEvoy Goddard Hayes
Dal Santo Armitage Montagna

Siposs Riewoldt Schneider
Milne Wilkes Saad

INT Steven Ray Kosi
SUB Peake (Ledger)
EMG Polo Jones Stanley

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:Well thought I'd have a go. (ducks for cover)

Blake(Gwilt) Simpkin Dempster
Fisher Gilbert Gram(Cripps)

McEvoy Goddard Hayes
Dal Santo Armitage Montagna

Siposs Riewoldt Schneider
Milne Wilkes Saad

INT Steven Ray Kosi
SUB Peake (Ledger)
EMG Polo Jones Stanley
i like this team. it think it wont be far off the truth!

vacuous space
SS Life Member

B: Dempster - Simpkin/Wilkes - Clarke/Gwilt
HB: Fisher - Blake/Stanley - Gilbert
C: Goddard - Hayes - Gram
HF: Montagna - Riewoldt - Schneider
F: Cripps/Saad - Koschitzke - Milne
OB: McEvoy - Dal Santo - Steven

IC: Armitage - Jones - Peake - Ray

I don't see us making any massive changes. Watters is a defensive coach coming from a very solid defensive team. We're not about to adopt a crazy new game plan. The fate of St Kilda will still rest mostly in the hands of our top 6 players. Goddard and Reiwoldt rebounding from less than stellar season will be critical if we're to make top four and challenge in finals.

I'd say Dempster, Fisher, Gilbert and Gwilt are locks if available. Obviously Dawson has to be replaced down back. My guess is that Watters won't want Fisher and Gwilt playing on key targets full time. Stanley and Simpkin - or Ferguson, perhaps - could be our Brown and Reid. Blake and Wilkes are more experienced options. We could also go with Clarke or Geary if we use Fisher or Gwilt in key spots - or if Gwilt isn't ready to go.

I can't see us messing around much with the midfield group. Steven was a huge addition last year particularly at the clearances. If a kid like Ledger is going to come in, I think he's going to have to force somebody else out the way Steven did. The four guys I've named on the bench are probably the most vulnerable. Polo could easily be in there too.

Up front, we're probably looking at one spot being open for the likes of Cripps, Saad or even Siposs. There may be a spot on the bench as Schneider and possibly Milne will rotate through the middle. Collingwood did use a third tall rather extensively last year , so we could see Stanley or Wilkes forward at some point.

There should be a lot of intrigue throughout the NAB. Most new coaches make a few unexpected changes. There has certainly been a strong emphasis on developing youth since the coaching changes, so we'll see if many of the young players get a look in. There seems to be a lot of pessimism about where this team is going. Personally, I'd be stunned if we missed finals. I'd be expecting the players to push again for a top-4 spot, and I'll be disappointed if we don't get there.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i just dont see kosi as a perm fwd at all. he will be a ruckman off the bench with a very occassional stint fwd.

and i think wilkes will get first crack at ff and simpkin first crack at fb.

see how they go in first few rounds.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:i just dont see kosi as a perm fwd at all. he will be a ruckman off the bench with a very occassional stint fwd.

and i think wilkes will get first crack at ff and simpkin first crack at fb.

see how they go in first few rounds.
Reckon Wilkes will have to play FB or will not play. You cant have ruckmen on the bench these days as it means you can only rotate 2 mids at the most. Kosi has to play forward and occasionly in the ruck which means no real spot for Wilkes forward unless we want the slowest forward line the AFL.

loris
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I think Schneider is very underated.

He does a lot of hard work that is not recognised.

Can he be better though? He has the talent to play more as a mid. However if you believe the "goss" it has been his lack of tank rather than ability that has prevented him playing that role more often.

I think that in recent seasons that both he and Milne have become better, more rounded players.

If he can gain more endurance this pre-season I would anticipate him rotating through the midfield more as he sets up play very well. This would also free up a spot for Saad to come in.
Could it be as an asthmatic it hinders him in developing his endurance level to really spend too much of a game rotating through the midfield?
Possibly he will only remain, as does now, short stints through the midfield in certain games.

Have you ever heard Schneids speak, he wheezes and draws breath after each sentence he utters ........ and his sentences are not very long!!!??

SinCitySainter
Club Player

B. Blake Gilbert Dempster
HB Goddard Fisher Dal Santo
C Montagna Hayes Peake
HF Schnieder Riewoldt Ray
F Siposs Koschitzke Milne

R McEvoy Armitage Steven

Int Jones Stanley Cripps

Sub Saad

We need a fullback and I think Gilbert has the size and speed to be a really good player in that position.
We need the delivery of Goddard and Dal Santo coming off HB as that is where your attack starts if we are trying to play a quick transition game.
However, if we plan to play a slower more possession based game then they should probably move into the midfield with quicker Peake and Ray coming off half back.