St Kilda's best comebacks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Superboot
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:Hey Evertonfc talking of "comebacks" has ANYTHING come remotely close (for you and I that is) to Wembley May 21st 1966 with those Toffees coming back from 0-2 to win the FA cup 3-2? something wonderful happened at the MCG in September that year :wink: :lol: :lol: (with apologies to all you non-Evertonians!)
Nice one Dave!

One of the best comebacks ended in a loss.

11 August 2002 against Geelong at Docklands.

38 points down at 3/4 time. Kept them scoreless in the last but lost by a point. Daniel Wulf kicked 4 :D

mcadam05
Club Player

Superboot wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Hey Evertonfc talking of "comebacks" has ANYTHING come remotely close (for you and I that is) to Wembley May 21st 1966 with those Toffees coming back from 0-2 to win the FA cup 3-2? something wonderful happened at the MCG in September that year :wink: :lol: :lol: (with apologies to all you non-Evertonians!)
Nice one Dave!

38 points down at 3/4 time. Kept them scoreless in the last but lost by a point. Daniel Wulf kicked 4 :D
here it is the whole last 1/4

shame Wulf didn't kick one more goal 12wks before against the swans

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

98 v West Coast at Subi

No Burke, No Loewe, No Harvey, No Winmar

No worries.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, Harvs did play but he was the only one out of that group. Remember because he kicked an amazing goal after playing on in the last quarter I think.

Five goals down late in the last quarter with players going dwon with cramp everywhere. Gehrig playing for the Weagles.

Western Australian Gavin Mitchell kicked the winner for us from a free kick awarded for a holding the ball indiscretion.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hey Superboot! Too right! (the game V geelong 2002) I was still a moorabbin winger in those days, up on level three. We had a whole ruck of obnoxious Geelong fans around us who were giving us plenty for 3 quarters, how QUIET they became during the final stanza!!! That drop kick Everitt gave away a free kick in thecats defensive 50 with a pumpteenth remaining on the clock and those anal orifices got out of jail :twisted: I was so proud of the Saints that day (well for the last quarter anyway!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:
Beno88 wrote:Anyone remember the 1995 Ansett Cup game vs Carlton? I think it was a Monday night at Waverley and we were blooding the likes of Jones, Smith, Sziller, Brown, Wakelin, etc. We were around eight goals down in the third quarter and then the young fellas went nuts and pinched a one point win.
lol another video i would love :D

Nice little dig by Maher at St kilda at the end of the story
Ive got yhe last quarter on tape :-)

Joel Smith kicked the sealer, prompting a classic from Dennis Cometti "not the first time a No 4 has won a game for the Saints"

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

Joel Smith kicked the sealer, prompting a classic from Dennis Cometti "not the first time a No 4 has won a game for the Saints"
Tape?? what is tape?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
saint66au wrote:

Tape?? what is tape?
At least it's not on Super 8 :P

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
saint66au wrote:

Tape?? what is tape?
At least it's not on Super 8 :P
ouch :wink:

Superboot
SS Life Member

mcadam05 wrote:
Superboot wrote:
Nice one Dave!

here it is the whole last 1/4

shame Wulf didn't kick one more goal 12wks before against the swans
Thanks for the video. Mixed feelings watching it though.

Wulf was terrific that night. And, yes, we should have beaten the Swans by 5 points!!

Superboot
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:Hey Superboot! Too right! (the game V geelong 2002) I was still a moorabbin winger in those days, up on level three. We had a whole ruck of obnoxious Geelong fans around us who were giving us plenty for 3 quarters, how QUIET they became during the final stanza!!! That drop kick Everitt gave away a free kick in thecats defensive 50 with a pumpteenth remaining on the clock and those anal orifices got out of jail :twisted: I was so proud of the Saints that day (well for the last quarter anyway!)
Hi Jiggster

Yep, just watched it again. Stupid nudge in the back; ruck contest inside 50 with 58 seconds to go. Took the pressure off Geelong and that was it!!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

What a useless player he was (especially at that stage of his career) for us! total waste of talent.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:What a useless player he was (especially at that stage of his career) for us! total waste of talent.
I must have watched a different Peter Everitt play for us. Very good player and probably one of our best ever ruckman. Certainly the best in the last 30 years even though he doesnt have a huge field to beat.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Maybe one of our best ever ruckman in terms of raw talent Plugger, but one of the rare instances in my footy going career that I ever saw a St Kilda player who in my opinion didn't try.
In this much discussed particular game against Geelong, there was one clear passage of play when the ball came in to our forward line and Everitt didn't even try to grab the ball which was coming straight toward him instead he sort of tapped the ball away from himself to nobody's advantage except Geelong's who just scooped the ball straight up and cleared it.
Watch him in Stewie Loewe's last game against Melbourne too. He was clearly just over playing for us and boy, did it ever show.
The only other instance I can remember of a St Kilda player not trying was Tony Francis in a game at Waverley against Collingwood and I don't think he ever played for us again after that.

mcadam05
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Watch him in Stewie Loewe's last game against Melbourne too. He was clearly just over playing for us and boy, did it ever show.
thats the game that turned me off Everitt forever even too the point at the AGM i voted against him getting his life membership and i wasn't the only one who did that, a count of hands that night would of been very interesting

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:What a useless player he was (especially at that stage of his career) for us! total waste of talent.
I must have watched a different Peter Everitt play for us. Very good player and probably one of our best ever ruckman. Certainly the best in the last 30 years even though he doesnt have a huge field to beat.
RIX ROX RUX

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

:D

Sadly not mate...and by the way things are going, that doesn't look like changing anytime soon.

:cry:

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I was at Stewie Loewe's final game too and Everitt's "effort" :roll: disgusted me. Plugger I don't give a Blight's toss bag about his talent his ATTITUDE stank!

happy feet
Club Player

Fitrzoy

I remember a game vs.Fitzroy at Moorabbin in the 70's - Gary Sidebottom had a blinder and got us back into the game which we won.

saint64
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:Sorry, Harvs did play but he was the only one out of that group. Remember because he kicked an amazing goal after playing on in the last quarter I think.

Five goals down late in the last quarter with players going dwon with cramp everywhere. Gehrig playing for the Weagles.

Western Australian Gavin Mitchell kicked the winner for us from a free kick awarded for a holding the ball indiscretion.
I was there for that one with an Eagles supporting mate. From memory we were 29 points down with 10 minutes to go. I think Everitt kicked a spinning/weaving classic from the middle as well. Sweet.

Superboot
SS Life Member

Re Spider, it's not often you have the opportunity to get angry with a St Kilda player who clearly isn't putting in. Towards the end of his time with us, Spider gave us the opportunity.

Great player in his day, but ended up as a very bad influence, and had to go.