Pavement - St.Kilda 2010 membership scarf sighting

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Pavement - St.Kilda 2010 membership scarf sighting

Well, well, in 2010 the boys of the great LA based indie-rock band Pavement toured our shores. They were here when we made the pre-season GF and (unfortunately) lost to the Bulldogs.

Years before, I heard rumours Pavement's vocalist, Stephen Malkmus, became a Saints fan when they first toured in the 90's. Looks as though at least one other member joined Malkmus on the St.Kilda band wagon - guitarist Scott "Spiral Stairs" Kannberg.

This footage was shot around the time of GF1 @ The Hollywood Bowl and Spiral Stairs can be seen wearing our membership scarf at around 2:30

Enjoy this awesome song "summer babe" on a warm summer's night 8-)

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Neat pick up Sainternist

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

That's my scarf!!

I was at the drawn GF and then had the dawning horror that I wasn't going to be in Melbourne for the replay because I was going over to the States to watch Pavement's last ever American shows (plus the Matador Records festival and Guided By Voices reunion). Tough decision (have hardly missed a Saints final in 20 years even though I live in Brisbane) but in hindsight I made the right call to go...

Spiral is indeed a Saints fan (he lives in Oz now) and the Hollywood Bowl show was the night before the second GF, so he asked me to bring my scarf and he wore it all night in front of 15,000 people even though it was stinking hot in LA and it was getting in his way playing guitar. Awesome display of Solidarity - I was in the front row of Hollywood Bowl watching my fave ever band and one of them was wearing my Saints scarf, talk about surreal...

Of course the dream was shattered the next night while we were in Las Vegas, but let us not relive that particular horror...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Don't know if Malkmus is a Saints fan, although I remember seeing him play solo at the Corner in Melbourne on his first post-Pavement tour and he mentioned something about the Saints (which made me comically happy). I was at the races with him and Bob and some of their crew on the day of the pre-season loss to the Dogs in 2010 and they dropped me off at Etihad afterwards before the game and he didn't seem aware of it, so possibly not...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'm so glad i no longer have to queue up for a hat a and scarf...didn't like the scarf and i thought the hat was too white...much prefer the black cap i bought at the open training day pre Christmas.....

Something i won't miss at all....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:That's my scarf!!

I was at the drawn GF and then had the dawning horror that I wasn't going to be in Melbourne for the replay because I was going over to the States to watch Pavement's last ever American shows (plus the Matador Records festival and Guided By Voices reunion). Tough decision (have hardly missed a Saints final in 20 years even though I live in Brisbane) but in hindsight I made the right call to go...

Spiral is indeed a Saints fan (he lives in Oz now) and the Hollywood Bowl show was the night before the second GF, so he asked me to bring my scarf and he wore it all night in front of 15,000 people even though it was stinking hot in LA and it was getting in his way playing guitar. Awesome display of Solidarity - I was in the front row of Hollywood Bowl watching my fave ever band and one of them was wearing my Saints scarf, talk about surreal...

Of course the dream was shattered the next night while we were in Las Vegas, but let us not relive that particular horror...
Great story about Spiral and that being your scarf he wore that night. It would be great to run into him and fanboy him at a Saints match some day. I remember hearing about them going to the races. I hear Bob loves the nags.

When Malkmus and the Jicks toured was that after the '09 GF loss? I missed that tour, but remember it being around then. I wonder where the rumour started about him being a Saints fan? It once stated on Wikipedia that he was a fan. Perhaps it was confused with Spiral.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Good story!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)