Best 22 for Rd 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Sounds impressive. Does he often chat to you? Thats the coach not your alter ego.

Just asked you a simple question. Im amazed you know all that from watching training. I dont go anymore bit it seems people pick up a lot more than previously from going to training. I must start going again.

Alright Dad. How do you know Ledger is the coaches love child and how do you know Cripps in burning it up on the track? And how do you know Ross is a chance for round one and could be a future leader. Actually how do you know all the things you wrote? Because it has been passed off as fact I thought it may be interesting to know how you know. The reason I ask is if you were told this in confidence Im surprised you would print it. Unless of course the person who told you said to write it for all to see on here.

Again to gutless to have a go at me directly. Couldnt do it in the other thread and didnt do it in this one. By the way no pretending on my behalf. Happy to tell you I have done heaps for our club. You may have as well. I wont judge you like you judge me. Really is pathetic.
plugger66; quit with the bitching and insignificant questions that are best suited to a personal message. Your questions only benefit you and others with a similar tabloid mentality and if you are into gossip and 'who knows who' is important to you, then you need to spend more time on Hollywood forums. Please can you PM posters if you are asking personal questions. Some people might want to respond to you in public but what do you expect when you are soliciting the attacks against you by being such a smartarse.

Either entertain us with your witty one liners or give us info that we might find interesting about the Saints team or the club. Who gives a toss if he knows someone who works at the club, or knows a player or is best mates with the coach..joffaburns is providing content to ss which is thoughtful, insightful, well presented and easily understood and is footy related. The other thing plugger66, is that this forum would die very quickly if everyone behaved like you - because basically it's very boring!!!

Good call, goes for all infighting. After the thread gets highjacked no one wants to go back to them.

Saints94
SS Life Member

dcstkfc wrote:
Saints94 wrote:FB: S.Gilbert B.Wilkes J.Gram

CHB: J.Blake S.Fisher B.Goddard

C: L.Montagna L.Hayes J.Steven

CHF: A.Saad N.Riewoldt A.Siposs

FF: S.Milne J.Koschitzke A.Scheider

FOLL: B.McEvoy N.Dal Santo D.Armitage

INT: T.Ledger S.Dempster J.Cripps SUB: R.Stanley

EMG: S.Ross C.Jones F.Ray
Interesting choice of sub. I'd prefer a midfielder
Just thought with his speed and athleticism he would be a more upside pick as a sub.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:The other thing plugger66, is that this forum would die very quickly if everyone behaved like you - because basically it's very boring!!!
Touche.

Anyway, he's never behaved like this when the rest of us call him a liar...must be an early New Years resolution!?! :D

To the top
SS Life Member

Gilbert xxxxxxx Stanley
Clarke Fisher Gwilt
Ledger Hayes DalSanto
xxxxxx Goddard Cripps
Siposs Riewoldt Steven
McEvoy xxxxxxx Montagna
Gram Koschitzke Armitage Ray

The problem we have had, and which is now being acknowledged, is that our defence has carried us - and we need more scoring potency - including because of offensive pressure which certain players do not apply - and more mid-field guts, pace and precision.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Gilbert xxxxxxx Stanley
Clarke Fisher Gwilt
Ledger Hayes DalSanto
xxxxxx Goddard Cripps
Siposs Riewoldt Steven
McEvoy xxxxxxx Montagna

The problem we have had, and which is now being acknowledged, is that our defence has carried us - and we need more scoring potency - including because of offensive pressure which certain players do not apply - and more mid-field guts, pace and precision.
Herald sun has Schneider as one of our elite players, you can't find room for him in 22?Reckon truth is about halfway, just sneaks into best 10 in my opinion.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
Clarke Fisher Gwilt
Ledger Hayes DalSanto
xxxxxx Goddard Cripps
Siposs Riewoldt Steven
McEvoy xxxxxxx Montagna

Herald sun has Schneider as one of our elite players, you can't find room for him in 22?Reckon truth is about halfway, just sneaks into best 10 in my opinion.
The guy cant find room for Milne. I reckon that sums up his footy knowledge. He did think Cahill was a star though.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:
Clarke Fisher Gwilt
Ledger Hayes DalSanto
xxxxxx Goddard Cripps
Siposs Riewoldt Steven
McEvoy xxxxxxx Montagna

The guy cant find room for Milne. I reckon that sums up his footy knowledge. He did think Cahill was a star though.
Frustrates me when people show absolute imbecilic football knowledge. Cant fit Milne or Schneider in the 22. Does he want us to struggle even more.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
To the top
SS Life Member

Get used to it.

Schnieder and Milne are not up to the current game.

They have no defensive aspects to their games, can not rotate in the mid-field because of a lack of endurance and skill (despite them saying that at 29 and 32 they are going to morph into mids in 2012 - we have heard that before I seem to recall but what has the outcome been!), lack pace and rely on experience and manouvering of the body against (principally inexperienced) defenders to jag an occasional goal.

And we have 2 of them!

We can not afford 1 in 2012.

When you read about defending higher up the ground, and not relying on defending in your defensive zone Schnieder and Milne do not fit the bill because, as we see match after match, other sides run the ball unimpeded from our high attacking positions (including because Milne gives away 50 holding the balls per season, matching his goal tally and with numerous of those resulting in easy, team lifting, run in goals at the other end) using a wave of unchecked players to by-pass our mids and put extreme pressure on our defenders who have saved the side far, far too often without all ground support.

Why do you think we have recruited who we have recruited for 2012?

Watch this space, hero worshippers!

And Schnieder in the top 10?

Spare me!

These 2 are the reason we are going backwards - and we are going backwards because we can not score.

2 goals a game does not win you a game of footy.

Milne 2, Schnieder 1 = 3, and we need 15 to win a game of footy consistently.

So where does that put the pressure?

Change is needed - not a continuing reliance on 2 "small forwards" who principally only do enough on the scoreboard against weak opposition.

Like 5 against Richmond and 8 against Adelaide - so then you can go 4 games without featuring on the score board.

Statistics, statistics and damn lies!

Gullible people seduced by useless statistics.

The ONLY statistic which matters is the team winning.

To win you have to score - and we do not when it is required against competition leaders despite the presence of the legendary Milne and his side kick, Schnieder.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

I don't consider Jason Gram a part of the best 22 anymore

I think Gram, Ray, Polo, Clarke etc

will be the O'bree, Lockyear, Medhurst and Frasers of 2012

Collingwoods recent success can be partly attributed to removal of players who are unwilling or unable to continually improve

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

TTP, how has defending deeper... Ie more away from our Forwardline been an advantage to the Milne/Schneider setup?

Or am I reading/interpreting that all wrong.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

clarky449 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:
Clarke Fisher Gwilt
Ledger Hayes DalSanto
xxxxxx Goddard Cripps
Siposs Riewoldt Steven
McEvoy xxxxxxx Montagna

Frustrates me when people show absolute imbecilic football knowledge. Cant fit Milne or Schneider in the 22. Does he want us to struggle even more.
So because his opinion differs from yours, he's an imbecile. :shock:
Maybe he has Milne, Schneider, Jones, Dempster and Peake on an expanded interchange bench..........I have these 4 in mine

Where's your contribution of a possible line-up of 25-30 ?
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Fri 23 Dec 2011 11:26am, edited 2 times in total.

Stand your ground :shock:
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i have NFI about our best 22 right now. lots of unknowns in our squad.
really exciting though.
i do have one comment. people shoud keep it in their pants re wilkes.

he is a massive unknown. yet most people have him waltzing into a kpp in our 18.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:i have NFI about our best 22 right now. lots of unknowns in our squad.
really exciting though.
i do have one comment. people shoud keep it in their pants re wilkes.

he is a massive unknown. yet most people have him waltzing into a kpp in our 18.
Don't think it's a case of people taking things out of their pants. Well not for most anyway.

I think it's more that people perceive a lack of KPPs at the club and that Wilkes represents the only "ready to go" option we've picked up in the off season.

He's 25 years of age and has already played at AFL level for the Eagles. And although he was only playing WAFL when we picked him up, he was playing it well. 

If Walsh had stayed most people would probably have had him in their side. And although he only had two years of VFL behind him, I don't think those people would have been accused of "flopping it out'.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Get used to it.

They have no defensive aspects to their games, can not rotate in the mid-field because of a lack of endurance and skill (despite them saying that at 29 and 32 they are going to morph into mids in 2012 - we have heard that before I seem to recall but what has the outcome been!), lack pace and rely on experience and manouvering of the body against (principally inexperienced) defenders to jag an occasional goal.

And we have 2 of them!

When you read about defending higher up the ground, and not relying on defending in your defensive zone Schnieder and Milne do not fit the bill because, as we see match after match, other sides run the ball unimpeded from our high attacking positions (including because Milne gives away 50 holding the balls per season, matching his goal tally and with numerous of those resulting in easy, team lifting, run in goals at the other end) using a wave of unchecked players to by-pass our mids and put extreme pressure on our defenders who have saved the side far, far too often without all ground support.

Spare me!

These 2 are the reason we are going backwards - and we are going backwards because we can not score.

Change is needed - not a continuing reliance on 2 "small forwards" who principally only do enough on the scoreboard against weak opposition.

Like 5 against Richmond and 8 against Adelaide - so then you can go 4 games without featuring on the score board.

To win you have to score - and we do not when it is required against competition leaders despite the presence of the legendary Milne and his side kick, Schnieder.
I will just about guarantee Milne will play all the year baring injury. Schneider probably will as well. You did write a lot though. Just doesnt mean much. You could do the same with Rooy, 2 goals a game and bugger all tackles and even if we had Browny at his best, 2 a games and not many tackles. That adds up to 4, apparently you need 15 so they would be no good in our side either. Yes there is more to footy than stats. Eyes I find the most important and then knowledge of the game. I will let others be the judge on whether they think both Milne and Schneider arent in our best side next year.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:Get used to it.

And we have 2 of them!

Spare me!

Stop bringing up the GF of 2009 as your only match to judge the performances of those two.

Schnieder is a gun with super footskills and Milne is a prototype pocket player.

Milne has won and will continue to keep winning us games when our smalls are quiet as he has an understated ability to almost play a tall full-forward when say Roo or Kosi are having quiet evenings on the scoreboard.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Schneider has been overrated on this forum for a very long time

doesn't play better than ok most of the time and certainly IMO doesn't fulfill his potential

saintDal
Club Player

In the final against Geelong where Lings goal wasn't allowed Milne played in the midfield for a lot of the first quarter and did a pretty good job. I thought he was our best player up until that point.

paddy
Club Player

I was watching our r11/12 (???) game against geelong (a bit tragic, i know) but it was interesting to see how much of an asset kosi was as the second tall option up forward.

As much as Roo didn't get much of the ball, or score that well this year, he still served as a magnet for opposition defenders leaving Kosi to, generally, a 1 on 1 marking contest.

This is something that will need to be exploited in the 2012 season, seeing as though the long kick into the forward line, seems to be the most effective way to get around the press.

Perhaps this will mean that Wilkes will rotate into the forward line too while kosi is playing backup ruck?

either way, I am personally very pumped for the 2012 season, especially in seeing some of the youth taking the next step.

To the top
SS Life Member

2009 Grand Final to judge these 2?

At least you concede.

But my point is that Milne and/or Schnieder are missing in 65% of our matches and, of more concern, particularly against clubs in contention for the finals.

How many times do we kick less than 10 goals a game and why?

Especially as we have 2 such "super stars" on our full forward line as Schnieder and Milne.

This is where we have to improve both defensively and offensively and with a better range of options to stretch opposition defences.

Two 175cm players playing as they do do not cut it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:2009 Grand Final to judge these 2?

At least you concede.

But my point is that Milne and/or Schnieder are missing in 65% of our matches and, of more concern, particularly against clubs in contention for the finals.

Especially as we have 2 such "super stars" on our full forward line as Schnieder and Milne.

This is where we have to improve both defensively and offensively and with a better range of options to stretch opposition defences.

So is it better to have a 197cm player who hardly touches it or an Aaron Siposs who will probably struggle due to age and inexperience. Anyone the argument is a waste of time because everyone involved with the club will know both players are certain to play and so they should as one, Milne is clearly in our best ten and has been for about 8 years and the other is clearly in our best 15 and has been for all his time at our club. By the way Rioli goes missing for about the same time as Milne in games. I suppose you wouldnt play him either. Matter of fact most small forwards go missing in games, we are just lucky Milne goes missing for less time than most others.

And didnt Geelong play both Varcoe and Stokes in the latest GF. I think both of them are small forwards and neither is as good as Milne and at bet level with Schneider.

SMS
Club Player

Simpkin Gilbert Ledger
Clarke Fisher Gwilt
Milera Hayes DalSanto
Schnieder Riewoldt Steven
Milne Koschitzke Siposs

McEvoy Goddard, Montagna

Gram Armitage Ray Cripps

This is the team I want to see!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:FB: Dempster Simpkin Jones

HB: Fisher Kosi Gilbert

C: Montagna Goddard Ray

HF: Schneider Riewoldt Sipposs

F: Milne Stanley Cripps

R: McEvoy Dal Santo Steven

Int: Armitage Blake Peake

Sub: Any first or second year player that impresses in the NAB or Gram
I reclon Lenny still goes alright.
Agree Plugger, was of the impression Lenny would not be available Rd 1, but yes will be able to push one of the starting 18 to the bench.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
To the top wrote:2009 Grand Final to judge these 2?

At least you concede.

So is it better to have a 197cm player who hardly touches it or an Aaron Siposs who will probably struggle due to age and inexperience. Anyone the argument is a waste of time because everyone involved with the club will know both players are certain to play and so they should as one, Milne is clearly in our best ten and has been for about 8 years and the other is clearly in our best 15 and has been for all his time at our club. By the way Rioli goes missing for about the same time as Milne in games. I suppose you wouldnt play him either. Matter of fact most small forwards go missing in games, we are just lucky Milne goes missing for less time than most others.

And didnt Geelong play both Varcoe and Stokes in the latest GF. I think both of them are small forwards and neither is as good as Milne and at bet level with Schneider.
It is the nature of the beast. Both players being pocket/flankers makes it difficult to always be in the play. If they were constantly involved that would make them midfielders and I somehow think both are suited forward of centre for differing reasons.

awesome_days
Club Player

Rd 1 Team:

B: Schneider Blake Dempster
HB: Goddard Fisher Gilbert
C: Montagna Armitage Ray
HF: Siposs Riewoldt Cripps
F: Milne Kosi Wilkes
Int: Jones Polo Clarke Gram

Inj: Hayes Gwilt

Ins/Outs by Rd 22 representing improvements (i.e. incoming player is playing at a higher output than the out player) in order of most to least likely.

Hayes/Jones
Gwilt/Clarke
Stanley/Wilkes
Ross/Gram
Simpkin/Blake

Then you have the group of youngsters who have to keep improving to hold their place, for Rd 1 these may be interchangable with a few of the above named and the remainder of the list.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

awesome_days wrote:Rd 1 Team:

B: Schneider Blake Dempster
HB: Goddard Fisher Gilbert
C: Montagna Armitage Ray
HF: Siposs Riewoldt Cripps
F: Milne Kosi Wilkes
Int: Jones Polo Clarke Gram

Inj: Hayes Gwilt

Ins/Outs by Rd 22 representing improvements (i.e. incoming player is playing at a higher output than the out player) in order of most to least likely.

Hayes/Jones
Gwilt/Clarke
Stanley/Wilkes
Ross/Gram
Simpkin/Blake

Then you have the group of youngsters who have to keep improving to hold their place, for Rd 1 these may be interchangable with a few of the above named and the remainder of the list.
Hayes is ready to go round one baring a different injury.