When did you start following the Saints and why

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Nothing new here. It was in my blood. 3rd Gen.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

My dad indoctrinated me from a young age. First thing I saw coming into Optus Oval for my first game in 1996 was Nicky Winmar being put into an ambulance for a broken leg.

My dad barracked for St Kilda because the elderly woman who lived above him when he was a kid was a Saints fan and she got him into it.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Indoctrinated by parents. My dad came over from England and played hockey for St. Kilda- football team seemed a natural choice. Was taken to the Junction Oval in my early days as no doubt it was cheaper than paying for a baby sitter. My first memories however was when I was 8- first ever game at Moorabbin against the filth in 1965. Still remember the marching band, all the hoopla and the great win by the Saints. We still have a super6 film of the team running out, the highlites and of course the marching band!! Also I went to Cheltenham East Primary and in the early days it had a real St.Kilda connection. The Doc always came to the school fete and I reckon half the players used to live in or near Farm Rd. I still remember clearly going to my mates place and doing everything I could to impress Yabbie Jeans and the Doc with kick to kick on the road!! Straight outside their houses. If all that wasn't enough to make me a lifelong Sainter the icing on the cake was on my 10th birthday going to Moorabbin to watch the Sainters and un beknown to me my dad had organised for my birthday present to go down into the rooms and for the Doc to present me with the match ball after the game. Lucky enough to go to the 66 grand final. Everyone in the family and extended family are Sainters. I just love them.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
gringo wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
gringo wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Image
Holy moly Spaceman, what was that car? I liked my Valiants when I first got my license and thought they were old school. That looks like it came out of Lenningrad, that's a pretty different unit.
It's a Standard Vanguard gringo.

My old man got his for a few hundred dollars not long after I got my license, mainly so I wouldn't keep pinching his EJ Station Wagon (which itself was about 15 years old). For a couple of years there I drove it to Uni and to the footy.

On one occasion at a Waverley game I parked it just off Wellington Road and returned to find a card had been left under the wiper blade. It was from someone from the Vanguard Car Club enquiring about this "interesting vehicle".

Was a lot of fun for a while there though you eventually get over average performance, handling and brakes :)
Were they English? It's kind of cool in a toaster on wheels kind of way. A bit like ironic bow ties.
Yep they were English.

Heres a wiki link :)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Vanguard
Hey it was influenced by a commie car! I must know more about cars than I thought. The Russians would have been producing them still in the late 80s though.

Sainter_Boy
Club Player

i was 3 months when i first started to barrack for the mighty saints when me dad took me to the family day and my first match was 2005 prelim vs sydney where bazza punched goose

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Boy wrote:i was 3 months when i first started to barrack for the mighty saints when me dad took me to the family day and my first match was 2005 prelim vs sydney where bazza punched goose
Are you 6?

SuperSaint66
Club Player

My first post, tho' a long time browser.

Grew up in Bendigo & thought St Kilda suburb was the ultimate place to visit in Melbourne so chose Saints for my team as a youngster. Parents were Footscray and South Melbourne.

Always listened to radio broadcasts, but never attended a game at Moorabbin, nor many at Waverley even after moving to Melbourne. No one to go with!

Became a Social Club member when St Kilda moved to Docklands, and have missed very few games since.

Never a dull moment barracking for St Kilda. LOVE THE SAINTS!

St.Roly
Club Player

Haven't logged on for a week or so, so this is a bit stale but I nevertheless somehow feel it necessary to briefly record my piece of history for anyone who might read it.

My late grandfather gave me the gift/curse of loving the StKFC. He happened across the Sainters at Junction Oval when he moved down from Sydney in the '50s.

I can't remember my first game - was too young. It would have been early-mid '70s. I have one early vivid memory of the team running out at Linton St and doing some shadow boxing as they ran their warm up lap. The crowd went nuts.

Started going by myself in the early-mid 80s and have rarely missed a game played in Victoria since.

Am proud to say that I have manged to convert my wife from being a childhood Hawks supporter and I now have 2 young sainters of my own to indoctrinate. They will not be able to remember the first games they attended as my boy was 7 days old and my girl was 5 days old.

Go Saints.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Old man, no choice, etc.

His old man gave him no choice, either.
dcstkfc wrote:My dad indoctrinated me from a young age. First thing I saw coming into Optus Oval for my first game in 1996 was Nicky Winmar being put into an ambulance for a broken leg.
Bloody horrible day - lost to Melbourne when we should have won.

Sat in the Ald Gardiner Stand and we were a chance in the 2nd and 3rd terms but they kicked away. Todd Viney running into an open goal with his hands in the air still annoys me.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Sainter_Boy
Club Player

dragit wrote:
Sainter_Boy wrote:i was 3 months when i first started to barrack for the mighty saints when me dad took me to the family day and my first match was 2005 prelim vs sydney where bazza punched goose
Are you 6?
no mate i am 12

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

My old man emigrated from Greece when he was 3 years old. My grandparents ran a milk bar in East St Kilda, which is also where Dad attended most of his primary schooling. Naturally enough, when he started taking an interest in sports, he began to follow the fortunes of the Saints. He still tells the story of when he was listening to the '66 GF on the radio, and he was stressing out with my uncle, when my grandmother gave them some religious icons, told them to say their prayers and kiss it, and let God take care of the rest.

I apparently went to my first game at Moorabin when i was 3-4 (in the 1991 season), but I barely remember it. Just vaguely recall the walk over from where we parked and also the stench of the place! Slowly but surely, I've well eclipsed my father's passion for the Saints, and you'll find me there most games we play in Melbourne.

The Saints are coming!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Lived in a Collingwood recruiting zone mid-1970's, all my mates had a cousin/brother/dad who played for the Pies, so anyone else but...Saints had some hard units, some guys with silly names, cool jumper, and Trevor Barker, so decision made.

Dad barracked for North (later Weagles...after North, highest Sandgroper representation), so there was no family legacy. I don't think I've ever met another Sainter other than Hardsaint, besides at games!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:It's a Standard Vanguard gringo.

My old man got his for a few hundred dollars not long after I got my license, mainly so I wouldn't keep pinching his EJ Station Wagon (which itself was about 15 years old). For a couple of years there I drove it to Uni and to the footy.
Should have ditched the EJ wagon for a Vanguard Spacemaster!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:It's a Standard Vanguard gringo.

Should have ditched the EJ wagon for a Vanguard Spacemaster!
:lol: