Centrebet starting to get us some negative media coverage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I really couldnt care who sponsors us as long as it is legal for them to sponsor us. Its about time parents parented instead of looking for excuses all the time. I bet quite a bit and there was no advertising back when I was young. My Daughter couldnt give a stuff about betting and there is plenty of advertising now. Cant claim my parenting for it all but if she showed any interest in gambling I would explain the pros and cons. Pity I havent been able to do that with drinking. I blame the advertising for that.
Spot on Plugger

Stop making excuses people...
absolute rubbish
gambling has been great for cricket/NRL hasnt it?
if you cant see whats coming then you probably are one of those problem gamblers we keep hearing about
the step in the AFL gambling push will be who scores the next goal, players will spend most of their time staring up at the scoreboard, with their mate on the boundary watching for the secret signal.
Last edited by plugger66 on Sat 10 Dec 2011 7:04am, edited 2 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I really couldnt care who sponsors us as long as it is legal for them to sponsor us. Its about time parents parented instead of looking for excuses all the time. I bet quite a bit and there was no advertising back when I was young. My Daughter couldnt give a stuff about betting and there is plenty of advertising now. Cant claim my parenting for it all but if she showed any interest in gambling I would explain the pros and cons. Pity I havent been able to do that with drinking. I blame the advertising for that.
Spot on Plugger

Stop making excuses people...
absolute rubbish
gambling has been great for cricket/NRL hasnt it?
if you cant see whats coming then you probably are one of those problem gamblers we keep hearing about
the step in the AFL gambling push will be who scores the next goal, players will spend most of their time staring up at the scoreboard, with their mate on the boundary watching for the secret signal.
Sorry but you may be the one talking rubbish. Firstly we are talking about the look of centrebet and how it influences kids not about the betting in general. Secondly what you say is also rubbish. The problem with cricket is that it is illegal to bet in India so it all goes underground. If that had of been the case in Australia they wouldnt have got Tandy or Shaw. Better to control the betting otherwise we would have no idea what is going on. And those exotic types of bets are so small in AFL that they arent going to change the way the game is played. Very emotive but just doesnt and will not happen.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

churches have banned betting for literally centuries (that's why chess is the oldest surviving game in the world) so none of this is new other than the ramming down your throat factor - think they would be right to pull back the reins on the broadcast/experience but nothing wrong with our sponsors imo. (makes me feel centered)

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Bardon Saint
Club Player

I grew up watching Philip Morris on our guernsey in the early 90s in the winter, Marlboro for the F1 GPs and B&H for the cricket in the summer. I'm not a smoker and never have been.

I do not intend to start gambling either despite all the recent advertising.

Obviously advertising works though or they wouldn't do it. In what capacity it works is up for debate.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Sad fact is the companies who have the $$ to pay for their logo on jumpers are often not going to be the "role model " companies that will keep people happy

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
loris
Saintsational Legend

snowdelisaint wrote:I have not bought any merchandise since that company appeared.
snowdelisaint............................ Wow just watched the non p/c video clip of Lily of Laguna in your sig: :shock: :shock: :shock:

"Coon"
"Black sheep"
Nuggeted face of white man
Smoking in theatre

Things sure were different in 1934 :shock: :wink: :shock: :wink:

Guess it shows how societies attitudes change....... all for the better IMHO............. same is evolving about gambling advertisting IMHO :wink:

avid
Club Player

Agree with you Loris, on all the points you've made.

For me it's not completely morally repugnant, or absolutely unacceptable. But I do find it pretty distateful, and disappointing, each time I see it.
I think it's a regrettable decision to have it on our jumper. There's probably quite a few other ethically compromised products whose logos you wouldn't really want on our jumper either.

(The green Mortgage House one, which I didn't much like, was probably aesthetically compromised.)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

My take on being sponsored by a betting agency.

1) We need the money.

2) Betting is legal and regulated.

3) Yes some people have a problem with it and get themselves in trouble, but that's not our fault. People gotta take responsibility for their own actions ... get some help, go to rehab, whatever.

Conclusion: Long may the sponsorship continue. We should take the money and whack it on the fifth at Sandown.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The club needs the money and if Holden, with their beautifully matched corporate colours, came on board all this controversy would go away.

Of course until someone starts pointing out their their petrol guzzling vehicles are polluting the earth and leading to climate change that will result in the end of the planet :roll:

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

So who's fair dinkum about this gambling issue?

And who's a hypocrite?

If you're fair dinkum, there's no way you'd support the club if they publicly advertise and promote gambling.

If you're not fair dinkum, you'd carry on and merely lament about it on a website.

Bunch of mob wives.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Believe we should have integrity in our sponsors but we're hardly Saints* in this department, are we?

Phillip Morris?

Tooheys?

I mean, really. Centrebet is fine with me.

I neither smoke, drink nor gamble excessively. Well, I do drink more than my share, but I doubt that relates to having a 8cm by 3cm patch on the chest of my favourite AFL team.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

plugger66 wrote: Sorry but you may be the one talking rubbish. Firstly we are talking about the look of centrebet and how it influences kids not about the betting in general. Secondly what you say is also rubbish. The problem with cricket is that it is illegal to bet in India so it all goes underground. If that had of been the case in Australia they wouldnt have got Tandy or Shaw. Better to control the betting otherwise we would have no idea what is going on. And those exotic types of bets are so small in AFL that they arent going to change the way the game is played. Very emotive but just doesnt and will not happen.
Im not going to get into your semantic word games, but betting in cricket has turned the game into a joke.
I havent even broached the the problem with gambling corruption in soccer.
goal score betting has already happened, (so it does happen) in australia which is why I pointed out the NRL, with suspension of player nad charges laid against his accomplises
AFL players fined, AFL officials banned
If adults can't control themseleves, heaven help the kids
If you think all is rosey, you are clearly the one talking rubbish.

Seeya
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Sorry but you may be the one talking rubbish. Firstly we are talking about the look of centrebet and how it influences kids not about the betting in general. Secondly what you say is also rubbish. The problem with cricket is that it is illegal to bet in India so it all goes underground. If that had of been the case in Australia they wouldnt have got Tandy or Shaw. Better to control the betting otherwise we would have no idea what is going on. And those exotic types of bets are so small in AFL that they arent going to change the way the game is played. Very emotive but just doesnt and will not happen.
Im not going to get into your semantic word games, but betting in cricket has turned the game into a joke.
goal score betting has already happened, (so it does happen) in australia which is why I pointed out the NRL, with suspension of player nad charges laid against his accomplises
Sorry but never said things were Rosy but it isnt the end of the world either. My point is we blame everything on others. Do some parenting and teach kids the good and bad of things and dont blame advertising on kids betting. The funny thing is being involved in a local footy club I think betting is hardly a problem at all. I have been involved there for 30 years and havent seen any great increase in gambling at the club

bozza1980
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:Im not going to get into your semantic word games, but betting in cricket has turned the game into a joke.
I don't understand your hysteria.

By your logic, none of us should be allowed to own kitchen knives because some people have used them to commit murders.

Centrebet and other legal betting agencies aren't to blame for people wanting to fix sporting events, in fact, the cricket corruption you lovingly refer to, has in the most part gone hand in hand with illegal bookmakers.

People have choices in this world, unfortunately as a society we spend too much time trying to absolve people of their bad choices by demonising "evil corporations", rather than hold them responsible for the stupid decisions they make.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

its amusing that people are trying to differentiate between illegal bookmakers and legal betting agencies, as if it is more moral on one side of the fence but not on the other. The collingwood boys didnt bet with illegal bookmakers, neither did Matthew Primus, Dean Wallis, Bock this list would have to be the tip of the iceberg. Players can still use offshore agencies, & bookies still exist in australia, its just that the legal agencies have become so normalised players and officials cant be bothered (or are too dumb) to cover their tracks.
In the meantime there is enough concern about the gambling corruption problem to warrant the Vic police the ACC & sporting bodies to launch Maintaining Integrity in Sport Forum.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/corru ... 1ot8b.html

Seeya
The Jeff
Club Player

loris wrote:
snowdelisaint wrote:I have not bought any merchandise since that company appeared.
snowdelisaint............................ Wow just watched the non p/c video clip of Lily of Laguna in your sig: :shock: :shock: :shock:

"Coon"
"Black sheep"
Nuggeted face of white man
Smoking in theatre

Things sure were different in 1934 :shock: :wink: :shock: :wink:

Guess it shows how societies attitudes change....... all for the better IMHO............. same is evolving about gambling advertisting IMHO :wink:
I also noted that it was sung to the tune of the Carlton Theme Song. But yes,it does show how attitudes have shifted and I think the same will be reflected soon with Gambling. Look at the momentum for change in the media right now.

FQF