Tommy Walsh substitutes (Markworth and Wilkes)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Tommy was very impressive in the International Rules
round ball.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
sainterinsydney
Club Player

End of next year will give an indication on how well we did out of this trade. I feel, personally, two players is always better than one, unless they are a proven brownlow medallist.

lendog heaven
Club Player

irrelevant

Tramps like us.............
Scoop
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
round ball.
....and the Irish were playing a third rate Aussie side.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Scoop wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
round ball.
....and the Irish were playing a third rate Aussie side.
Joel Patfull represented Australia...Joel Patfull!!!!

He is useless in a useless team

Middo
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Middo wrote:If Tommy Walsh was up to it I'm sure he would have been given a chance it seems like he's been built up as the next big thing but has he really delivered any thing ...? Was he demanding a game ..? Or should he have been gifted a game to see what he can do ...?
Were Siposs and Ledger and Cripps "demanding a game" when they got picked? It certainly didn't seem so, from memory. Blake also didn't seem to be setting the world on fire when they picked him again, after a run in the VFL I imagine all this would have irked Tommy to a fair degree and contributed to him wanting to leave. He came top 7 or whatever in the Sandy B&F both years and performed perfectly adequately for us in the NAB Cup, yet was never deemed to be doing well enough to be given a try at AFL level? Is this what you're suggesting? Sydney, who have an extremely high success rate of spotting talent in other teams (eg. Mumford, who they got in an almost identical way to Tommy, Kennedy and McGlynn, are three very recent examples) apparently beg to differ with you. I'm sure they do even more now after he dominated in the International Rules games, albeit with a round ball (I'm pretty confident he'll be pretty used to the oval one by now, though.) Sometimes it's just worth throwing someone in there, like Australia did with Pat Cummins in the last cricket test (despite him having taken just 9 wickets in 3 first class games, at a poor average of 46, prior to that and not having played a first class game in months). Sometimes you need to be proactive, not just reactive, in sport (or any other aspect of life).
I for one will be surprised if he doesn't do well for Sydney, but I'm also happy with the selection of Wilkes, as he seems almost a like for like replacement for Tommy (maybe without the speed and thumping kick) and Markworth apparently gives us a lot to work with, so we could definitely come out ahead in the long run and I certainly hope we do.

Yeah I agree you don't quite know what you have got until the player gets a chance but I think the club knew he was going to struggle at the next level and thats why a big play to keep him was not made. With Siposs, Ledger and Cripps being thrown a game these are young guys who have shown something at some stage in the two's and I think the club could see the value of blooding them this year. I'm banking on Ledger to take a huge step next season ...

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I for one will be surprised if he (Walsh) doesn't do well for Sydney.
I fear that you are right and that Lyin's stubborness and reluctance to take chances will cost us again. I'll be happy to be proved wrong, but I don't think I am.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

At no. 68, Wilkes looks to be a value pick-up for a known spot that needs to be covered. Late picks tend to be short term "fillers." Time will tell.

I thought that Markworth was a forward - and nice to get him !

I was keen for Tommy to get a game or two - Lyon's fault in my opinion. We may have lost a good one there. However, it seems that Sydney may have been "into him" for quite a while, especially when he would not re-sign mid-year.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
round ball.
lendog heaven wrote:
irrelevant
Yes it is because I was addressing the post above me where the person questioned Tommy's performance in the International Rules games. I know it doesn't have any correlation with AFL however that wasn't the point.