Games Played

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Games Played

SENIOR LIST
241 Lenny Hayes
236 Stephen Milne
219 Nick Riewoldt
216 Nick Dal Santo
199 Jason Blake
187 Adam Schneider
185 Brendon Goddard
176 Justin Koschitzke
169 Leigh Montagna
167 Sam Fisher
146 Farren Ray
139 Jason Gram
119 Sean Dempster
117 Brett Peake
110 Sam Gilbert
97 Clinton Jones
82 Raphael Clarke
82 James Gwilt
71 Dean Polo
53 Ben McEvoy
52 Jarryn Geary
50 David Armitage

30 Jack Steven
23 Beau Wilkes
9 Rhys Stanley
5 Arryn Siposs
4 Jamie Cripps
2 Tom Ledger
2 Tom Simpkin
2 Nicholas Winmar
1 Daniel Archer
0 Sam Crocker
0 Jay Lever
0 David Markworth
0 Terry Milera
0 Jack Newnes
0 Sebastian Ross
0 Ahmed Saad
0 Jimmy Webster

ROOKIE LIST
0 Warrick Andreoli
0 Thomas Curren
0 Jackson Ferguson
0 Rookie Round 1
0 Rookie Round 2
0 Rookie Round 3
0 Rookie Round 4
0 Rookie Round 5

I deliberately left a space after the 22 players who have played the most games.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

The depth of experience on this list is the lowest I have seen.
Normally the club has around 30 experienced players.

Injuries guarantee that players on 30 games or less will get games this year.

The clubs fortunes for 2012 will hinge on how well the inexperienced players step up.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Though some of those inexperienced guys have experience at other levels I guess....not purely kids

Rosco
Club Player

ace wrote:The depth of experience on this list is the lowest I have seen.

The clubs fortunes for 2012 will hinge on how well the inexperienced players step up.
geelong has 17 players who've player 50+ AFL games, 18 if you include JPods (42 AFL games). they then have another 6 who have played between 10 to 49 AFL games (excluding JPods). our list is comparatively much more experienced than this years premiers (noting that they have just dropped ~4 retirees although mooney and milburn didn't play much this year).

collingwood has 21 players who've player 50+ AFL games. they then have another 6 who have played between 10 to 49 AFL games. our list is not far behind this in terms of experience.

Hammer
Club Player

Good post Ace!

When you list the players like that it really points out how much we have not blooded kids.
As others say, they will have to get a go next year and hope the selectors mix it up to build the competition amongst the boys.

Bring back the Hammer!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

That group from Polo to Wilkes should be ready to take the next step. Below that further development should be put in but anything else is bonus. Cripps should get games and Ledger and crocker should get a few chances to show what they can do.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

There are a few on the list above who will, or who could, join the 200 game club in 2012...Great effort guys...

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

"The challenge clearly is to contend every year if possible but also bring through the next group of talent...

"In my view there is a lot of talent that hasn't had the opportunity at senior level that we will see come through......There is no doubt young players thrive on opportunity. You can have the best development programs, the best coaching methods, the best conditioning staff but unless those young talented players get opportunity at senior level their development is going to be hindered."

Scott Watters was always going to embrace a philosophy of developing the youth at St Kilda in 2012, but after the success experienced down at sleepy hollow this year I reckon the Cats revolving selection policy will be a great template for us next year.

The quotes at the top here are from around 12 months ago when the newly appointed rookie coach at THE CATS was being interviewed. It's interesting to re-visit now and I swear, if you weren't told it was about Chris Scott, you'd think it was our very own Scott Watters talking. We could do a lot worse than mirror what the rookie coach did there...link to the quotes;

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5940402764

And some more from Neil Balmes insights on Chris Scott;
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/c ... 6154329980

His first task as Geelong coach was his toughest - sitting down with the senior players and giving it to them straight. His philosophy was simple. He wanted everyone to know where they stood.

While the rest of the football world was declaring the club's era of success over after the preliminary final humiliation by Collingwood, Scott did not agree but acknowledged things had to change.

He sat down with Darren Milburn, Cameron Mooney, Brad Ottens and even captain Cameron Ling and told them there were no guarantees and they were unlikely to get a game every week.

"It's easy to say those things, but very difficult to implement it," Balme said. "It's very difficult to have the right kind of respect, the recognition of the warriors, the ones who have done it all, but still create opportunities for the young blokes so that you've got that natural development and growth in your mob."

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:The depth of experience on this list is the lowest I have seen.

Great thread and great post Ace!

Really like the breakdown by games played.

We have a very ordinary middle gap their without many emerging stars, more just honest players.

What I like is the injection of midield youth, I really like the look of Ledger, Cripps, Crocker.... And with Webster, Ross & Newens it seems like the biggest midfield recruiting drive since 2001.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:"The challenge clearly is to contend every year if possible but also bring through the next group of talent...

"In my view there is a lot of talent that hasn't had the opportunity at senior level that we will see come through......There is no doubt young players thrive on opportunity. You can have the best development programs, the best coaching methods, the best conditioning staff but unless those young talented players get opportunity at senior level their development is going to be hindered."

Scott Watters was always going to embrace a philosophy of developing the youth at St Kilda in 2012, but after the success experienced down at sleepy hollow this year I reckon the Cats revolving selection policy will be a great template for us next year.

The quotes at the top here are from around 12 months ago when the newly appointed rookie coach at THE CATS was being interviewed. It's interesting to re-visit now and I swear, if you weren't told it was about Chris Scott, you'd think it was our very own Scott Watters talking. We could do a lot worse than mirror what the rookie coach did there...link to the quotes;

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5940402764

And some more from Neil Balmes insights on Chris Scott;
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/c ... 6154329980

His first task as Geelong coach was his toughest - sitting down with the senior players and giving it to them straight. His philosophy was simple. He wanted everyone to know where they stood.

While the rest of the football world was declaring the club's era of success over after the preliminary final humiliation by Collingwood, Scott did not agree but acknowledged things had to change.

He sat down with Darren Milburn, Cameron Mooney, Brad Ottens and even captain Cameron Ling and told them there were no guarantees and they were unlikely to get a game every week.

"It's easy to say those things, but very difficult to implement it," Balme said. "It's very difficult to have the right kind of respect, the recognition of the warriors, the ones who have done it all, but still create opportunities for the young blokes so that you've got that natural development and growth in your mob."

Great post! I did think it was Watters!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Recruiting Fevola never seemed so enticing!

Minimum salary

Rookie

Not taking any young forwards spot

Get him in.

Hammer
Club Player

Surely the Saints will be Supercoach GOLD in 2012!
Great opportunities for the kids and exciting for us.

At least we are looking forward again! :D

Bring back the Hammer!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Recruiting Fevola never seemed so enticing!

Minimum salary

Rookie

Not taking any young forwards s

Get him in.
Out of interest can anyone be a rookie?
Is rookie just a contract type nowadays? It used to be restricted to games or age ?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Spinner wrote:Recruiting Fevola never seemed so enticing!

Minimum salary

Rookie

Not taking any young forwards s

Get him in.
Out of interest can anyone be a rookie?
Is rookie just a contract type nowadays? It used to be restricted to games or age ?
Not sure of the restriction now, but know they were effectively removed I think to compensate the GC and GWS drafts.