Did we do good??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
skeptic wrote:
8856brother wrote:
BigMart wrote:I wont give an opinion....as its NOT allowed, unless of course its only positive...

Then again, its a forum where everyones allowed an opinion....

From reports

Underwhelming, some players drafted had modest impacts in TAC Cup/Champs/Draft combine
Not sure on the pace of Ross
Markworth seems an OK get....but a lead up fwd...dont we have a 19yo one who looks the goods..
The Tassie boy might be a bolter

but players aside....who may turn out OK

its the lack of size that worries me.....did we round out our list and fill deficiencies....NOT so sure
Well done on your positivity once again. You would have no idea, just like all of us. Just stirring sh#t. You are so predictable. It's sad.
at least he actually has an opinion on the topic
Does he? Look at the first sentance. Whats your opinion Einstein?
I'm quite happy to admit that I know SFA about the draftees

What I won't do is shoot someone day for having an opinion on footy and not contribute to the topic

and if you actually read the threads, St. Mart has expressed his opinion on numerous threads super brain

Rosco
Club Player

someone mentioned manson above - NOT PICKED

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/2 ... 1nweq.html

stinger
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Comparing the Phantom Draft on AFL site:

Seb Ross...we took at #25.....they said #31
Markson....we took at #35......thay said #13
Newness....we took at #37......they said #92
Webster.....we took at #42......they said #49

No mention of others except Blake.

I suppose apart from Newnes its around the mark.

Pick #20 for Saad, Milera and Ross reads pretty well I guess.

the huns "pick me series had the victorian boys markworth 15-20
ross 30-50
newnes 40-60
Last edited by stinger on Thu 24 Nov 2011 11:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

StGoddard18
Club Player

May I point out its Markworth not Markson.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

StGoddard18 wrote:May I point out its Markworth not Markson.
:oops: ....i just copied the name from the post above...that will learn me... :oops:

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:Are we that much devoid of height?

Existing guys like Rhys, Archer, Ferguson are going to have to push guys out to get a shot, yet we still seem stressed about lack of talls.

Can anyone tell me how tall Winmar was when we drafted him, and how tall he is now?

Seems to have shot up to me, appears taller than Siposs?
I must say I was staggered when I saw Winmar on Wednesday for the exact same reason, Im sure he has shot up, his legs looked like Rhys and Macs (stretched)!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

The fact that Kevin Sheehan had 2 of our picks in his top 30, and we had our second pick at 35 is a plus.

Tony Elshaugh's summary was strong on character....very strong on character actually. I think this is important. A no-di**heads policy has to be right. Maybe one or two guys who people seemed surprised were passed over had character concerns. Fair enough.

Also 2 (maybe 3?) left-footers which continues Pelchen's Hawthorn policy of recruiting left-footers. Blokes who hit targets more often.....according to research.

Sounds pretty good to me. Not sure what else the doom-sayers are looking for.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Looks pretty good. We're still a bit thin in the tall stocks but one or two mature rookies would give a bit of insurance. Drafting Wilkes surely indicates we won't be drafting Dowler and instead will take a ruckman. Wouldn't mind another young athlete to mould into a tall defender or an unpredictable talent like Manson.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
8856brother wrote:
skeptic wrote:
8856brother wrote:
BigMart wrote:I wont give an opinion....as its NOT allowed, unless of course its only positive...

Then again, its a forum where everyones allowed an opinion....

From reports

Underwhelming, some players drafted had modest impacts in TAC Cup/Champs/Draft combine
Not sure on the pace of Ross
Markworth seems an OK get....but a lead up fwd...dont we have a 19yo one who looks the goods..
The Tassie boy might be a bolter

but players aside....who may turn out OK

its the lack of size that worries me.....did we round out our list and fill deficiencies....NOT so sure
Well done on your positivity once again. You would have no idea, just like all of us. Just stirring sh#t. You are so predictable. It's sad.
at least he actually has an opinion on the topic
Does he? Look at the first sentance. Whats your opinion Einstein?
I'm quite happy to admit that I know SFA about the draftees

What I won't do is shoot someone day for having an opinion on footy and not contribute to the topic

and if you actually read the threads, St. Mart has expressed his opinion on numerous threads super brain
Yes it is an opinion but as usual he looks for the negative and lets face it without any knowledge. He wouldnt have seen many if any of these play so like most on this thread why didnt he say it is to early to comment. That is what most have done. But no he goes negative. That is what is annoying. Well to me it is. You may find his posts insightful where as I find then full of shite and from a person who has more tickets on himself than a ticket inspector. By the way my posts are full of s*** as well so no point in commenting on that. Thought Id get in before others.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol
grown about a cm

unreal
how'd ya figure that one out?

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Up early Plugger. Just about to go to bed here. I've been looking around for some perspective on our recruits. St Kilda's BF site has some nice vision and comments from opposition supporters and a guy from Tassie. Obviously for Webster.

I really like our guys. Ross seems an absolutely dedicated talented guy. Markworth a very interesting intelligent young man doing Bio- Medicine at Uni. All round people, top guys. Very important. Think it's fine to talk about people with character, but different to identify and then get them.

I'm impressed.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
SainterK wrote:Are we that much devoid of height?

Existing guys like Rhys, Archer, Ferguson are going to have to push guys out to get a shot, yet we still seem stressed about lack of talls.

Can anyone tell me how tall Winmar was when we drafted him, and how tall he is now?

Seems to have shot up to me, appears taller than Siposs?
I must say I was staggered when I saw Winmar on Wednesday for the exact same reason, Im sure he has shot up, his legs looked like Rhys and Macs (stretched)!
So I'm not going crazy? :wink:

His limbs do look like he has utilised a stretch machine lately huh

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:All the people in the know have said over and over it was a poor draft for talls. So why would we take talls who are not likely to make it?
The midfielders were a stronger group so that is the way we went.
Lever is the exception and of course Wilkes to give us a back up key position player.
8.5/10 for me.
Agree seems to be general consensus but who knows. It's clear we've finally decided to get some decent foot skillsin which is great.

“Yeah….nah””
Joffa 5
Club Player

Verdun66 wrote: St Kilda's BF site has some nice vision and comments from opposition supporters and a guy from Tassie. Obviously for Webster.
A couple of positives on the BF drafting forum too. It's nice to get some feedback from an outsiders perspective I guess. It's easy to don the rose coloured glasses when it's your own team.
From a glance I think the Saints have done very well for themselves as did the Cats.
Don't mind what St K did, (pre-listed) two small forwards; then drafted two or three good midfield kids, a talented tall forward, and an experienced depth back. That's a solid haul, assuming they're all roughly as good as expected.
I liked Adelaide, Stk, Wce and WB
Outside Of GWS, I'd say it was Adelaide, Essendon, St. Kilda, Sydney and Carlton as my top 5
saints have done well with their U18 picks. all 4 could pay off big time.
It's just a guess, but I think both the Cats and Saints have done well

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:lol
grown about a cm

unreal
how'd ya figure that one out?
Because I know.

Hammer
Club Player

Who did the red line marking??? :shock: :?

Bring back the Hammer!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I like the look of our picks. A bit of pace, a bit of class, a ready made and along term tall. Wilkes will surprise a few I think. Markworth and Lever look like good gets.

The smalls we got seem to have good disposal or pace -something we have been needing for sometime.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

...and Windley and Clark on the Superfooty website vision reckon we are one of the main draft winners. Quite complimentary. You don't see that too often!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Yes it is an opinion but as usual he looks for the negative and lets face it without any knowledge. He wouldnt have seen many if any of these play so like most on this thread why didnt he say it is to early to comment.
I guess that's where we differ. To me that's not really an opinion.

You're right, most of us know SFA... St. Mart like all of us is pbly basing his opinion on the various things that he's read on this forum + others. I don't see what's wrong with that.
Ross for example by some accounts may have been taken lower than indicated by many phantom drafts... what's wrong with calling that? Esp when many players that were predicted to go higher still remained. The chip on St. Mart's shoulder seemed to be that we needed more KPPs and didn't address that.
Again his opinion and I think that that's a fair enough opinion.

If you want opinions, a balanced forumite needs to be capable of providing both positive and negative feedback.
Many ppl remember that Marto felt the writing was on the wall early for Howard and Sweeney...
He also said that Gilbert was an absolute spot on winner early on... few ppl remember that 1 though

My opinion is that it was a bit of a stranger draft to be honest... full of climbers and sliders and several certainties that have not been picked up altogether that has stunned many commentators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Hammer wrote:Who did the red line marking??? :shock: :?
Even the line markers are on smack around frangers.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:All the people in the know have said over and over it was a poor draft for talls. So why would we take talls who are not likely to make it?
Lever is the exception and of course Wilkes to give us a back up key position player.
8.5/10 for me.
fair call. im glad we didnt get elton. big dud.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

8.5/10 for me.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Verdun66 wrote:Up early Plugger. Just about to go to bed here. I've been looking around for some perspective on our recruits. St Kilda's BF site has some nice vision and comments from opposition supporters and a guy from Tassie. Obviously for Webster.

I really like our guys. Ross seems an absolutely dedicated talented guy. Markworth a very interesting intelligent young man doing Bio- Medicine at Uni. All round people, top guys. Very important. Think it's fine to talk about people with character, but different to identify and then get them.

I'm impressed.
If academic success defined a footballer I would be the equivalent of Goddard.

But seriously why does it matter if they are 'top guys' and who on earth can judge if anyone is a 'top guy' at age 18/19?

I was a 'top guy' at 18 and look what happened.....

S.A Saint
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:
Verdun66 wrote:Up early Plugger. Just about to go to bed here. I've been looking around for some perspective on our recruits. St Kilda's BF site has some nice vision and comments from opposition supporters and a guy from Tassie. Obviously for Webster.

I'm impressed.

But seriously why does it matter if they are 'top guys' and who on earth can judge if anyone is a 'top guy' at age 18/19?

It's usually once a d1ckhead always a d1ckhead. (Fev as an example)

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

S.A Saint wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:

I'm impressed.

It's usually once a d1ckhead always a d1ckhead. (Fev as an example)
Relax old chum I am taking ze mickey out of myself.

Humility is the sign of a strong human being. Obviously I display this hence my strength.