Did the St Kilda board rig a clash jumper poll in 2007?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thequarry
Club Player

Did the St Kilda board rig a clash jumper poll in 2007?

Apologies for another clash jumper thread, but I thought this warranted one of its own. I put up a post on this at Red, White and Black, but I thought a few people on here would be interested to know about this and discuss it.

Some of you here will be familiar with the fantastic footyjumpers.com, which is run by Roberth Meredith (more commonly known as "Mero"), and is a brilliantly researched, detailed look at the history of the jumper designs of VFL/AFL clubs.

Mero posts regularly on the Footy Graphic Design board at BigFooty, and in the last few days a thread was started on the board titled "Jumpers that never were". I posted this jumper, which some will remember lost out in a two-way vote in the 2007 pre-season to the much-despised "apron" design:

Later in the thread, Mero said something quite surprising about the jumper design I'd posted - it turns out he'd designed it:
"The jumper I designed, with the chevrons down the sides was leading the poll with one day to go.
And when they announced the decision it was the other jumper by something like 60% to 40%.
My thoughts were they had decided on the one they wanted, and ran the other one to make it look like the fans had a say.
Not bitter, wasn't getting anything out of it, so it doesn't matter, and I don't barrack for StKilda, but I was taking an interest because of the design, and they definitely pulled a swifty."

Later in the thread (further down this page) he talks about his involvement with the St Kilda Heritage Museum (and his contibution to the 2005 Heritage Round jumper design) and how his chevron design ended up being in the official poll.

So two issues arise here if you disliked the apron design as much as I did: firstly, of course, the fact that the club ended up wearing it at all when it shouldn't have, but there is of course the bigger issue of the Rod Butterss board - assuming what Mero said is true - effectively lying to its fans about giving it the chance to have a say in the club's operations, regardless of how much magnitude you afford the clash jumper design issue.

As an aside, his story about the 2005 Heritage Jumper is quite interesting - particularly the idea of a gold jumper as a clash design to replace the candy stripe - and the history of the St Kilda jumper's evolution is worth checking out in its own right at footyjumpers.com; you can view all the jumpers here and the full home uniforms since the establishment and the VFA days here.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

they didn't have to have a poll

thequarry
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:they didn't have to have a poll
Well, assuming I understand the way you're saying it, of course not - but if Mero's story is true, it means the board went out of their way to say to the fans, "Hey, we want to invite you to have a say in the operations and the image of the club", either knowing it was a lie the whole time, or totally disrespecting the input they (we) were invited to make.

I also really, really disliked the apron design, particularly compared to "alternative".

asiu
Saintsational Legend

... i was one of the few around here that liked the washed out white.
Would they rig it ?
Absolutely !

Predominately white was the terminology / mantra.
Advertisers must like white ... therefore they win.
As they do , as they did ... imo.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

my point is they didn't need to rig it, so why rig it? why hold a pol why not just ask for feedback instead?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I like the 2010 H & A and 2005 heritage jumpers the best.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

it's quite possible there were 1000 votes before the last day and then 3000 votes on the last day which completely changed the complexion of the ballot. i've run a few of these and that's almost always the way it happens, with most of the votes coming in right near the end.

personally i couldn't give a flying f*** which jumper they wear. footy jumpers are ugly by definition so little tweaks don't necessarily help that much.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:... i was one of the few around here that liked the washed out white.
Would they rig it ?
Absolutely !

Predominately white was the terminology / mantra.
Advertisers must like white ... therefore they win.
As they do , as they did ... imo.
i actually was also quite fond of that washed out jumper...had a bit of character to it...the other one is a bit too busy for my liking..... :wink:

Rosco
Club Player

if they did rig it then they must be sacked.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Did the St Kilda board rig a clash jumper poll in 2007?

thequarry wrote:Image
I will be happy to never see the return of this guernsey.

The faded club crest was an absolute mockery.

Almost as bad as Barks' favourite black & gold strip.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
shmic_s
Club Player

Re: Did the St Kilda board rig a clash jumper poll in 2007?

Sainternist wrote:
thequarry wrote:Image
I will be happy to never see the return of this guernsey.

The faded club crest was an absolute mockery.

Almost as bad as Barks' favourite black & gold strip.
It would get a pass mark if it wasn't for that faded club crest.

This was during a time where you couldn't find a new pair of jeans that wern't pre-rippped and faded.

Rosco
Club Player

that faded jumper was hideous. i don't mind the design in the OP, perhaps if the arm / neck trims were white it may improve it as a clash jumper.

snowdelisaint
Club Player

Elementary mistake distressing the crest., shows they had NO idea.

Tassie Saint
Club Player
Location: In the wilds of Tassie - Where boys become men, and cousins become wives

Confession time: I voted for the faded apron jumper. :oops:

DON'T HATE ME PLEASE!

I really didn't like the look of the chevrons and still don't tbh - not really a fan of the faded one either, but still think I prefer that to the the chevrons...

Caaaaaarn you Sainters!!