Goddard should be sold off now

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:What about the article in the paper today, quoting SOS, saying that GWS have their opening right now, to sign up those who are out of contract at the end of next season? In that article, Goddard is the second one mentioned as being highly sought after by them. They can sign him up right now for 2013, if they haven't already:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/g ... 6200160013
That article is in the paper because we are in the middle of the "Secret Window" for GWS to sign uncontracted players. The "Secret Window" is from 16 November (List Lodgement 2) until 24 November (National Draft)

Lets NOT kid ourselves, Pendelbury will be their 1st target, closely followed by Goddard. With the ammount of money these two can command in these inflated times GWS will probably only be able to choose one of them. Lets hope its Pendelbury !!
Pendelbury already has a Premiership medallion around his neck, whereas BJ, of course, does not.

Money is one thing but it's not everything. I wonder if Ablett would have signed with the Suns if he hadn't played in a flag and the Cats were on the cusp?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:What about the article in the paper today, quoting SOS, saying that GWS have their opening right now, to sign up those who are out of contract at the end of next season? In that article, Goddard is the second one mentioned as being highly sought after by them. They can sign him up right now for 2013, if they haven't already:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/g ... 6200160013
That article is in the paper because we are in the middle of the "Secret Window" for GWS to sign uncontracted players. The "Secret Window" is from 16 November (List Lodgement 2) until 24 November (National Draft)
I know, but I was responding directly to Ross who's claim, that "Nothing has been said about BJ going to GWS since trade week. I was expecting the media to start with it. Nothing from them. The flames are being fanned by Saints supporters here on SS.", which is not correct, as there is an article about it in the media today, with Goddard's picture front and centre.
And I think we all have our fingers crossed that they sign up Pendlebury, although BJ would still be open to leave as a "free agent". I just hope he signs ASAP! I will find it hard watching Tommy play for Sydney, but I think I would find it excruciating watching BJ play for someone else.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Well, This is a great test for our admin..

If they can keep BJ (post 2012), then they have performed adequately.

If he walks for (virtually) nothing, then seriously....Heads must roll!!

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote:Well, This is a great test for our admin..

Why because he'll be going for 3 to 4 times his salary at St.Kilda. Wouldn't you change jobs if someone else offered you 3 to 4 times your salary

Another opportunity awaits!
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

GWS won't be offering him 3 or 4 times what we offer him, that's for sure, unless they're going to be paying him something like $3mil a year!

Hank

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:GWS won't be offering him 3 or 4 times what we offer him, that's for sure, unless they're going to be paying him something like $3mil a year!

They have stack loads of money but nowhere near that much . With falafel and sculpt already getting in the millions highly unlikely they would have that sort of money to throw at BJ .

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Will the club losing any player signed during the "secret window" receive any compensation at all?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Does carinsman have a problem with BJ?
and for that matter anyone else wanting to ' trade him off' now? some seem to grab any opportunity to begin the rumours- Most of the media are resigned to the fact that BJ is staying yet some saints fans flicker the rumour fire..

he is quaility and to me you reward quaility by sticking fat.

isn't thisexactly what happened with the OLD St Kilda- just get alittle of credibility then throw it all away or let it walk

I would have thought one of the reasons for the Saints making room in the salary cap would be to make a much better tilt at keeping the Core who are committed to OUR team... and have shown it over recent months.

why is it some supporters are not as committed- ormaybe are more short sighted.... it's not exact so throw the options away...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Does carinsman have a problem with BJ?
and for that matter anyone else wanting to ' trade him off' now? some seem to grab any opportunity to begin the rumours- Most of the media are resigned to the fact that BJ is staying yet some saints fans flicker the rumour fire..

isn't thisexactly what happened with the OLD St Kilda- just get alittle of credibility then throw it all away or let it walk

I would have thought one of the reasons for the Saints making room in the salary cap would be to make a much better tilt at keeping the Core who are committed to OUR team... and have shown it over recent months.

why is it some supporters are not as committed- ormaybe are more short sighted.... it's not exact so throw the options away...

Cairnsman is definitely not a committed supporter. He has openly confessed that the Suns are more or less his #1 team.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
southernsaint
Club Player

Under the new veterans rules BJ will be able to go on the saints veterans list in 2013. players will not have to be over 30, just 10 years at a club. Each club will be able to have up to 8 players on their veterans list. Thats just about our whole elite core.

winmaaah
Club Player

Giving away one of our best because we 'might' lose him, is just too defeatist for mine. Its sounds like the board is working over time too keep him, and they more than likely will.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Will the club losing any player signed during the "secret window" receive any compensation at all?
Yes. Those signings will not be announced until after the 2012 season and the compensation will be worked out then, as it will be for someone who only makes up their mind to go to GWS then. For all we know Scully could have signed with GWS during this same opening 12 months ago, yet only announced it after the 2011 season. Same for Gazzy Jnr, the year before, with GC.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

southernsaint wrote:Under the new veterans rules BJ will be able to go on the saints veterans list in 2013. players will not have to be over 30, just 10 years at a club. Each club will be able to have up to 8 players on their veterans list. Thats just about our whole elite core.

Is this true?

Should benefit us greatly given all our best players were drafted, and all are oldish.

southernsaint
Club Player

Yes. But only $100,000 of each players wage will be excluded from the cap. This will effectively give the saints an extra $800,000 above the official cap. thats why i dont think BJ will be going anywhere.

TD
Club Player

Worst thread award

Birdcage Hero

Hurts so much to say it but we should sell off BJ

Unfortunately as much as it hurts me to say it, we should sell off BJ now and get something for him because next year we will get nothing as we did for Plugger. BJ has given everything to our club and no-one should stand in his way if he was to go. This is the reality of the AFL going forward.

We live in hope
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hurts so much to say it but we should sell off BJ

Birdcage Hero wrote:Unfortunately as much as it hurts me to say it, we should sell off BJ now and get something for him because next year we will get nothing as we did for Plugger. BJ has given everything to our club and no-one should stand in his way if he was to go. This is the reality of the AFL going forward.
WHY is there any need for BJ to leave.... :roll:
Last edited by saintbrat on Sun 20 Nov 2011 6:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
StGoddard18
Club Player

Bj has on many occasions fist pumped his heart during games and that gives me confidence he will stay.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Moccha wrote:
tweedaletomanning wrote:Well, This is a great test for our admin..

Why because he'll be going for 3 to 4 times his salary at St.Kilda. Wouldn't you change jobs if someone else offered you 3 to 4 times your salary
Nope! Not EVERYONE would! Sad if money is the be all and end all of your decision making in life.

Just Extremely releived that you don't work in any capacity for our defence department (i hope)., cos it looks like you'd be happy to jump ship for a few extra bills, eh? :wink:

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:Does carinsman have a problem with BJ?

This!

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
Birdcage Hero wrote:Unfortunately as much as it hurts me to say it, we should sell off BJ now and get something for him because next year we will get nothing as we did for Plugger. BJ has given everything to our club and no-one should stand in his way if he was to go. This is the reality of the AFL going forward.
WHY is there any ned for BJ to leave.... :roll:
Exactly, there is NO reason for him to leave.

He is our MOST important player at the club ATM and probably will be for at least the next 3-4 years.

If we can not keep him, then HEADS MUST ROLL!!! ( And I GUARANTEE you they will)

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

In no possible way can the AFL's massive investment in the creation of the ersatz, supporter-free GWS football club be described as "going forward".

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

TD wrote:Worst thread award

Absolutly agree with this. It's almost as if this poster wants him gone. Unfortantly this won't be the last shyte thread like this.

I love this club
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
Saintbrat, these type of posts and posters are so shyte that it's not worth your time responding. Have to question if they are Saints supporters at all. Plugger was always going to leave, he was desperate for money, they afl at the time made it very easy for the lame ducks to get him abd not a lot we could do about it.

I love this club
Rosco
Club Player

Stillwaiting wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
Saintbrat, these type of posts and posters are so shyte that it's not worth your time responding. Have to question if they are Saints supporters at all. Plugger was always going to leave, he was desperate for money, they afl at the time made it very easy for the lame ducks to get him abd not a lot we could do about it.
PLUS there is no mechanism for us to go out and get something for him. Trade week is long over. Nuff nuffs.