Dawson Gone!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BonoRocks
Club Player

Re: More motivation to kick FREO's butts!

WinnersOnly wrote:More motivation to kick FREO's butts!

How big is the first game going to be next year - I cant wait to get stuck into them. They are the number 1 team on my hate list.

Having said that the SAINTS are better of without both of them !
i cant wait to see our forwards playing on zac, will be good to watch zac for a change... im having a good day today, thank you zac...

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Ppl are saying that Dawson is an average player. OF COURSE he's an average player. If we had 22 stars then our salary cap would have burst long ago. Every club has average players - as long as they do their job then that's fine. Full back is a crucial position b/c there are very FEW players who can do that job. He went ok when he played there. I would have been happy to lose every one of the players we re-signed before losing Zac. Much easier to replace a Peake, Polo, Clarke or Dempster than a Dawson.

I hope like hell that I'm proven wrong and that some young star gets an opportunity and grabs it. I think ppl just expect that this will happen though.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Ppl are saying that Dawson is an average player. OF COURSE he's an average player. If we had 22 stars then our salary cap would have burst long ago. Every club has average players - as long as they do their job then that's fine. Full back is a crucial position b/c there are very FEW players who can do that job. He went ok when he played there. I would have been happy to lose every one of the players we re-signed before losing Zac. Much easier to replace a Peake, Polo, Clarke or Dempster than a Dawson.

I hope like hell that I'm proven wrong and that some young star gets an opportunity and grabs it. I think ppl just expect that this will happen though.
Thought Dawson did his job for us very well while at the Saints.

Will never forget the attempt he made in the 09 GF, left his opponent by 30 metres to contest, spolit, and the ball hit Scarlett on the toe, an inch or two the other way and we were away.

Good luck Zac. Thanks for your efforts.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintlee
Club Player

From The Age today.....hard to believe Freo would offer Zac over $1M over three years....can't blame him for chasing those dollars, but I don't think he's worth it personally...

■ FORMER St Kilda fullback Zac Dawson is confident he will become a Fremantle Docker and reunite with coach Ross Lyon, most likely through the pre-season draft.

While other clubs with selections ahead of the Dockers could take Dawson in the December 13 pre-season draft, he is likely to nominate contract and salary terms that would dissuade the likes of Greater Western Sydney from securing him and ensure only the Dockers could afford him.

Richmond has already ruled out drafting Dawson. Gold Coast, Port Adelaide, Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane also have selections before the Dockers, who finished 11th this season.

''It would be pretty safe to think he would get to Freo in the pre-season draft,'' a source with knowledge of the situation said last night.

It's understood the Dockers have offered Dawson a three-year deal, believed to be worth more than $1 million, and may pass on their final pick in next week's national draft, No. 74, to keep a senior spot available for the pre-season draft.

Dockers defender Alex Silvagni yesterday said Dawson would be a quality addition. ''Obviously he's had finals experience, so I think he'd be really handy to slot into the backline,'' he said.

Dawson recently met Dockers officials in Perth.

It's believed he had wanted $300,000 to remain with St Kilda. However, the Saints, having dealt with salary-cap pressures, were unable to match that requirement.

The Dockers will use the funds they had set aside for their failed bid to lure Mitch Clark from Brisbane.

The Saints believe Dawson's defection will allow the likes of Rhys Stanley and Tom Simpkin to develop into key defenders.

Dawson's manager Marty Pask was unavailable for comment.

Former Collingwood forward Brad Dick was put through a medical screening by the Dockers yesterday and hopes to be put on a modified training program with the club this week. Dick, having endured a season-ending knee injury in June, hopes to be drafted by the Dockers.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/f ... 1nflv.html

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

NO way this guy is worth anywhere near 300k. Simpkin will turn out to be a better player. Not dissappointed that he's leaving

Another opportunity awaits!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote: The Dockers will use the funds they had set aside for their failed bid to lure Mitch Clark from Brisbane.

Former Collingwood forward Brad Dick was put through a medical screening by the Dockers yesterday and hopes to be put on a modified training program with the club this week. Dick, having endured a season-ending knee injury in June, hopes to be drafted by the Dockers.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/f ... 1nflv.html
Ross is up to his old tricks already, maxing out the cap with Dawson instead of Clark :D

Also drafting absolutely injury ruined players…

Keep it up champ, loving your work somewhere else.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

So Ross and Zac think a price on his head will keep away the likes of GC, GWS and the Tiges?

:shock:

Ok then.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:So Ross and Zac think a price on his head will keep away the likes of GC, GWS and the Tiges?

Ok then.
I think they are pretty confident. He starts training with them next week.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:So Ross and Zac think a price on his head will keep away the likes of GC, GWS and the Tiges?

Ok then.
So he will be fit, and available?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Ok then.
So 12 months down the track and once again we're likely to see pics of Dawson hanging around Dick :P

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I am really disappointed that we couldn't get him to sign. I like the way Simpkin plays but he isn't that big for a full back.

I could be wrong but if you thought Zac got pushed out of one on ones by strong bodied forwards, Simpkin won't have the reach along with it.

Added to that the fact that it substantially improves Freos options with a couple of their key backs able to play forward.

Makes me hate Ross a little more because make no bones about it, he has done the dirty here, he knew he would come for money that we couldn't pay and he didn't negotiate a trade. s*** Bloke.

My hope is that Rhys can do a Dustin Fletcher and get through 20 seasons at full back for us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I am really disappointed that we couldn't get him to sign. I like the way Simpkin plays but he isn't that big for a full back.

I could be wrong but if you thought Zac got pushed out of one on ones by strong bodied forwards, Simpkin won't have the reach along with it.

Added to that the fact that it substantially improves Freos options with a couple of their key backs able to play forward.

Makes me hate Ross a little more because make no bones about it, he has done the dirty here, he knew he would come for money that we couldn't pay and he didn't negotiate a trade. s*** Bloke.

My hope is that Rhys can do a Dustin Fletcher and get through 20 seasons at full back for us.
Pretty sure i would be blaming our previous list manager more than RL. The fact we had to get rid of a player like him is disgraceful.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Well our current one, Ameet Bains seems to be doing a good job, didn't lose as many as was initially made out....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Well our current one, Ameet Bains seems to be doing a good job, didn't lose as many as was initially made out....
Your right. He has done great but that doesnt help us at FB. It seems Drain wasnt that great though.

starsign
Club Player

That woul be an extra 3 Dicks added to the many at Freo with Lyin Dawson and The Dick himself
A team of dickheads coached by one!

Rosco
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:Well our current one, Ameet Bains seems to be doing a good job, didn't lose as many as was initially made out....
Your right. He has done great but that doesnt help us at FB. It seems Drain wasnt that great though.
or maybe they knew they'd probably lose a player and made it out to be worse, then losing only one seems like a good result. granted that if that was their strategy, then they played it well.

jays
Club Player

oh well not a big loss

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

jays wrote:oh well not a big loss
Well i think he is. KPP, proven finals player. Dont grow on trees.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
PJ
SS Life Member

Dawson was a list reject that was taught a role and played that role well. If you don't think he's replacable what skills does he have that others cannot fill?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Dawson was a list reject that was taught a role and played that role well. If you don't think he's replacable what skills does he have that others cannot fill?
Agree with you PJ. Zac was just part of our backline. He was a bit player in a great backline, won't be missed at all as far as I'm concerned.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

WE may miss him for a year or so, but beyond that it won't matter.

Average player who can be replaced by another average player. Plenty of them out there.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

[quote="cwrcyn"]WE may miss him for a year or so, but beyond that it won't matter.

Average player who can be replaced by another average player. Plenty of them out there.

.[/quoteApparently didn't think Saints were hard enough made his off season job difficult!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

To be fair, quite good at these...

However on most occasions it resembled this...

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I think I might just boo him

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:To be fair, quite good at these...

However on most occasions it resembled this...

Yeah, but when he missed they invariably resulted in goals, and often not to his direct opponent, hence people think he did his job, when he just gave the opposition opportunities.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell