Will the '66 bounce be our only piece of luck?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Will the '66 bounce be our only piece of luck?

Barry Breen's kick could have bounced in some other direction, although he would have been unlucky.

Greg Baum in The Age, writes about our "luck" in recent times. No news to us, but it could be to others:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/good-luc ... 9203376297

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

But we were lucky in 2010 GF that the Pies kicking for goal in the 1st half was nothing short of deplorable and kept us in the game!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Very well written piece, Baum is always a good read and he sums our lot up perfectly here... made me sick in the guts!

Moolie
Club Player

Is the football media this obsessed about the "bad luck" at other clubs, or is it that I only notice stuff about the Saints?

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Greg Baum misses the point .. we were on a rapid decline in 2011 under RL and leapfrogged by teams that had a youth policy and knew how to develop and recruit youth.

We were lucky to make the 8 this year (when everyone expected us to finish higher than Geelong) and I think another year under RL would have been disastrous.

Freo poaching RL may be the luck we needed .. luck comes in many forms and you may need to recognise it sometimes.
Last edited by samoht on Sat 22 Oct 2011 9:58am, edited 1 time in total.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Moolie wrote:Is the football media this obsessed about the "bad luck" at other clubs, or is it that I only notice stuff about the Saints?
we have been involved in both GF (recent) and lost were it is considered to play a part...thats why it is really only written/spoken about us

saint4life
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

It's not luck at all. We simply weren't good enough. In 2009 we missed shorts for goal that would have won us the grand final. Geelong didn't. We lost that because our skills weren't good enough when it countered under pressure.
In 2010, yeh you can blame the bounce, but don't give a team a 4 goal head start at half time then? Collingwood missed lots of shots for goal in the first half anyway. If we were good enough we would have won, but we weren't when it counted most! Geelong and Collingwood were both deserving premiers they performed when it mattered we didnt! Move on!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:It's not luck at all. We simply weren't good enough. In 2009 we missed shorts for goal that would have won us the grand final. Geelong didn't. We lost that because our skills weren't good enough when it countered under pressure.
In 2010, yeh you can blame the bounce, but don't give a team a 4 goal head start at half time then? Collingwood missed lots of shots for goal in the first half anyway. If we were good enough we would have won, but we weren't when it counted most! Geelong and Collingwood were both deserving premiers they performed when it mattered we didnt! Move on!
There was cetrainly someone who's "skills weren't good enough when it counted under pressure" in 2009 - That white maggot with the flags!!

Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

samoht wrote:Greg Baum misses the point .. we were on a rapid decline in 2011 under RL and leapfrogged by teams that had a youth policy and knew how to develop and recruit youth.

We were lucky to make the 8 this year (when everyone expected us to finish higher than Geelong) and I think another year under RL would have been disastrous.

Freo poaching RL may be the luck we needed .. luck comes in many forms and you may need to recognise it sometimes.
In hindsight I think you're right

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Spud wrote:
samoht wrote:Greg Baum misses the point .. we were on a rapid decline in 2011 under RL and leapfrogged by teams that had a youth policy and knew how to develop and recruit youth.

In hindsight I think you're right
After the initial shock of lyin leaving and the manner of how it alltraspired, I think Freo may have done us a favour.

I love this club
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

8856brother wrote:
R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:It's not luck at all. We simply weren't good enough. In 2009 we missed shorts for goal that would have won us the grand final. Geelong didn't. We lost that because our skills weren't good enough when it countered under pressure.
There was cetrainly someone who's "skills weren't good enough when it counted under pressure" in 2009 - That white maggot with the flags!!
Fair call if those numpty's could do there job right it would have helped the situation. Funny how things will only change now with goal scoring decisions after something happens when it involves collingwood in a grand final!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
Furphy
Club Player

Winners make their own luck!

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Furphy wrote:Winners make their own luck!
Or some winners are just plain lucky :cry: