Harvey & King quit StKilda Football Club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
SainterK wrote:Good luck to them both.

Hopefully Banger hasn't mistimed his move and he doesn't miss out on anything special.
Whilst Banger was a great player, I wasnt too happy with him coming back
To us as an assistant the other year.

Gardy could replace Kingy IMO.
I agree he shouldn't of come back already, but what was he supposed to do?

At that point Ross only managed to secure a player in King, a mate in Berbakov and a Port assistant into his coaching box.
You cant really think he had trouble attracting assistants?

How's he going at freo?

I would've though the idea of Harvey coming back would be to groom him for the top job.

This is a truly awful outcome... our greatest champion has been put in a position where he feels his only option is to walk out... and people are fine with this??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Hopefully Banger hasn't mistimed his move and he doesn't miss out on anything special.

At that point Ross only managed to secure a player in King, a mate in Berbakov and a Port assistant into his coaching box.

How's he going at freo?

I would've though the idea of Harvey coming back would be to groom him for the top job.

This is a truly awful outcome... our greatest champion has been put in a position where he feels his only option is to walk out... and people are fine with this??
Agreed.

Just emphasises how bad this board is.

Three coaches on contract. Three allowed to just waltz out.

WTF is going on? Why waste money on contracts at St.Kilda when you can just walk out with impunity?

Why not just a handshake agreement? :roll:

This mob goes from bad to worse. To put a contracted Rob Harvey in such a position that his dishonours a contract with the club he stuck by thick and thin as a player for 22 years is untenable.

The board is wholly responsible for this mess, and if anyone know the full story of the treachery involved in the initial Lyon walk out knows something is very rotten in Seaford to have Rob Harvey flee as fast as he could.

This mob is an absolute rabble, has shredded the books, lost almost countless football dept staff, have mishandled the SC so badly we lose Tommy Walsh, and now lose the Saints most favourite son since Trevor Barker.

Disgraceful.

But hey you guys wanted this mob, so dont blame me :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
markp
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

How's he going at freo?

Agreed.

WTF is going on? Why waste money on contracts at St.Kilda when you can just walk out with impunity?

This mob goes from bad to worse. To put a contracted Rob Harvey in such a position that his dishonours a contract with the club he stuck by thick and thin as a player for 22 years is untenable.

The board is wholly responsible for this mess, and if anyone know the full story of the treachery involved in the initial Lyon walk out knows something is very rotten in Seaford to have Rob Harvey flee as fast as he could.

This mob is an absolute rabble, has shredded the books, lost almost countless football dept staff, have mishandled the SC so badly we lose Tommy Walsh, and now lose the Saints most favourite son since Trevor Barker.

Disgraceful.

I don't know how many more pennies have to drop before some finally start to realise.

The people who currently and temporarily run this club are not THE Club, they are merely custodians... R. Harvey is woven into the fabric and dna of THE Club, he is absolutely integral to the joint... and he has been put in a position where he feels his only option is to walk out (without making his grievances public or taking a swipe in the media, as he has way too much class).

It's a f-ckn disgrace.

Buckle up I reckon... there were board rumblings when Lyon left, they will surely gain further momentum now.

This mob can go f**k themselves.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:
CJC wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
CJC wrote:Both banger and king seem like good people and have served stkilda well. They're of great character and left respectfully. All the best to them

No let the assistant rumours begin!!!
Reckon King is the bigger loss out of the 2.
Yeah, esp with gardi gone. Mcevoy definitely learnt a lot of them in his first few years at the club.
I heard barnes left the bulldogs. Anyone know if he's any food?
Yes. He is a cabbage.
King is a big loss, what about Gardi as a ruck coach?

I love this club
crippa2sipa
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

So King was rubbish because he was just a player and Harvey was rubbish because he wasn't ready.
If Harvey is so useless then why are Collingwood pursuing him? For the latest update on Ross Lyon's IP?

crippa2sipa
Club Player

markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

How's he going at freo?

Ross made that clear publicly as the reason he was going after him.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

How's he going at freo?

Off course Lyon did not have trouble getting assistants to the Saints -
I reckon they were all good appointments at the time.
Harvey and King have been poached and Berbakov is asst at the Swans again. Madness to imply they were no good, as they're all wanted elsewhere. Furthermore, I reckon Kingsley might stay on.

At the Dockers Lyon has taken Sumich from WCE and Mark Stone ex Swans. So he can attract good coaches....

The inference (wrong IMO) is that Harvey only went back as they had no one else..... :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:
SainterK wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

So King was rubbish because he was just a player and Harvey was rubbish because he wasn't ready.
If Harvey is so useless then why are Collingwood pursuing him? For the latest update on Ross Lyon's IP?
Read what I wrote a few times, and can't possibly understand how I inferred any of them were rubbish?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Buckley idolises Harvey. Hero worship I reckon.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

How's he going at freo?

Why can't I think that?

Was it a coincidence then in the last 2 years, 5 of his assistants have been friends or recently retired players?

Perhaps.

Could also be that he is a royal pain in the backside to work for or under, coaches and/or players.

Is it normal after two years to be left with 1 guy (Kingsley) out of all those appointments?

markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

How's he going at freo?

Why can't I think that?

Was it a coincidence then in the last 2 years, 5 of his assistants have been friends or recently retired players?

Perhaps.

Could also be that he is a royal pain in the backside to work for or under, coaches and/or players.

Is it normal after two years to be left with 1 guy (Kingsley) out of all those appointments?
So what's Sumich?

And even if he is a hard man to work for, there would be thousands of suitable applicants eager for the chance to be his assistant coach... you're implying he was bereft of choice and desperate, so we persuaded or settled for Harvey?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

No I'm saying Rob shouldn't of come back yet, probably would of walked into any other club, but may of got a call from Ross?

So yes to the possibility the Ross may of been desperate, no to the fact that he settled for Banger.

Sumich is in WA, whispers may not of filtered through that far....may not know what he is in for :wink:

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

It's quite possible that Watters already has ideas about who his preferred coaching team will be - so there was no effort to keep those that wanted to leave.

I don't understand where all the hysteria is coming from, assistant coaches come and go all the time.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Does it sound like the club has pushed Harvs out the door? Does it sound like Watters wanted him gone? Weird.

I can't understand why King or Harvs wouldn't have been made more than welcome. Both are class act players with an impeccable knowledge of the game. Who wouldn't want them around? I'd really like to know why they've walked. Surely it can't be "just" the board?

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:No I'm saying Rob shouldn't of come back yet, probably would of walked into any other club, but may of got a call from Ross?

So yes to the possibility the Ross may of been desperate, no to the fact that he settled for Banger.

Sumich is in WA, whispers may not of filtered through that far....may not know what he is in for :wink:
Firstly, I'd reckon Sumich would have a better idea of the inside word on what Ross is like to work for than most here.

Secondly, I'd think (as stated above) at no stage would Ross have had any trouble attracting eager applicants for assistants, especially as he was the coach of the moment and we were 'successful'.

Thirdly, I'd think the decision to hire a St Kilda living legend like Harvey would've involved the club at every stage, and surely to goodness with a long term view in mind.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:Does it sound like the club has pushed Harvs out the door? Does it sound like Watters wanted him gone? Weird.

I can't understand why King or Harvs wouldn't have been made more than welcome. Both are class act players with an impeccable knowledge of the game. Who wouldn't want them around? I'd really like to know why they've walked. Surely it can't be "just" the board?
I cannot see that he was pushed-
I say Go and Grow Harves ( and Kingy)

unlike some headlines
( name the paper)
Saints let Robert Harvey walk
this one is ok
Saints release Harvey, club legend backs Watters
Harves will be on SEN after 6 tonight.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
matrix
Saintsational Legend

well when you live 800 kms away and they ask you to vote and thommo and burke are involved then one would think they are voting in someone with an idea and some decent loyalty to the club

not everyone knows the ins and outs of the cats ass down at st kilda

next time i just wont vote
f*** it

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

There is good news and bad news here :

Good - Watters is free to select his own people - those he knows, who know his style, that he trusts, that he can work with. There can be no excuses with an open book.

Bad - the near complete "walk-out" by people at all levels, tells me that there has been something very, very wrong internally within the Club. This must change. Also, how many "gun assistants " are left out there?

With the trauma behind us now, (except for the de-lisings coming up), it looks like being a very interesting and hopefully, exciting next year.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Is it normal after two years to be left with 1 guy (Kingsley) out of all those appointments?
No it's not. Alarm bells should be ringing, given that 3 of them (or 4 if you include Misson) left after Ross left, not because of him. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. First, a club legend claims he has to leave "to gain experience" by accepting the position of assistant to a rookie coach. Then we lose a person of the highest calibre in Steven King - a coach we developed from scratch. I absolutely loved the guy.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

how many of GT's assistants hung around after he was sacked?
How many of Blight's?

Isn't it fairly normal for assistants to revaluate their options when a coach leaves..? Then take the offer that's right for them

Fact is that Watters is the new coach and that comes with it a fair amount of change and unpredictabilty... if I was Harve's or King and got a better offer... well I'd take it

Legendary
Club Player

Exactly skeptic.

Assistants nearly always leave when coaches get sacked/resign. At every club.

linmarnic
Club Player

I don't really see the problem here?

Assistant coaches are intrinsically linked to the head coach. He recruits them and forms a close relationship with them. No one expected Ross to leave and the assistant coaches contracts were drawn up for the long term.

We now have a new coach who should be provided with every opportunity to succeed. That means allowing him to choose his own assistants. To Scott's credit he did what ever he could to keep Harvey. I don't know if I would have if I was in his position even if I thought Harves was the best available. I would feel uncomfortable having in the coaches box with me an assistant who wanted my job, was publicly upset at not getting it and is a club legend. Anyway, kudos to Scott and the club for doing their best to keep Harvey and act respectfully re this matter.

From Harvey's perspective he did the right thing by the club, Scott and himself by leaving. it is a win for everyone concerned. I hope he gains the valuable experience he needs and comes back to lead us to a flag.

The other clubs realising the situation at St. Kilda have taken the opportunity to poach our assistants, no doubt with increased remuneration in their contract offers. We released them from their contracts upon their request as Scott should be given the ability and respect to choose his own people.

I commend the club for the way they have conducted themselves since Ross left in all these matters.

Never give up
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Harvs on SEN's The Run Home

Key factors - Tough couple weeks in having to weigh up his future. Good experience to go through the interview process. Coming to decision was hard.

New coach coming in wants some new talent. Place he's been at for long time. To go further in his coaching future really needed to get out of the Saints

Met Pelchan & Watters and is really comfortable with how decision was made.

Interim coach - Didnt see it as he was next in line. Saw opportunity to put hat in ring to coach Saints. Really felt he could have been coach. Knew he was inexperienced and thought he could swing the vote. No more disappointed then any of the other candidates.

Hard decision to leave the club he loves. Fielded a call from Ross when he left Carlton.

Didnt want to waste to much time, really wants to test himself and get out more. Its more about him wanting to get out.

Harvs still loves the club & wishes them all the success.

Playing group is extremely strong, Watters can have full confidence they will challenge again soon.

Big shock when Ross walked out. Werent ready for it. Players & himself have great admiration of what he has done for club.

avid
Club Player

Just listened to most of the SEN interview with Harves.
He seemed to be saying he felt he was in too much of a comfort zone at St Kilda. That he wouldn't be challenged and develop unless he went somewhere where they weren't so 'fond' of him (as Francis Leach put it), where the perceptions of him weren't so set.
It sort of makes sense to me -- as a positive reason.
I still feel there must be a little more to it, negatively, to make him move. I still can't believe there wasn't lots of opportunity for him to develop at St Kilda too, (especially when nearly all the places are gone at the other clubs).

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

How's he going at freo?

Agreed.

Disgraceful.

Sounds like youre in possession of facts that Im not Joff, but IMO TW left through lack of opportunity, not cos we couldnt match the Swans finiancial offer. Otherwise why did he want out enough to go to the draft if we couldnt deal with the Swans? ..no other Club would have offered him the money the Swans did..not even GWS I suspect. Nope he anted out for a chance to play senior footy..a chance SW is on the record as saying he would have had at St Kilda..but he walked anyway. IMO selfish of him given we'd put two years into his development

As for Harvs...maybe he genuinely thinks his coaching aspirations are better served elswhere. We dont know unless we can read minds. Do we know for a fact that he is soo dissatisfied with the Board that he left because of it?? Pure speculation but his interview tonight sure didnt cound like it.

Our board is not perfect...but the two instances above I dont think you can hang on them

IMO if course :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor