Could have been worse RE: Walsh

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You make a good point TL, I think modern footy is suited to that second tall that can ruck or something these days.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Just where was Walsh going to play next season anyway?

Seems Mac and Kosi will be rucking with Stanley the back up. They'll roll through fwd 50 as needs dictate. Other than that it seems patently obvious the direction is small and nimble so as to be effective defensively and offensively in equal measure.

Maybe it doesn't even matter whether Walsh could play or not.

Maybe an extra big lumbering relatrively one-sided bloke who can clunk a couple but who couldn't chase fat albert doesn't really have a future when a club is determined to replenish with speed and skill.

It all seems fairly obvious to me.

But then again I never really wanted to root Tom Walsh like some clearly do.
:shock:

We were sold the Irish dream and I just wanted to see it through.

Middo
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:The week started out so promisingly and then went quickly downhill from there. I had a laugh late this afternoon, though, when Pelchan, or whoever, said they were happy with how things went, although we were unhappy with the Tommy trade, as if it was just a tiny fraction of what we did for the week.
WE ONLY DID 3 THINGS! ONE OF THEM WAS TERRIBLY DISAPPOINTING!
66% positive outcomes is not a good overall result, unless mediocrity is the goal.
How did it go downhill ...? We got some young leg speed and more early draft picks and lost one player who played six games in three years and was slow and another who we all claimed to be our saviour but at the end of the day he could not get a crack at a senior game ... And he wants to go to the Swans so we trade and get picks and yet you still find the negative to have a go at the club. Lets just see how the great white hope goes with the Swans. PS Reckon he will need all his Irish luck . :wink: PSS and I think to finish the trade week we picked up a pretty good recruit in Watters !!! :wink:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Middo wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:The week started out so promisingly and then went quickly downhill from there. I had a laugh late this afternoon, though, when Pelchan, or whoever, said they were happy with how things went, although we were unhappy with the Tommy trade, as if it was just a tiny fraction of what we did for the week.
66% positive outcomes is not a good overall result, unless mediocrity is the goal.
How did it go downhill ...? We got some young leg speed and more early draft picks and lost one player who played six games in three years and was slow and another who we all claimed to be our saviour but at the end of the day he could not get a crack at a senior game ... And he wants to go to the Swans so we trade and get picks and yet you still find the negative to have a go at the club. Lets just see how the great white hope goes with the Swans. PS Reckon he will need all his Irish luck .
How did it go downhill? Well we went from getting a great deal to start with, to trading someone that we invested a first round draft pick and a few years in, who pretty much dominated games down back for Sandy this year, but then never got one chance at playing down back for St Kilda, for an ordinary pick and then ended up losing someone that the club clearly didn't want to lose, who Watters said was very much in our plans for next year, for a couple of ordinary picks in a weak draft.
You clearly don't rate Lynch (who I dare say was not any slower when we decided he was worth taking with a first round draft pick), or Tommy (I guess you know better than Pelchan, Watters, and Sydney (who have a great record of identifying underutilized talent in other clubs, like Kennedy, McGlynn, Mumford, Rhys Shaw) and that's fair enough. I hope you're right about them and that we do come out the better in these deals.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Sheesh....first Lockett,but this one is much much worse. This is the darkest day in the history of the Stkilda Football club.

Losing the greatest full forward of all time in 94 to the swines took a lot of getting over,but now this....this! The greatest player to never play a game,the greatest serviceable reserves footballer the game has ever seen,who kicked the best Joe the goose bag of 6 in reserves grade football of all time. The greatest player to not understand the rules properly of all time...he's gone,he's gone,and for only 2 draft picks......only 2 more draft picks than what we got for former B&F winning skipper Luke Ball.........:cry: :cry:

I am confused whether to take the scissors to my membership or my wrists first? Oh the humanity :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bring back the Lockett era
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:
Legendary wrote:I agree with BigMart ... Serious issues with our development structure and attitude towards young players from the end of 2005 until now ... Particularly bad in the last 12 months.

Watters said he is keen to really look at boosting our development academy side of things - any coincidence?!

Something we have to get better at is the balance between nurturing young players and keeping them interested by giving them an opportunity.

Mick did it brilliantly at the Pies for about 5 years.
+1...it is as obvious as the nose on your face......but there will always be some posters in denial....
So, who do we have a go at? Drain, Hutchison, Beveridge, Peak, Burke, Thompson, Fraser, Lyon? Apart from the two on the board, and Hutchison, the blokes responsible are gone. Maybe why they got Pelchen and Bain in. We've been rubbish for years. Clearly spent no money on resources for recruiting and development. Maybe all the money went on having a crack for a Premiership. Nearly there...but we failed.

Now we have to grow our own, and get smarter and more resourceful. Chickens are coming home to roost etc etc.

Hopefully this is Year 1 of better recruiting. Sure hope so.

daz

jonesy wrote:Sheesh....first Lockett,but this one is much much worse. This is the darkest day in the history of the Stkilda Football club.

Losing the greatest full forward of all time in 94 to the swines took a lot of getting over,but now this....this! The greatest player to never play a game,the greatest serviceable reserves footballer the game has ever seen,who kicked the best Joe the goose bag of 6 in reserves grade football of all time. The greatest player to not understand the rules properly of all time...he's gone,he's gone,and for only 2 draft picks......only 2 more draft picks than what we got for former B&F winning skipper Luke Ball.........:cry: :cry:

I am confused whether to take the scissors to my membership or my wrists first? Oh the humanity :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
GOLDEN GOLDEN GOLDEN
And the worship of the individual is still strong in us
at least back in the day the individual we falsely worshiped
were good enough to get a game

ace
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If he was happy at StK he would have stayed...he couldnt even be convinced......from all reports an absolute stand up human....

But after continual non-selection and lack of opportunity to develop....I dont blame him for walking out the door....

We gave him little, he owed us little

But please, do go on and continue to defend......you do such a good job of making excuses....
Everybody else got multiple games except him, even some first year recruits.
Archer, Cripps, Johnson, Ledger, Lynch, Simpkin, Siposs, Smith, Stanley and Winmar were played but no chance for Walsh despite being temporariy promoted off the rookie list.
He was entitled to be pissed at the club.

Lyon clearly did not want him.
Now we have lost both.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
DLBIA14

jonesy wrote:Sheesh....first Lockett,but this one is much much worse. This is the darkest day in the history of the Stkilda Football club.

Hilarious and exact the attitude some Saints fans need to take. It was naturally disappointing that he left, but pick 35 could be something good you never know.

The Swans nabbed Kennedy and McGlynn for a pick in the 30s and 70s in 2009 and got Ben Stratton int eh draft. The Hawks were sooking beforehand, but would they give away Stratton for Kennedy/McGlynn now? f*** no. Trade was a win/win.

People need to wait till next year, then reassess this trade.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Gold!

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Bigmart you are spot on.

Plugger you are just a saddist who pops on here to deliberately antagonise folk. what a waste of space.

the president westaway was a big believer in walsh to the point that he asked lyon to play him / give him a shot many times. It got to the point that teh assistants told westaway not to ask any more.

lyon facked walsh. and if lyon was still here it wouldnt have just been walsh who walked...there would have been many more

#1 Ryder fan
markp
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't Lyon the coach who oversaw his recruiting and development?

And yep, even if we'd offered more (or perhaps the same, or close even....) money as the swines he would've left.... of course. More money and a better lifestyle mean nothing to the man, he just wanted to play a couple of games for the Saints in 2011.

Never mind that Lyon is gone and we were trying to sign this guy up since mid-year, that we promoted him off the rookie list... or that SC pressure meant our hands were completely tied.

It all makes perfect sense.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

doesn't it just?! :wink: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Joffaboy.....seriously

Your an idiot.....and very inaccurate...

I like the fact you dont agree with me on many things.....because if you did....Id be a moron

and try and stick to accuracies and make some sort of sense

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Bigmart you are spot on.

Plugger you are just a saddist who pops on here to deliberately antagonise folk. what a waste of space.

the president westaway was a big believer in walsh to the point that he asked lyon to play him / give him a shot many times. It got to the point that teh assistants told westaway not to ask any more.

lyon facked walsh. and if lyon was still here it wouldnt have just been walsh who walked...there would have been many more
I am pretty sure the 2 names you mentioned who would be happy when RL left were Lynch and Walsh. Amazing stuff. Now you have this president story. Are you a fictional script writer?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Middo wrote:
How did it go downhill ...? We got some young leg speed and more early draft picks and lost one player who played six games in three years and was slow and another who we all claimed to be our saviour but at the end of the day he could not get a crack at a senior game ... And he wants to go to the Swans so we trade and get picks and yet you still find the negative to have a go at the club. Lets just see how the great white hope goes with the Swans. PS Reckon he will need all his Irish luck .
How did it go downhill? Well we went from getting a great deal to start with, to trading someone that we invested a first round draft pick and a few years in, who pretty much dominated games down back for Sandy this year, but then never got one chance at playing down back for St Kilda, for an ordinary pick and then ended up losing someone that the club clearly didn't want to lose, who Watters said was very much in our plans for next year, for a couple of ordinary picks in a weak draft.
You clearly don't rate Lynch (who I dare say was not any slower when we decided he was worth taking with a first round draft pick), or Tommy (I guess you know better than Pelchan, Watters, and Sydney (who have a great record of identifying underutilized talent in other clubs, like Kennedy, McGlynn, Mumford, Rhys Shaw) and that's fair enough. I hope you're right about them and that we do come out the better in these deals.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/St-Kilda-Mat ... 35b6042649

Just remember, it can always be worse... you could be trying to flog this on ebay!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:It seems a bit amatuer. Would never happen at Geelong.
Garbage!
It did happen at Geelong with Mumford!

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Life Long Saint wrote:
70s sainter wrote:It seems a bit amatuer. Would never happen at Geelong.
Garbage!
It did happen at Geelong with Mumford!
I love those would never happen at Geelong (or Filth for that matter) comments.

- Geelong lost Mumford because the salary cap issues meant they couldn't match Sydneys salary.
- Thompson walked out on Geelong with a year to go on his contract, but St Kilda would be the only club stupid enough to give a coach a get out clause...
- Ablett walked from Geelong for money, if the Cats could offer him what the Suns did do you think he'd have left?
- Also, what about the issues with Thompson playing the loyalty card with Ablett then dogging them anyway
- Geelong wanted Andrew Lovett bad, but pulled out because of salary cap constraints.
- Gillies wanted to leave them this year the same way Walsh did us, however Gillies was contracted.
- Laidler left them last year for better opportunities, probably more money.
- Geelong have had their fair share of off field controversies with drug trafficking, drink driving, pub fights and the likes...

But no, none of this would happen down in the cultured Geelong football club would it? :wink:

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/St-Kilda-Mat ... 35b6042649

Just remember, it can always be worse... you could be trying to flog this on ebay![/quote]

SOLD!! Just over an hour ago (not to me). Got an Hawaii for it. Wierd.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

saw walsh on the tv with kennelly , they played gaelic together , so i reckon he must have been in tommy's ear all year about coming to sydney.
So if anyone was in his position they would probably do the same.
The saints reluctance to play him was the main reason he left , so who is to blame for that ? however maybe he's a good vfl player and thats all .
That's what i'm hoping but i'm always wrong :roll:

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

deleted post

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:saw walsh on the tv with kennelly , they played gaelic together , so i reckon he must have been in tommy's ear all year about coming to sydney.
The saints reluctance to play him was the main reason he left , so who is to blame for that ? however maybe he's a good vfl player and thats all .
Playing AFL became a dream for Tommy Walsh.

Playing AFL in Irish friendly Sydney with Tadhg Kennelly as his mentor, is a wet dream.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:saw walsh on the tv with kennelly , they played gaelic together , so i reckon he must have been in tommy's ear all year about coming to sydney.
Heard Tadgh on the radio yesterday and he definitely said he had not spoken to TW at all about the move during the year - yeah ok... :roll:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
Heard Tadgh on the radio yesterday and he definitely said he had not spoken to TW at all about the move during the year - yeah ok... :roll:
To be sure, to be sure :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by Dr Spaceman on Wed 19 Oct 2011 6:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Legendary wrote:I agree with BigMart ... Serious issues with our development structure and attitude towards young players from the end of 2005 until now ... Particularly bad in the last 12 months.

Watters said he is keen to really look at boosting our development academy side of things - any coincidence?!

Something we have to get better at is the balance between nurturing young players and keeping them interested by giving them an opportunity.

Mick did it brilliantly at the Pies for about 5 years.
+1...it is as obvious as the nose on your face......but there will always be some posters in denial....
They're in denial because they believe the media, especially the BS from Roos and Wallsy and perpetrators of the myth that Lyon took over an 'ordinary list' in 2007. They forgive Lyon for his mistakes in not getting the balance right even though it was one of the most crucial reasons we failed to get over the line in GF2009 and we had a team of exhausted soldiers in the GF replay of 2010. The fact that the Freo board recruited Lyon does not make them geniuses...The fact that the Freo board recruited Lyon does not make it the recruiting coup of the century. It certainly helps those in denial......but for how long??