Why did RL overlook Walsh?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Walsh always wanted to go to Sydney to live.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Perhaps Ross Lyon knew Walsh was leaving by mid year and therefore chose not to play him.

This possibility could explain why he did not get selected!
Reportedly offered a contract mid-season and refused to deal. The interesting question is...was ross already gone at that stage too?

How many big decisions have been made by a coach that knew he was going to be elsewhere, and how many of his mates have benefited?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

I just hope he turns out to be a dud now

strange feeling after all i'd hoped for with Tommy and The Saints

what is it about Sydney and the Irish? Place is full of them

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Ace commented :
I think that he was a chance to play in the second half of the season BUT
because he refused to re-sign, the club knew he was being shopped around by his management and that he was likely to walk.
St Kilda knew they could not compete financially because of salary cap issues.
Lyon and the club were not going to waste games on him until he signed.
You want to play seniors you re-sign otherwise stay in the magoos.
If that's correct/inside info Ace, then that will put a different slant on people's views, including mine. :? I'll be interested in any comment.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Ace commented :
I think that he was a chance to play in the second half of the season BUT
because he refused to re-sign, the club knew he was being shopped around by his management and that he was likely to walk.
St Kilda knew they could not compete financially because of salary cap issues.
Lyon and the club were not going to waste games on him until he signed.
You want to play seniors you re-sign otherwise stay in the magoos.
If that's correct/inside info Ace, then that will put a different slant on people's views, including mine. :? I'll be interested in any comment.
Still not convinced. If he got a chance, and he proved to be as good as a lot of us hoped, there's ways of finding room in the cap. And if not, he becomes more valuable as a trade (to several clubs).

Whatever the reasons are the whole TW experiment was handled pretty poorly.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

He didn't deserve a game this year the way the season panned out. He wasn't ready early on and when we finally got it together it was too much of a risk, we needed to win every game.

I believe Taigh has been in his head all year and talked him into carrying on the Kerry tradition at Sydney. Personally I think he's made a big mistake.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
matrix
Saintsational Legend

why did ross lyin overlook tommy lynch for a decent crack at it??

because he's a f****** moron

just a guess

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

One of the main reasons he did not play is because the coach had no faith in him. Probably the only reason. So when sydney showed him some love he jumped at it.
Ross lyon was quite open about the fact he did not think tommy could read the oval ball well enough to play at afl level.
This became a bit moot when tommy just started catching and kicking up fwd without worrying to much about the bounce of the ball.
This is fact.

The next quetion is: is ross lyon a good judge of a young footballer? History says he has no effing idea. He persisted with eddy and mcqualter for way way too long for me to think he's much of a judge of a youngster. It does not take an einstein to pick bj joey chips dal etc week in week out.

As an aside. Remember when lyon used to always say how "we provide opportunities and its up to these young men whether they take it or not. We are all about providing opportunity."

Man he was a chronic bullsh*tter.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:A few reasons

He did take a while to develop; probably wasn't ready in 2010
Lyon made him learn the game as a defender, which meant that he was behind a long list of backmen until he finally moved forward late this year
When he did finally get a chance up forward, we had hit some form and Lyon has always refused to change a winning side
That is a fairly easy explanation. It is just a pretty average situation for our club. Then again he might turn out to be nothing of value anyway.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:One of the main reasons he did not play is because the coach had no faith in him. Probably the only reason. So when sydney showed him some love he jumped at it.
Ross lyon was quite open about the fact he did not think tommy could read the oval ball well enough to play at afl level.
This became a bit moot when tommy just started catching and kicking up fwd without worrying to much about the bounce of the ball.
This is fact.

The next quetion is: is ross lyon a good judge of a young footballer? History says he has no effing idea. He persisted with eddy and mcqualter for way way too long for me to think he's much of a judge of a youngster. It does not take an einstein to pick bj joey chips dal etc week in week out.

As an aside. Remember when lyon used to always say how "we provide opportunities and its up to these young men whether they take it or not. We are all about providing opportunity."

Man he was a chronic bullsh*tter.
Whilst I agree with your sentiment you are overlooking the fact that we debuted 10 new players this year and a few look real gems.

Also it is extremely rare for a new player to play a full season due to the problems of younger bodies and injuries. Whilst it happens it is rare that any club gets a full year out of a youngen.

McQ was seen as a leader in and around the club. On and off the field. He was a pretty shizenhousen player most of the time however his situation could have been similar to Nick Maxwell. A pretty bloody ordinary footballer however quite the leader and held in high regard by bother the playing and coaching group.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:He didn't deserve a game this year the way the season panned out. He wasn't ready early on and when we finally got it together it was too much of a risk, we needed to win every game.

I believe Taigh has been in his head all year and talked him into carrying on the Kerry tradition at Sydney. Personally I think he's made a big mistake.
This is exactly right. RL played the young guys early. Walsh wasnt ready then or even if he was he was playing back and that wasnt our problem and as BS points out when Walsh was maybe ready the side was pretty stable and you dont just drop someone late, when winning to look at others especially as we couldnt afford to lose like the top sides. Also I still completely doubt one or two games would have made the difference to him staying or going with the money being offerred.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

He was described as the Wayne Carey of gaelic football. Somehow I doubt he's going to be a dud.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:He didn't deserve a game this year the way the season panned out. He wasn't ready early on and when we finally got it together it was too much of a risk, we needed to win every game.

This is exactly right. RL played the young guys early. Walsh wasnt ready then or even if he was he was playing back and that wasnt our problem and as BS points out when Walsh was maybe ready the side was pretty stable and you dont just drop someone late, when winning to look at others especially as we couldnt afford to lose like the top sides. Also I still completely doubt one or two games would have made the difference to him staying or going with the money being offerred.

Seeing as though the Ball scenario comparisons are being made.

LB played 143 games. Didn't stop him going.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Perhaps Ross Lyon knew Walsh was leaving by mid year and therefore chose not to play him.

This possibility could explain why he did not get selected!
well Francis Leach thinks thats what happened.

He thought that Lyon, played the kids early on, then when he decided to leave mid way through the year, decided to go back and play the tired playersto get them into the final and make his credentials look better. According Pelchin (who was on last night on SEN after 6pm) he said that next year will be differentregarding developing players and will be noticable the difference. their training and development of kids will increase by about 300%.

Francis asked him where the money will come from and chris stated that it will come from the AFL increase to clubs.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Walsh's manager said he was frustrated at not getting a game.

Did this help us to retain him? You would have to say no.

Definitely room for Walsh in the team second half of the season - but Lyon too rigid and bloody predictable.

He only played the young guys in 2011 when he absolutely had to lets face it.

And even when he did it was not sustained for whatever reason.

How many of those young guys were playing toward season end?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Walsh's manager said he was frustrated at not getting a game.

Definitely room for Walsh in the team second half of the season - but Lyon too rigid and bloody predictable.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
chook23
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:Walsh's manager said he was frustrated at not getting a game.

Agree walsh should have got games 2nd half of season.....but

most of others were injured

saint4life
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Maybe if he played say 5 games... We'd have known whether it was worth matching sydneys offer at the expense of say cahill or johnson. Instead we,made the decision not 2 match it w/o any idea

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

A good point raised by an earlier poster to this thread.. We all believe now that Sydney were into his ear mid year, but how early were Fremantle into RL's ear, and when did RL start to lose interest in the Saints?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Maybe if he played say 5 games... We'd have known whether it was worth matching sydneys offer at the expense of say cahill or johnson. Instead we,made the decision not 2 match it w/o any idea
There is a Catch 22 here...if he played and flopped...then we would not have been offered the picks were were.

If he had shown good promise...then who knows....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

The potato eating spud left for money, pure and simple. Coupled with Kennelly getting into his ear and brainwashing the simpleton, he's gone. I'm over it! Good riddance if he wanted to go. He's just a Swine like the rest of them now.

The most important thing from our perspective is to use the draft picks astutely. We acquired Joel Smith from the Plugger trade and Nicky Dal from the BBBH trade. Hopefully our recruiting team can produce the goods in the draft!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
skeptic wrote:Maybe if he played say 5 games... We'd have known whether it was worth matching sydneys offer at the expense of say cahill or johnson. Instead we,made the decision not 2 match it w/o any idea
There is a Catch 22 here...if he played and flopped...then we would not have been offered the picks were were.

If he had shown good promise...then who knows....
interesting point

we'd be less upset at losing him though... though now I guess we're in a better position

one could still argue that the offer may have been worth matching

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:why did ross lyin overlook tommy lynch for a decent crack at it??

just a guess
No need to say anymore

Another opportunity awaits!
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
matrix wrote:why did ross lyin overlook tommy lynch for a decent crack at it??

just a guess
No need to say anymore
+1

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:He was described as the Wayne Carey of gaelic football. Somehow I doubt he's going to be a dud.
Do you reckon Wayne Carey would have been any good as a Gaelic footballer?

Another opportunity awaits!