Setanta O’hAilpin delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I predict that Walsh will not be as good but then again I am usually very crap when it comes to predictions.

Maybe Sh!tney are interested in him since they love Irish people so much...morons.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

If no-one else took him and we were able to get him for the minimum wage I would have no problem at all if we took him. I mean what if Rhys doesn't come on and Kosi goes down with another injury? Who the hell comes in to replace him now that Tommy has gone?
At least Setanta kicks goals (especially against us) and is also 199cm, or whatever, so can pinch hit in the ruck. He's far, far from perfect, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't add to our list if we're still going for a premiership, as all evidence suggests we are.
At Carlton he was often used as the main target up forward, getting the best opponent, but here he would have the luxury of the 2nd or third best, as Roo and or Kosi would likely attract the best ones.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 18 Oct 2011 5:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

He may be worth a look "if Dawson goes." He is a known quantity and has bulk and experience for fullback. Who else do we have - Blake ??

Don't think that any of the younger Saints would be able to step in for the "year." Setanta just may be worrth having on the list for a year, while we blood others.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Precisely. If he came cheaply enough.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Carlton are a good side ready to take the next step , so if their getting rid of him why would we want to pick him up ?

Saints94
SS Life Member

If the draft is as shallow as its meant to be then a late rookie selection should not be discounted.....

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Wayde Twomey managed to crack a couple of games in Carlton's deep midfield. Mature-age rookie?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Isnt this the type of player people seem to now have a go at RL about. If we listened to some here we would be a side of delisted players. Time to develop our own. I am sure at some stage we may be able to use him just as we did with Gamble, Polo, Gardiner, Clarke and so on.
Last edited by plugger66 on Tue 18 Oct 2011 5:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

mr six o'clock wrote:Carlton are a good side ready to take the next step , so if their getting rid of him why would we want to pick him up ?
Are you implying that no-one in the history of the AFL/VFL, who has been let go by a "good" side, has gone on to play a valuable role at another club, or that none will in the future?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Isnt this the type of player people seem to now have a go at RL about. If we listened to some here we would be a side of delisted players. Time to develop our own. I am sure at some stage we may be able to sue him just as we did with Gamble, Polo, Gardiner, Clarke and so on.
So you don't think it's wise to have someone experienced and strong and mature as back-up in a side that is supposedly trying to contend for a premiership?
I'm all for developing the likes of Rhys, but what if what happened to Hawthorn this year (with so many of their "talls" going down) happened to us next year and we were in flag contention? Do you think it's wise to have an in-experienced, "developing tall" in a finals team, when the whips are cracking? It's proved hard enough for Roo and Kosi to take marks in the biggest finals.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

IMO if he nominates for the draft, is still there when it get's down to one of our last picks, and he can comfortably fit in our salary cap, I haven't a problem.
Personally think he is a much better prospect than recruiting Fev on any salary.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
GoTheTorp
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:IMO if he nominates for the draft, is still there when it get's down to one of our last picks, and he can comfortably fit in our salary cap, I haven't a problem.
Personally think he is a much better prospect than recruiting Fev on any salary.
Would rather recruit The Fev

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Isnt this the type of player people seem to now have a go at RL about. If we listened to some here we would be a side of delisted players. Time to develop our own. I am sure at some stage we may be able to sue him just as we did with Gamble, Polo, Gardiner, Clarke and so on.
So you don't think it's wise to have someone experienced and strong and mature as back-up in a side that is supposedly trying to contend for a premiership?
I'm all for developing the likes of Rhys, but what if what happened to Hawthorn this year (with so many of their "talls" going down) happened to us next year and we were in flag contention? Do you think it's wise to have an in-experienced, "developing tall" in a finals team, when the whips are cracking? It's proved hard enough for Roo and Kosi to take marks in the biggest finals.
So you were obviously happy with the recruitment of Matthew Clarke, Pattison, Charlie Gardiner, Gamble and so one. What happens if a couple of mids go down? We better get a delisted mid as well afterall mids are now the most important position on the ground. i hope you arent a person who complained about all the GOPS RL recruited because you now what to do the same just incase.
Last edited by plugger66 on Tue 18 Oct 2011 5:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveStevens66
Club Player

Simmo2 wrote:
In the future, if people are going to disagree- why can't they give a well thought out and reasoned response that actually adds something to the great debates that could actually be had on this site?
I can see that you are failing to embrace the Saintsational ethos. :wink:

Carna Saints!!!
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Fev 1 year at best, good long term prospect, yeah right, O'Halpin 2-3 year opportunity.
Fev, his airfare for his excess baggage would be 3 times the price of his ticket.
Wouldn't touch Fev very little upside in geting a 1 season player.
with the potential issues he has.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
So you were obviously happy with the recruitment of Matthew Clarke, Pattison, Charlie Gardiner, Gamble and so one. What happens if a couple of mids go down? We better get a delisted mid as well afterall mids are now the most important position on the ground. i hope you arent a person who complained about all the GOPS RL recruited because you now what to do the same just incase.
Avoiding the question again, as per usual, I see. It is an answer in itself, though, of course.
And you need not stress, because I wasn't one of those you spoke about at all. I had no real problem with them (or Polo, Steven King) being picked up with pick 90-odd. A position where it was unlikely that we'd get anyone under 20 of any great quality. If we were unable to identify someone from another club that would be of good value to us, with pick 90-odd, I don't have high hopes that we would have been able to pluck someone from an obscure league, or whatever, with those picks.
As for your question, if we are serious about aiming for a flag again, I wouldn't have any great problem with getting someone strong and mature as midfield back-up, for the same reasons I outlined for getting Setanta, if we are as lacking in running back-ups as we are for "talls" back-ups. But I don't believe we are. When doing our possible side for 2012 recently, I remember having a few "mids" that I wasn't able to find a position for, so I think we have decent depth there (if we manage to re-sign them all), especially now that we've gotten two relatively "ready-made's" in Saad and Milera and with Ledger and Cripps having another pre-season under them and being a year older.
As I've said, though, I don't see much tall depth there, if say Roo and Kosi went down, on the eve of the finals.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

For a reason....

Here's a thought

Dont touch delisted hacks to take games off kids....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Avoiding the question again, as per usual, I see. It is an answer in itself, though, of course.
And you need not stress, because I wasn't one of those you spoke about at all. I had no real problem with them (or Polo, Steven King) being picked up with pick 90-odd. A position where it was unlikely that we'd get anyone under 20 of any great quality. If we were unable to identify someone from another club that would be of good value to us, with pick 90-odd, I don't have high hopes that we would have been able to pluck someone from an obscure league, or whatever, with those picks.
As for your question, if we are serious about aiming for a flag again, I wouldn't have any great problem with getting someone strong and mature as midfield back-up, for the same reasons I outlined for getting Setanta, if we are as lacking in running back-ups as we are for "talls" back-ups. But I don't believe we are. When doing our possible side for 2012 recently, I remember having a few "mids" that I wasn't able to find a position for, so I think we have decent depth there (if we manage to re-sign them all), especially now that we've gotten two relatively "ready-made's" in Saad and Milera. As I've said, though, I don't see much tall depth there if say Roo and Kosi went down on the eve of the finals.
Then whats happens is you have these experienced players on your list and the club is going ok so you play them ahead of the kids because it is less risk. The kids again dont get a game but we win enough to justify playing the GOPS but as the season comes to end we fall short again. And the kids are again a year behind in their development.

Or you can go the other way. Take a risk you dont get many injuries but when you do you play the younger player so gets experience. We still go ok because of our star players but will probably fall short but we at least got games into these guys.

St Igmata
Club Player

BigMart wrote:For a reason....

Here's a thought

Dont touch delisted hacks to take games off kids....

like who?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

His skills are woeful but he's tall.

Would give us something to laugh about if we drafted him!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I dont know....

Stanley, Siposs, Cahill, Johson, Archer.....Walsh, Lynch (oops)

I know we havent seen much of them....but the doe exist

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

will go to a lower team for 250k plus.

v good player good team man.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

plugger66 wrote:
Then whats happens is you have these experienced players on your list and the club is going ok so you play them ahead of the kids because it is less risk. The kids again dont get a game but we win enough to justify playing the GOPS but as the season comes to end we fall short again. And the kids are again a year behind in their development.

Or you can go the other way. Take a risk you dont get many injuries but when you do you play the younger player so gets experience. We still go ok because of our star players but will probably fall short but we at least got games into these guys.
plugger the big difference you are missing
RL had this four year apprenticeship thing and didnt promote on merit
SW has stated on record this will change
oh and YES Setanta has played defence

Seeya
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Oh YEAH!!!! a good young(28 for god's sake :roll: ) prospect with a calm and quiet professional temperament? :roll: .......come on pass it round! I'd like a hit!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

plugger the big difference you are missing
RL had this four year apprenticeship thing and didnt promote on merit
SW has stated on record this will change
oh and YES Setanta has played defence
But if experienced players are on your list it is natural to play them ahead of the young guys unless you are rebuilding. Better to not have these GOPS on the list so you arent given the option. Why do you want him anyway? We have back up.