Walsh Gone

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

saint4life
chook23
Saintsational Legend

saint4life
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:I'm more pissed we hung onto Gram.
hahaha... yeah, i'm a little bemused at how we can't let go of that guy after two pretty average seasons.

anyway, walsh is gone. who knows what sort of player he'll turn out to be? we can only hope he doesn't end up haunting us by becoming a star.

let's move on.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Sums it up pretty well
Last edited by fingers on Mon 17 Oct 2011 3:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I think as supporters we are entitled to see upcoming players given a decent show.
Lynch playing down back (shining) in VFL then limited games up front - smells a bit to me.
There were a number of games last year should have played Walsh.
Smith, Simpkin, Archer, Winmar, Johnson - messed with their heads a bit.
The more I think of it the more I think Lyon is a nutcase.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Just because Walsh hasn't played a senior match, doesn't mean he is not valuable.

How many guys will be drafted in the ND this year who have never played a senior match? I'm going on his size, athleticism, how he has performed in the VFL, ability to play tall KP and potential.

And I (and many other Saints supporters) value him at more than any mid-tier DP.

Stand your ground :shock:
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:Just because Walsh hasn't played a senior match, doesn't mean he is not valuable.

How many guys will be drafted in the ND this year who have never played a senior match? I'm going on his size, athleticism, how he has performed in the VFL, ability to play tall KP and potential.

And I (and many other Saints supporters) value him at more than any mid-tier DP.
So did the club.

However he didn't value being at St Kilda.

So we move on Unit.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Walsh deserved an equal chance (in fact better than an equal chance as he played some good VFL games and had a football ready body) - but got treated poorly by our club.

Let's not blame the guy.. we should be saddened by the way he was treated and wish him all the best now.

With Pick 35 we might make it a good pick - who knows ?

supersaints
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
supersaints wrote:I am sick of Sydney parasites they are. Go grow your own players you buttholes
Dawson, Peake, Schneider, Demspter, Gram, Ray, Polo, Gardiner, Gamble ...Ummmmm...
So which ones of the above were untried rookies? 

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
older saint
SS Life Member

Sounds like not playing and money were the key components to this. Money I can understand however it also sounds a little like the boy who cried wolf, Stkilda, or RL, promotes you last year, names you emergency a few times, but never plays you.
Like Charlie Brown kicking the footy he has hope until Lucy pulls it away from him.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

So is Saintsational still sponsoring Tommy? :lol:

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:Just because Walsh hasn't played a senior match, doesn't mean he is not valuable.

So did the club.

However he didn't value being at St Kilda.

So we move on Unit.
Yes I know to move on, no choice really - Don't really feel like waiting 2-3 years to develop a KP DP and find out if he is any good....

Guess as this is a Saints forum, I was just discussing it like many others K.

Stand your ground :shock:
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Swines have offered him more money and virtually guaranteed him a future in actually playing at AFL level. Can't say I blame him for going.

It's a shame because we are the club who has been the one to foster and develop him as a player.

Whether or not he turns out to be a top notch player remains to be seen.

Who knows? The Swines may have just paid an inflated price for an Elmer Fudd.
Last edited by Sainternist on Mon 17 Oct 2011 3:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

hayes66 wrote:Still cant agree with you, 2006 was worse than any year. Armitage at pick 9, brad howard 27, jarryd allen 59, mathew ferguson 74 and thats it. and in 2004 our first 3 picks got us mcqualter, ackland and mcgough. Peakes first year in 07 got us McEvoy and your avatar image jack steven the other years we still have to wait on in time. Definitely not the worst years weve had in the last decade.
Now you're splitting hairs. I said two of the worst.

At least 2004-06 has given us players that are odds on to play 150+ games in Gwilt, Gilbert and Armitage.

The most likely candidates for 2008-09 would be Stanley and Winmar? And both are still highly speculative at best.

I was under the impression that Bevo was Recruiting Manager in 2007 but having checked my facts I stand corrected.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:I think as supporters we are entitled to see upcoming players given a decent show.
Lynch playing down back (shining) in VFL then limited games up front - smells a bit to me.
There were a number of games last year should have played Walsh.
Smith, Simpkin, Archer, Winmar, Johnson - messed with their heads a bit.
The more I think of it the more I think Lyon is a nutcase.
read between the lines here - and there is an acknowledgment from the new coach that Lyon was not forthcoming with opportunties for younger players. The price of that is two 21 year old KPP's have walked.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 6168026366

"I think where football is right now, certainly you want to contend, but at the same time you need to rebuild," Watters said. "It's a constant process and one doesn't mutually exclude the other. We've got some really talented kids on our list, who will need to earn the opportunity to play, but you've got opportunities that are going to be there.

hayes66
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:
hayes66 wrote:Still cant agree with you, 2006 was worse than any year. Armitage at pick 9, brad howard 27, jarryd allen 59, mathew ferguson 74 and thats it. and in 2004 our first 3 picks got us mcqualter, ackland and mcgough. Peakes first year in 07 got us McEvoy and your avatar image jack steven the other years we still have to wait on in time. Definitely not the worst years weve had in the last decade.
Now you're splitting hairs. I said two of the worst.

At least 2004-06 has given us players that are odds on to play 150+ games in Gwilt, Gilbert and Armitage.

The most likely candidates for 2008-09 would be Stanley and Winmar? And both are still highly speculative at best.

I was under the impression that Bevo was Recruiting Manager in 2007 but having checked my facts I stand corrected.
yeah your right, but we cant judge on these guys until the future and the reason why 09 may have been weak was because we lost our first pick for lovett which your arguing is peakes fault when it wouldnt have been his decision and he may have picked up another good kid with that pick which may have been a 150+ game player. So your saying its a bad recruiting year when we didnt have our first pick in the draft then also blaming him for the loss of that first pick which then compromised the draft for him. We plucked one player each year from 2002 onwards which i dont think is good enough, so you can say im splitting hairs as you said its "two of the worst" but i think thats an unfair statement against peake when the "of" part of your statement may have been the whole decade.

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Munga wrote:Posting this again because I'm' royally pissed:

Sorry but there's no excuse for Tommy. We have a new coach and clearly new opportunities.
He's either gone for the money, or cracked the s***s and is having a sook. Poor form Tommy. Thanks for wasting our time.
get real. Lyon refused to play him - I dont know why he didnt get a game last year.

And Lyon was also publicly telling people that Tommy "couldnt handle the oval shaped ball".

If I didnt know better id say Lyon set him up for the swans. Lyon is a double agent and his heart beats true for the bloods of 2005. A real carnt. Im furious.
Matybe Tommy wanted the coin, but I can't help but feel that Lyin hepled engender this outcome. I'm ropeable!

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Players, coaches, staff, and management all come and go, but there is one thing that always stays the same at a football club....and that is it's supporters.

This is all i have to say :D

Sainter for life.
Hammer
Club Player

Ross the Toss bag list destroyer!

Your legacy lives on and I hope Freo are having a good look at their future!

Bring back the Hammer!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
StGoddard18 wrote:This is all Lyons fault!
lol - Lyon is gone, how is it his fault?

Do you think playing one or two seniors games would have kept him at the club considering he was offered so much more from Sydney?

Time to get a grip and wake up that these things occur in trade week :roll:

I actually think Lyon with his sour grapes has been in contact with the folks at Sydney. As much as he didn't play him, he did rate him highly. A nice little final swipe at the old workplace.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

SainterK wrote:
So we move on Unit.
Isnt that the crux of the angst
the club is the one that is staying put
players are the ones moving on
one a GF medallist
another who has been payed handsomely for a rookie over the years, developed, developed and developed within an inch of selection -
then nothing

RL was never the messiah

Seeya
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:The Swines have offered him more money and virtually guaranteed him a future in actually playing at AFL level. Can't say I blame him for going.

It's a shame because we are the club who has been the one to foster and develop him as a player.

Whether or not he turns out to be a top notch player remains to be seen.

Who knows? The Swines may have just paid an inflated price for an Elmer Fudd.
Hope he's the new setanta and we get the next jack steven and sam fisher with those picks.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I highly doubt Lyon set-up Walsh to go to Sydney, talk about conspiracy theory. Apparently the Swans have been chasing Walsh since half way through the year, plus if Lyon rated him so highly, why didn't he try to get him over to Freo?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Walsh deserved an equal chance (in fact better than an equal chance as he played some good VFL games and had a football ready body) - but got treated poorly by our club.

Let's not blame the guy.. we should be saddened by the way he was treated and wish him all the best now.

With Pick 35 we might make it a good pick - who knows ?
bulls***, he was only 2 years into his learning of the game. If he is any further ahead than Mike Pyke I'll believe it when I see it. If he walked good riddence, Will J will have to be a forward instead.

Maybe it was the whole Ricky Nixon- who orchestrated the move apparently to Oz, stuff that got him moving.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

millarsaint wrote:The more I think of it the more I think Lyon is a nutcase.
I agree. Lyin would have been aware of the enormous fan pressure to play Walsh, just as he was ware of the enormous fan sentiment to play Hudghton in the '09 finals and give Maguire his 100th game. Just as he was ware of the enormous fan and administration pressure to blood some youngsters.

But, owing to some serious character insecurities, he needed to make a statement -- to himself -- by resisting all pressure.