What free agency really means....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Richter
SS Life Member

What free agency really means....

From http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
3. A player has served eight or more seasons of AFL football at one club, is one of the 10 highest-paid players at his club, and is now out of contract for the first time since reaching eight seasons of service.

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.

If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.

His club has the right to match the presented offer.

If the club matches the offer, he may choose to remain with his original club, seek a trade or enter the Draft.

If the club does not or can not match the offer, the player can move to the new club of his choice.

His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula to apply where clubs lose more free agents than they gain in any single transfer period.

4. A player has served eight or more seasons of AFL football at one club, is NOT one of the 10 highest-paid players at his club, and is now out of contract for the first time since reaching eight seasons of service.

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.

If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.

His club does NOT have the right to match the presented offer, and the player can move AUTOMATICALLY to the new club of his choice.

His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula.

5. A player has served ten or more seasons of AFL football at one club, has already come out of contract once in the period after serving his first eight or more seasons at his club, and is now out of contract.

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival clubs.

His club does NOT have the right to match the presented offer, and the player can move AUTOMATICALLY to the new club of his choice.

His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula.
What this means is that even if a player has played 10 seasons (like BJ will have done by the end of 2012) that is not enough to ensure the player can become an unrestricted free agent. He must also have been out of contract once AFTER having played 8 seasons. Hence, because BJ was signed up to an extended contract in 2009, at the end of his 7th season, St Kilda will be able to match the offer of ANY club that wants to poach him, EVEN THOUGH he will have played 10 seasons.

I use BJ as an example, but the same is true for any of our guns. Obviously I hope that we keep them all because they choose to stay. And if any want to go, then I would not stand in their way, but I would want our club to get the best possible deal. So, in the example of BJ, then our bargaining position is good, because we would have the power to match any bid from another club. In reality I don't think that we would use this power, as it would be silly to spend a fortune on a player who would not want to stay, but the point is that it would force a club to trade equitably with us - they would not be able to bully us by simply waiting for the player to walk via the free agency rule.

What about the other guns.....

Lenny, signed to end 2012; can't believe that he would go
Roo, signed to end 2013; will be 31 at the end of this contract
NDS, signed to end 2013; will be 30 by end of this contract
Joey, signed to end 2012; contract extension at end 2009 (8th season) = is VULNERABLE
Sam Fisher, signed to end 2012, club able to match any offer

The points are.....

1/ The priority for 2012 is to re-sign Joey first, then BJ, as he is more vulnerable.

2/ We MUST have enough $$ available to defend any losses to free agency (Sam Fish, BJ) - luckily for us in 2013, the vet rules change such that we will be able to place $600-800k OUTSIDE the salary cap. The only other club in this boat is the Cats. (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/v ... 1ll89.html)

3/ It is important to aim to tie your gun players to a 3 year contract from the end of their 7th year with the club, to ensure maximum leverage come the end of that contract should they wish to leave.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Thanks, Richter.

Jake Niall's article on the changes to the veteran's rule at the end of next year holds as much interest for us, as it does for Geelong.

Based on the rule altering the eligibility to just 10 years completed service (without the need to be 30 or older during the season) at the start of 2013, the following players would be eligible (2003 start, or earlier);
Dal (2002)
BJ (2003)
Lenny (1999)
Kosi (2001)
Roo (2001)
Milne (2001)
Monty (2002)
(I've assumed Blakey has tossed it in by 2013)

If they all were still playing, that list would mean $700K of their salaries could be outside the cap ($100K per eligible player).

The one thing Niall's article doesn't cover is the "one club" proviso on the 10 years completed service. As I understand it (but not 100% sure), the current rule has that proviso, which is why Milne couldn't be included this year. If that proviso stays under the new rule, Milne would come off the list of 7 for 2013

So, that looks O.K. But, I reckon we would have been been better off if the old rule had stayed. That's because Roo would have been eligible under the old rule. He's not eligible next year because he doesn't turn 30 "during the season" (he misses by a couple of weeks). Assuming he and Lenny were still playing in 2013, the 50% discount of their salaries in the cap would probably amount to a bit more (but not much) than the $700K we could discount under the new rule.

But, we will get a bit of relief in 2013 compared to where we were this year, and where we'll be next year.

Next year, it seems to me Kosi could go onto the veteran's list as he has had 10 years of completed service and turns 30 in September, thereby satisfying the "during the season" bit that Roo misses due to his mid-Oct birthday. Feels a bit odd to find myself wishing Roo had been a prem.

Not sure what we did with the veterans' list this year. Hayes and Baker, maybe?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

The OtherThommo wrote:The one thing Niall's article doesn't cover is the "one club" proviso on the 10 years completed service. As I understand it (but not 100% sure), the current rule has that proviso, which is why Milne couldn't be included this year. If that proviso stays under the new rule, Milne would come off the list of 7 for 2013
Under which criterion is Milne ineligible?

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
saintnick12
Club Player

Thanks for posting the free agency and veterans rules guys. Its good to see that the veterans rule may help us going forward. Free agency is going to be a challenge for all clubs. Thanks for posting the rules so that we can see it is not as simple as they can just walk away which is what I had thought. I knew the club had last right of reply in certain circumstances but didn't realise the exact rules. Very interesting.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

He started on Essendon's list before coming to us as a rookie (from memory), so misses the "one club" proviso. As I mentioned, I'm not fully across the rule, but I think the one club thingy applies. I reckon that's why Milne's name hasn't come up before as being an option for us to include on the veterans' list. If the one club proviso wasn't there, I think he would have been eligible last year.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

The OtherThommo wrote:He started on Essendon's list before coming to us as a rookie (from memory), so misses the "one club" proviso. As I mentioned, I'm not fully across the rule, but I think the one club thingy applies. I reckon that's why Milne's name hasn't come up before as being an option for us to include on the veterans' list. If the one club proviso wasn't there, I think he would have been eligible last year.
My understanding is that it doesn't matter where he started, as long as he has served 10 years at the club that he would be placed on the veterans list of.

eg a player who has played 12 years at 4 different clubs would not be eligible to be classed as a veteran. However a player who serves 1 year at a club and then the next 11 at another would be eligible at the club he plays 11 at.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.