Harvey to Collingwood - Is it Possible?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Maybe he wants to exit himself out, rather than exit himself in.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

mullet wrote:
supersaints wrote:Methinks he should take up the full time Sandy job, he will coch in his own right and will be developing the younger players. IMO it will fast track his coaching carrear and keep him at the club
Sounds like a great idea, I hope they do this.
+1

:D

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hey bob! I'm not sure if you were there (I know that I wasn't) at the interviews for the position. But given that the panel WERE present I'll trust their judgement on how the candidates presented their case for being given the job, and their decision on WHo that should be.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
bob__71
Club Player

I wasnt there Mr Jig. But I am allowed to be pissed at the fact that a club legend now feels he may need to leave to further his career.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Maybe he is just keeping his options open if the new coach brings his own team and Rob just ends up with a 'token' job.

Legendary
Club Player

He's obviously had open and honest discussions with the Saints ... you can understand why he is disappointed.

However IMO he needs to do 3 things before he is ready to coach at AFL level:
- Coach in his own right, whether it be the VFL or lower level
- Spend time at a 3rd AFL club in an assistant role for at least 3-4 years
- Be involved with a premiership whilst an assistant coach at AFL level

Hinkley and Watters have basically covered these bases, as had Ross Lyon. Very important IMO.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Agree with the Sandy job for Harves,would be a good apprenticeship for a coach looking to gain experience.Then if opp arises 3-4 years down the track,who knows.He would still be in the clubs system.Havent heard anyone say he definately can not become a senior coach at some stage

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Whatever the case it is, it's just another sad episode. There are no good news stories down at Seaford at the moment,none

The club is seriously at the crossroads right now,it has been an absolutley disgraceful year. They will want to step up and turn things around quick smart for the supporters

Bring back the Lockett era
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

meher baba wrote:Why couldn't Harves have been given a second round interview? Even if they didn't think he was quite good enough? It would have been, what, 1-2 extra hours of interviewing to avoid this sort of stuff.

This sort of decision is management 101.

Nettlefold must be a total dud.
Oh dear, so just play Banger for a fool? :shock:

Maklom
Club Player

He is obviously very loyal and would naturally take it hard getting rejected (I even get upset when I don't get a job I never really wanted!) as that is the initial feeling that one has at this point...rejection.

However I think he has it in his head that he wants to coach and probably has a dream to coach the Saints one day. Considering he is and extremely dedicated, committed and disciplined individual he will now go balls out to acheive his dream one way or another.

If he leaves St Kilda it will only be temporary and he will be back...as our coach...one day.

Legendary
Club Player

He's not the sort of bloke to throw a tantrum.

I actually disagree with meher baba -- if Harvey's not yet ready and doesn't have the same strengths and resume as the other candidates, he should be told and be told why.

No point fudging the truth and making everyone feel warm and fuzzy.

This gives him an opportunity to go and work on the things that he needs to over the next 4-5 years ... coaching in his own right, spending time at another AFL club etc.

At that point he would be in a stronger position to coach in his own right and would be right in contention for the next time we need a senior coach.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:He's not the sort of bloke to throw a tantrum.

I actually disagree with meher baba -- if Harvey's not yet ready and doesn't have the same strengths and resume as the other candidates, he should be told and be told why.

No point fudging the truth and making everyone feel warm and fuzzy.

This gives him an opportunity to go and work on the things that he needs to over the next 4-5 years ... coaching in his own right, spending time at another AFL club etc.

At that point he would be in a stronger position to coach in his own right and would be right in contention for the next time we need a senior coach.
So, because he's a legend, we give him a second interview along with Watters, Hinkley & Richardson.

Then some time next week, the club appoints one of Watters, Hinkley or Richardson as the new senior coach of the St Kilda Football Club.
How does that make it better for anyone?

And does that "process" ensure Harvey remains happy and at Seaford?

markp
Saintsational Legend

Question... How many shyte sandwiches served by the club will supporters gleefully force down (while pretending it's roast beef) before they start to refuse to eat any more?

If you hire Harvey (how many greater Saints are there?) and make him interim coach (a mistake?), if it's what he seeks then you need to lay a path for him that will give him every chance to be our senior coach one day... if this means the promise of international coaching camps (or whatever Buckley was sent on) and the like, then you spend the money and do it.... not just end it all with Netters and that grinning f**k Brad Johnson saying 'sorry mate, you know how it is....'

They cant let him walk!!!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

agreed
and well put
a pathway needs to be laid for him if he wants to stay with us for a long period of time like his playing days

knowing us
we'll let him go
somehow
we'll balls it up

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Coming from a couple of years at Carlton, was always going to be a big jump for Harves to get the job. He applied and didn't make the cut - the Coaching Panel doing its job to get us the best posssible person. Harves now has two choices a) stay on as the Club wants him to do, or b) move on for more coaching experience.

Supersaint suggested :
Methinks he should take up the full time Sandy job, he will coch in his own right and will be developing the younger players. IMO it will fast track his coaching carrear and keep him at the club
Supersaint's suggestion has some merit, although it has previously been stated by the Saints (press article) that the person appointed for the Sandy role would be at the discretion of the new Coach.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Is it possible? YES
Will it happen? Not likely

Sainter for life.
bob__71
Club Player

My advice to Harves would be to take the Collingwood offer. They seem to have a bit more respect for senior personel.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

philtee wrote:Caro is the woman who missed the Lyon defection by the width of the Nullarbor,
Didn't we all?

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
philtee wrote:Caro is the woman who missed the Lyon defection by the width of the Nullarbor,
Didn't we all?
I certainly did. I thought he was off to Melbourne.

Everyone, including Ross's wife I believe, was caught unawares.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Do we want the best coach available, or the best club legend available?

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I've been critical of St Kilda for a few reasons lately, but if Rob caught the coaching bug, club is hardly to be blamed.

I don't buy into creating a token job for him.

I don't see how he is any less St Kilda by continuing his apprenticeship.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I've been critical of St Kilda for a few reasons lately, but if Rob caught the coaching bug, club is hardly to be blamed.

It's the way it is handled is the key. There are ways to handle the exit of a club person, and then there are WAYS.

St Kilda has a history of going down the WAYS route.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Linton Street Saint wrote:What the hell are you guys smoking ? .... Media beat up if ever I saw one. I would hazard a guess that all of you have watched Harvey's career start to finish. Do you for one second think he is the type of bloke who needs his ego stroked ? .... Shame on you all

Best thing to do would be completely up front and honest with him. If he decides it's better for his development elsewhere then all the best to him. He won't stop being a club legend, he always will be.

That is all ......
If anything even slightly negative is written about our club it is a media beat up. Over the last couple of years I would suggest there has been plenty for the media to beat up. I reckon it is about time people dont shoot the messenger and look at what is happening to our club. From the outside it doesnt look great and I reckon even the players must be wondering what the hell is going on.
surely you're taking the piss?? If harvey isnt the right bloke for the job, then why go through to the second round of interviews??? The club are taking the absolute right approach. No favours to anyone, even club champions.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
SainterK wrote:I've been critical of St Kilda for a few reasons lately, but if Rob caught the coaching bug, club is hardly to be blamed.

It's the way it is handled is the key. There are ways to handle the exit of a club person, and then there are WAYS.

St Kilda has a history of going down the WAYS route.
Sorry SEN, but I don't understand.

By ways, do you mean he was unsuccessful in his application?

Like I said, I hope the club haven't made a royal mess of something else, but it doesn't appear to be anything untoward yet.

Just a guy missing out on getting a job he would of really liked?

Unless there is more?

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote:Hey bob! I'm not sure if you were there (I know that I wasn't) at the interviews for the position. But given that the panel WERE present I'll trust their judgement on how the candidates presented their case for being given the job, and their decision on WHo that should be.
I agree with you Dave.

These are people with experience outside of football and the St Kilda Football Club and they will be quite clear about the type of coach we will need and will pick the right person for the right job.

I'd be more disappointed if we went for a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" kind of appointment which would set this club back decades.