Saints running scared on coaching decision, says GT

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Bigcarl commented :
In principle I dislike a "process" for selecting the right candidate,
I think generally the coach should be appointed by the board, who then live or die by their decision
Having a panel and "process" in place gives them a convenient "out" if we appoint a dud.
Boards, presidents etc are appointed to make decisions and I don't see a lot of that going on.
But let's see what the outcome is. We may actually get it right, who knows.
These 3 appointments in particular, to the Panel, give me confidence that we should get the "right" decision :

i) Clare Prideaux
Manager Coaching, Athlete and Program Services, New South Wales Institute of Sport
Clare is currently responsible for the recruitment, development, performance and succession management of High Performance coaches within a variety of organisations.

ii) Pippa Grange
Director of Bluestone Edge
A Doctor of Applied Psychology, with over eleven years experience in the public and private sectors, Pippa has worked primarily within elite sport in the areas of psychology, culture and leadership.

iii) Ian McLeod
Director, St Kilda Football Club
Ian McLeod is the current Managing Director of Coles Limited, responsible for the Coles Supermarkets, Liquor and Convenience businesses.

Ian was chief executive of Scotland’s Celtic Football Club from 2001-2003. Since moving to Australia, Ian has become a Board Director of Melbourne Victory and has been on the Board of St Kilda Football Club since 2009.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Bigcarl commented :
In principle I dislike a "process" for selecting the right candidate,
I think generally the coach should be appointed by the board, who then live or die by their decision
Having a panel and "process" in place gives them a convenient "out" if we appoint a dud.
Boards, presidents etc are appointed to make decisions and I don't see a lot of that going on.
These 3 appointments in particular, to the Panel, give me confidence that we should get the "right" decision :

i) Clare Prideaux
Manager Coaching, Athlete and Program Services, New South Wales Institute of Sport
Clare is currently responsible for the recruitment, development, performance and succession management of High Performance coaches within a variety of organisations.

ii) Pippa Grange
Director of Bluestone Edge
A Doctor of Applied Psychology, with over eleven years experience in the public and private sectors, Pippa has worked primarily within elite sport in the areas of psychology, culture and leadership.

iii) Ian McLeod
Director, St Kilda Football Club
Ian McLeod is the current Managing Director of Coles Limited, responsible for the Coles Supermarkets, Liquor and Convenience businesses.

Ian was chief executive of Scotland’s Celtic Football Club from 2001-2003. Since moving to Australia, Ian has become a Board Director of Melbourne Victory and has been on the Board of St Kilda Football Club since 2009.
i have read a lot on ian ...he has really given coles a boost.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's "the people skills" that will be the key to the selection, Stinger.
We just can't afford to make a mistake on this one !

At the end of the day, there won't be a great deal of difference in "football smarts," between the best candidates.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:In principle I dislike a "process" for selecting the right candidate,

Funny stuff, you're joking right?

Aside from the fact that the board appoints the selection committee, sorta makes them accountable I would have thought

FAIR DINKUM

Furthermore this time around we even have THREE board members on the selection committee

I don't see any convenient out anywhere

THE BOARD IS ALWAYS ACCOUNTABLE FOR ANY COACHING APPOINTMENT

There are some FAIR DINKUM ninnyhammers on here!

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

A thread on Saintsational

everyone attacking Thomas

me defending him

you gotta love that

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

RIX - credibility -> window

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:RIX - credibility -> window
:lol:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:It's "the people skills" that will be the key to the selection, Stinger.
We just can't afford to make a mistake on this one !

At the end of the day, there won't be a great deal of difference in "football smarts," between the best candidates.
i agree.....but give the job to banger, i say...... :wink: :wink: 8-) 8-) 8-)
Last edited by stinger on Mon 10 Oct 2011 12:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bergsone
SS Life Member

Anyone have an idea who is left in the running,Watters,G.Brown etc

spert
Saintsational Legend

To satisfy that selection panel, I would say you would need to be the proven best coach in Australia, be successful at business and have the IQ of a genius and like soccer. That should narrow it down.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:Anyone have an idea who is left in the running,Watters,G.Brown etc
I doubt anyone outside the selection committee/Board knows, and that is royally pyssing many in the media off. Hence all the speculation and inuendo !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

bergsone wrote:Anyone have an idea who is left in the running,Watters,G.Brown etc
If there are 10 candidates remaining you'd think;

Watters
Hinkley
G.Brown
A.Richardson
R.Harvey
Tudor
Cameron

3 smokies....?

I'd be happy with any of those except Banger...

At a pinch...I like Gavin Brown.

saintlee
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:
If there are 10 candidates remaining you'd think;

Watters
Hinkley
G.Brown
A.Richardson
R.Harvey
Tudor
Cameron

3 smokies....?

I'd be happy with any of those except Banger...

At a pinch...I like Gavin Brown.
Cameron pulled out a couple of weeks back. Don't think Tudor is actually being interviewed either.

For mine, its out of Watters, Hinkley or Richardson.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

westy wrote:How in the name of Jehova can we shut tis clown Thomas up? I reckon if you got him in a room alone with B4EVA the silence would be deafening.
I am so sick of GT.

I wish he would just shut the hell up about the saints. he does say alot about other teams.

just wait until we pick the coach his comments will be unbelievable!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote: Then they appoint a supermarket guy...That is truly insane!
Yep, this guy Ian McLeod doesn't look like he has any worthwhile cred at all. He was only chief executive of the Scottish Premier League club Celtic.

:roll: :roll:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 968237.stm

But he has been praised for the way that he has handled the club's finances during his two-year spell and has such strong links with the city of Leeds that it appears likely that he will be called upon to do a spot of crisis management at Elland Road.

Bloke sounds like a shelf stacker to me..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.wesfarmers.com.au/about-us/l ... ian-mcleod

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

GT. What rubbish is he sprouting.

Given we are the only club left in the coach market - there is no logical reason to rush the decision.

We are going through the most thorough interview process maybe ever undertaken in the afl. If he thinks this is lack of leadership he is a nong.

By contrast - Melbourne picked a coach based on Gary Lyon's "gut instinct" and "eyeballing of Mark Neeld which took 3 seconds.
What if had a lazy eye?

Id much rather be in our shoes than Melbourne's if thats what people call "leadership".

gringo
Saintsational Legend

GT is Malcolm Fraser or Graham Richardson, another that pretends to support their former employers in the media while making a name for themselves as knives for hire.

I totally agree on panels and processes, we should grab a hat chuck in some names and pull one out. FFS how hard is that, and we won't go broke that way.

We should get GTs russian enema doctor in with his divining rod to pick the winner. No f%$# it just raffle it off to pay for etihad stadium short falls. $2000 and you are senior coach for a week. We didn't need a bloke with any skill to get us to where Gt had us. Maybe we should get him back as our umpiring liason officer at the same time.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:GT. What rubbish is he sprouting.

Given we are the only club left in the coach market - there is no logical reason to rush the decision.

We are going through the most thorough interview process maybe ever undertaken in the afl. If he thinks this is lack of leadership he is a nong.

By contrast - Melbourne picked a coach based on Gary Lyon's "gut instinct" and "eyeballing of Mark Neeld which took 3 seconds.
What if had a lazy eye?

Id much rather be in our shoes than Melbourne's if thats what people call "leadership".
There maybe one logical reason of having a coach now. We may trade a player the coach desparately wanted to keep. I would rather have a coach on board going into to as trade week where it looks like we have to trade even if we dont want to.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

What if had a lazy eye?

There maybe one logical reason of having a coach now. We may trade a player the coach desparately wanted to keep. I would rather have a coach on board going into to as trade week where it looks like we have to trade even if we dont want to.
Unfortunately Ross Lyon leaving when he did has not given us this option unless you think we should have already selected a coach by now

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What if had a lazy eye?

Unfortunately Ross Lyon leaving when he did has not given us this option unless you think we should have already selected a coach by now
I would have thought 3 weeks is plenty of time.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What if had a lazy eye?

Well they've said 4 weeks all along and that sounds about right.

You know Geelong went through last years trade period without a coach?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What if had a lazy eye?

plugger disagreeing with me. hilarity.

fact is - the other clubs looking for coaches did not make finals - PLUS - eade, bailey and craig went early - so they all had about 5 weeks start on us PLUS our guy left in strange circumstances whilst STILL CONTRACTED-

So being 3 weeks behind those 3 clubs is VERY REASONABLE under the circs.

in reality they probably had 10 weeks head start on us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What if had a lazy eye?

Well they've said 4 weeks all along and that sounds about right.

You know Geelong went through last years trade period without a coach?
And look where it got them.

nw7
Club Player

Grant Thomas needs to stop commenting on his 2 pet hates, the AFL & Saints. He bagged the club all year for the style Ross Lyon had us play and now he is bagging the club for not signing Ross Lyon. Its a no win situation for the Saints we say black he says white he is still bitter and twisted after all these years. Build a bridge Grant.

thefatdork
Club Player

nw7 wrote:Grant Thomas needs to stop commenting on his 2 pet hates, the AFL & Saints. He bagged the club all year for the style Ross Lyon had us play and now he is bagging the club for not signing Ross Lyon. Its a no win situation for the Saints we say black he says white he is still bitter and twisted after all these years. Build a bridge Grant.
Totally agree - it would be great to see/hear something constructive from GT instead of the usual rants and sniping. He doesn't do himself any favours with this sort of crap.
It would have been good to have a coach in place before trade week - but Lying Lyon didn't give us that luxury and would have been foolish to rush things - perhaps this was part of Lyon's planning for Fremantle by shafting one of their rivals :evil:
GO SAINTS - remember "Strength Through Loyalty"
Last edited by thefatdork on Mon 10 Oct 2011 9:38pm, edited 1 time in total.