Salary cap questions, and new coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Salary cap questions, and new coach

If the club is under salary cap pressure, and needs to retain its better players, could it mean that we won't be paying mega-bucks to the new coach? It may well be that the new coach is one of the lower profile asistants who can't really demand a big salary package. Of all the canditates, Watters seems to have the biggest reputation and accolades, so you would think, would want the biggest salary of the assistants in line for a senior role...the plot thickens. :roll:

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: Salary cap questions, and new coach

spert wrote:If the club is under salary cap pressure, and needs to retain its better players, could it mean that we won't be paying mega-bucks to the new coach? It may well be that the new coach is one of the lower profile asistants who can't really demand a big salary package. Of all the canditates, Watters seems to have the biggest reputation and accolades, so you would think, would want the biggest salary of the assistants in line for a senior role...the plot thickens. :roll:
salary cap has got nothing to do with paying a coach , assistant coaches
etc

salary cap only has to do with the players.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

The salary cap doesn't apply to coaching staff so there is nothing to stop St Kilda paying Watters, Hinkley, etc $1million a season.

Whether there is enough $$$ in the entire club budget is a different issue though.

Pelchen was on Trade Week Radio this morning confirming that the cap is tight... he also said that no big names will be traded but there were no guarantees (which I read as if we get a fantastic offer that relieves the salary cap issue & delivers us early picks then we'll look at it).

spert
Saintsational Legend

I was thinking more of the overall club budget. I presume the club pays the players and the coach from the same bucket of money.

Rosco
Club Player

spert wrote:I was thinking more of the overall club budget. I presume the club pays the players and the coach from the same bucket of money.
Yeah, but the apparent issue relates to the cap being tight, haven't heard anything about the overall bucket of cash being light

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote:I was thinking more of the overall club budget. I presume the club pays the players and the coach from the same bucket of money.
The reported issues are with the cap though.

A lot of people reading too much into the significant loss due to the stadium deal. With the new AFL distribution money the club should be flush with cash!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:
Yeah, but the apparent issue relates to the cap being tight, haven't heard anything about the overall bucket of cash being light
True, though with the club being in debt for various reasons, I think the money is a bit scarce.

mcadam05
Club Player

What I don't get is how can the Cap be tight if the cap for next year and beyond hasn't even been set yet by the AFL

Rosco
Club Player

Maybe the players have their wages adjusted proportionally to any increase in the cap amount, e.g. if cap goes up 5 per cent so does each players wage. Otherwise long term contracts would be risky for players (and clubs if the cap ever went down)

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote:True, though with the club being in debt for various reasons, I think the money is a bit scarce.
Posting a loss and being in debt are two different things...

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Rosco
Club Player

mcadam05 wrote:What I don't get is how can the Cap be tight if the cap for next year and beyond hasn't even been set yet by the AFL
SEN (Patrick Smith?) just said we've got some bonuses to pay, back dated from 2010

mcadam05
Club Player

Rosco wrote:
mcadam05 wrote:What I don't get is how can the Cap be tight if the cap for next year and beyond hasn't even been set yet by the AFL
SEN (Patrick Smith?) just said we've got some bonuses to pay, back dated from 2010
if that's the case how would trading a "Big Name" help that, sadly again the media hacks seem too get the truth on one thing and just pile on so much rumour and crap on top you end up not knowing what's true or not , More then likely we are pretty tight for this year but trading away players only effects next year and beyond.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Pelchen says the cap is tight and that we will be active in trade week...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
mcadam05
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:Pelchen says the cap is tight and that we will be active in trade week...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

- "I wouldn't say that we're over the cap - that would be wrong. Basically our cap is in a strained position, that's a fair assumption to make, but at the same time, we're not over the cap. We'll be under the cap in 2012. All we're trying to do is manage it in a professional manner."

and that puts a fullstop too the wholething! Can we all just move on now

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Thanks for explaining the issue regarding bonuses from 2010... I wasn't able to work out how we would be so close when we didn't go far into the finals this year. I had no idea that things could be backdated like that! Wow. You learn something every day.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

We have until the 31st of October to get our S**t together re the SC, according to Ken Wood.

lefty
Club Player

TBH, if the PLAYERS want to stay at the club, they should stick by each other, take 5% off their pay each, from the first to the last player. Would show good leadership and core, along with loyalty to shove in Ross Lyon's face, along with telling their supporters/world they're the real deal.

Should free up enough cash. Then win the grand final next year, and write their own history...

Lets face it, afl players earn more than enough to be comfortable as it is compared to the average joe blow.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:TBH, if the PLAYERS want to stay at the club, they should stick by each other, take 5% off their pay each, from the first to the last player. Would show good leadership and core, along with loyalty to shove in Ross Lyon's face, along with telling their supporters/world they're the real deal.

Should free up enough cash. Then win the grand final next year, and write their own history...

Lets face it, afl players earn more than enough to be comfortable as it is compared to the average joe blow.

I thought the same thing if I was a bunch of cocks that showed my c**k or a juiced up pill popper why not show some good will to the fans that they continually drag through the nettles with them in every off season. Forgo the back, crack and sack and spray tans for a year and give something back.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Pelchen has also stated....

"Yes there will be a number of changes to our list over the course of this week, but having said that I’m not sure they’ll be the players that have been mentioned."

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Saints94
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:Pelchen has also stated....

"Yes there will be a number of changes to our list over the course of this week, but having said that I’m not sure they’ll be the players that have been mentioned."
Sounds like we will be busy than usual.....