According to Damien BARRET we have "salary Cap' issues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I could be wrong, but you'd think if we have salary cap issues we be signing the likes of BJ and finding new homes for (and no disrespect here) the like of Jones, Farren, Dawson...

Not the other way around.

On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

If and I do mean IF, there is a salary cap problem at the Saints, I have no doubt that the players would be able to resolve it as most of them believe that there is "unfinshed business".

As a long term member, I would be willing to find ways to support them in any action they need to take..... not brown paper bags but I too need an environmental ambassador working for my company.

I am still hurting from 71;
my gut churns thinking of 97;
2009 was agony,
2010a was a pleasure to watch only to be devastated by 2010 b.
It hurts barracking for the Saints
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: According to Damien BARRET we have "salary Cap' iss

WinnersOnly wrote:According to Damien BARRET we have signifciant 'Salary Cap' issues!

That being the case you would think it would force the club to trade some players for selections or younger less expensive recruits.

I dont know what the $$$ are but you would think that being the case players like Dawson, Jones, Ray & Glibert would be in trouble.

If Dawson stays I would like see him get a lot stronger - his biggest weakness is he is outmuscled by the bigger forwards. I would also like to see him become a lot more offensive with his play like 2010 when he ran forward dragging his forward out of position.
look...i would like you to get something straight........barret is a f*** wit...wouldn't know if his arse was on fire......salary cap issues are just crap....lovett set us back half a million this year...now he is off the books ...as are gardiner, baker, and mini for starters.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
sRaf
Club Player

What's with all the shots taken at Damien Barret? It seems that's all this board is capable of doing.

He's broken enough big stories to not ignore, but I think (hope) this may be a ploy to boost the ratings of their AFL Trade Week broadcast tomorrow. It's certainly gotten everyone's attention so it's working on that front.

Though, if true, we are witnessing the self combustion of the St Kilda football club... once again.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

sRaf wrote:What's with all the shots taken at Damien Barret? It seems that's all this board is capable of doing.

He's broken enough big stories to not ignore, but I think (hope) this may be a ploy to boost the ratings of their AFL Trade Week broadcast tomorrow. It's certainly gotten everyone's attention so it's working on that front.

Though, if true, we are witnessing the self combustion of the St Kilda football club... once again.
Come in spinner :oops:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

That should be salary crap issues

Another opportunity awaits!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

gringo
Saintsational Legend

How the hell are we that far over the cap that we need to cull multiple players? Why aren't we already in trouble?? Maybe we really do have some crap administrators.

The Jeff
Club Player

Looks like there is a bit more substance to this post after all.

The key to being successful in a trade is simple but complex in application. It is to orchestrate win-win scearios to break-even or win-loss scenariosin our favour. Pelchen has runs on the board in this regard.

So hopefully, although being 'forced' into action isn't ideal, we can work out a positive resolution.

FQF
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Honestly reckon Zac and Farren may be gone.

Perhaps the sort of players that now command (given turn around in form at St Kilda) more than originally antipated?

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

How the hell are we that far over the cap that we need to cull multiple players? Why aren't we already in trouble?? Maybe we really do have some crap administrators.
Maybe Riewoldt is overpaid?

Another opportunity awaits!
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

gringo wrote:

BINGO!!!!! :!:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
gringo wrote:

Maybe Riewoldt is overpaid?
Unfortunately on his output this year he was but when you sign a contract it is not factoring the down times. At least it wasn't like Hamill's 5 years.

The Jeff
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Honestly reckon Zac and Farren may be gone.

Perhaps the sort of players that now command (given turn around in form at St Kilda) more than originally antipated?
I don't know about this. If we 'have to trade' we are best to trade someone with more currency outside our club.

Dawson is pretty much our only option for FB. Therefore his worth to us is higher than it would be to another club. We wouldn't 'win' in a trade with Dawson as the bait.

I like Farren Ray and he has been good for us. On the open market, he is not a sought after commodity though, because he is mostly recognised as a GOP and nothing else.

Sam Gilbert though, does have currency because he does the flashy things. He breaks the lines, lays strong tackles and usually ends up with a bunch of marks each game. I would not like to lose him but if we have to be active in trade week, he is the type of player that is most likely to allow us to orchestrate a win-win trade.

FQF
ace
Saintsational Legend

How can the club have salary cap issues.
Luke Ball is no longer at the club that makes heaps of room ....... unless someone stupid overpaid players who just scraped into the 8 and were easily swept aside.

It is all rather simple, you line them all up and tell them they have fat heads about their worth.
Did Mr Can't kick straight because I get the yips earn his near 1 million?
Then you tell them they are all slashed by 10% and wont get another dime until they win a premiership.

Overpaid hacks ....... all they do is kick a footy.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

Why can't we trade some of our clubs trouble making women instead.

That could be a win-win. No more scandals, the players might concentrate on winning a premiership instead and the players could all afford a pay cut.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

How much more would they need to cut back?
Estimated savings they would have budgeted for 2012.....

AL off the books $330k :oops:
Gardiner $250k
Baker $250k
McQualter $200k
Eddy $200k

Replaced by 4 x 18yo DP at $60k each.
Back end any new contracts and place whoever they can on the vet's list.

What it means is no trading for any A Grade player this year at least.
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Mon 10 Oct 2011 1:15am, edited 1 time in total.

Stand your ground :shock:
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Why isint this happening to Collingwood, Geelong??? Yet we are the club that still dont have a premiership.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Guys calm down.

We were at something like 99.9% this season, we may no longer have to pay out Lovett (I'm not sure we did this year).

We have lost Baker, Gardiner and McQualter.

We have until October 30th to get our act together apparently, chances are that's the deadline for all clubs??

Storm in a teacup, notice they have no quotes in the HS article.

Ross Lyon thought we had enough cash to go after Clark from Brisbane...

If we do need to clear some room I say we trade Gram to GWS for a 4th round draft pick.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
groupie1
Club Player

#1GILL wrote:
Old Mate wrote:gilbert has a contract, he's not in any trouble.
Not saying Gilbert is or isn't in any trouble, but players with contracts can still be traded you know? If we do have serious salary cap issues and we trade to fix it then it's very likely that we'll trade a contracted player.
You beat me to it. Correct point

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
markp
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote:
gringo wrote:

BINGO!!!!! :!:
AFL salary cap investigator Ken Wood has been a regular visitor to the Saints' Seaford base in recent weeks. He is understood to have found the Saints to be in breach of their salary cap but has given them room to move before the deadline of October 31.
You really gotta wonder.... if true, utterly diabolical. :roll:

longtimesaint
Club Player

Wouldn'i Reiwoldt be on the veterans list now -only 50% of his salary in the cap?

One year will be our year
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
hayes66
Club Player

really couldnt see us losing goddard but i think gilbert may be on his way. i like gilbert but not too dissappointed by this as we might get some value for him. Wouldnt be surprised to see dawson or ray at freo next year either.

hayes66
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:Pelchen confirms we have issues,,,

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
having read that article i now dont think gilbert is gone either. if we have problems but they are saying we want to keep ray and dawson and all the stars, then who are we gonna trade. wouldnt get much for the likes of dempster and wouldnt have thought he would free up much space. I dont want to lose any stars but I was a bit excited about the prospect of being forced to take some trade action this year.