St Kilda has Gary Ayres in mix

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
What would be dissapointing is to hear the decision was made some time ago and weve just been through a few weeks "media massaging" for Ayres to be warmed into the role. IF that was occuring ...thats a whole new problem.
Agree completely with this.

Had enough of that BS with Thomas a decade ago.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

What's with the freakin obsession with Watters......he hasn't really done anything at AFL level either...they'll pick someone and then all we should worry about is whether we win or lose....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:What's with the freakin obsession with Watters......he hasn't really done anything at AFL level either...they'll pick someone and then all we should worry about is whether we win or lose....
defensive coach of the best defensive team over the last 2 years and at the club that has played off in the last 2 gf's, including winning one.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
bobmurray wrote:What's with the freakin obsession with Watters......he hasn't really done anything at AFL level either...they'll pick someone and then all we should worry about is whether we win or lose....
defensive coach of the best defensive team over the last 2 years and at the club that has played off in the last 2 gf's, including winning one.
Yes, but he's ONLY an assistant coach....everything they want to implement has to go through the coach for approval or modification...there is no correlation between being an assistant and being the COACH....

He just has to keep the defensive facet of the game plan working...he doesn't have to invent the plan......

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
Yes, but he's ONLY an assistant coach....everything they want to implement has to go through the coach for approval or modification...there is no correlation between being an assistant and being the COACH....

He just has to keep the defensive facet of the game plan working...he doesn't have to invent the plan......
so what you're saying is that we go for an experienced afl senior coach - eade, ayres type?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

so what you're saying is that we go for an experienced afl senior coach - eade, ayres type?
I'm just pointing out that there is an infatuation with Watters that may not be warranted, especially as he is competing with other assistant coaches who haven't been so readily adopted on here but who may actually be better AFL COACH material....

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

I'm just pointing out that there is an infatuation with Watters that may not be warranted, especially as he is competing with other assistant coaches who haven't been so readily adopted on here but who may actually be better AFL COACH material....
i reckon there is an infatuation with appointing a former assistant coach, not specially appointing watters. it just so happens that he is the best credentialed of the candidates. add his wafl record and the snippets that we've seen of him in the media and he looks the most suitable at the moment. of course he may flop in the interview process and someone from left field comes out but so far watters is the favourite and deservedly so.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

i reckon there is an infatuation with appointing a former assistant coach, not specially appointing watters. it just so happens that he is the best credentialed of the candidates. add his wafl record and the snippets that we've seen of him in the media and he looks the most suitable at the moment. of course he may flop in the interview process and someone from left field comes out but so far watters is the favourite and deservedly so.
based on nothing but YOUR infatuation with him...you believe the hype...

your entitled to believe it....but some don't.....

Dave Robicheaux
Club Player

I am not averse to the prospect of Gary Ayres coaching the Saints. He has experience as a senior coach at AFL level. He has, by hard work and conviction, lifted himseld from the "scrapheap" and put himself into contention for a senior gig. Watters seems well credentialled too, so whoever we have as coach in 2012 I will be backing that person 100% as for dropping my membership if we appoint Ayres? well thats just NOT gonna happen boy!

Y'all better blow it off now
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

i wouldn't call it an infatuation, nothing of the sort, more of an opinion based on the information i have...which isn't a lot.

the club will make the decision on who the coach will be and i trust they'll make the correct one...i'm just speculating on who it will be. in the end i couldn't give a rats who gets the position...as long as it's the right one.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

i wouldn't call it an infatuation, nothing of the sort, more of an opinion based on the information i have...which isn't a lot.

the club will make the decision on who the coach will be and i trust they'll make the correct one...i'm just speculating on who it will be. in the end i couldn't give a rats who gets the position...as long as it's the right one.
I agree about the club making a decision that is the RIGHT one....

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We need a coach that has come from a successful AFL club, and hopefully the board will put together a good team of experienced assistants around the senior coach, whoever they appoint. Watters is rightly the favourite for a number of reasons and the main one I think, without knowing the guy, being that he is certainly coming to us from a club that has had success most recently. Apart from Lyons sales skills and philosophies and all that, that was one of the main reasons Lyon got the gig 5 years ago wasn't it?

I think Watters has served his apprenticeship and if he's hungry enough for the gig, well his time is now I reckon. I don't think he needs to do much more than believe in the current playing group, build on our midfield tackling and add some new forward options into the team. The templates for success and the Collingwood IP Watters will bring to the Saints will add to the programs and successful strategies that we already possess.

Speaking of Rossco...it's quite interesting to hear his new spiel;

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
"Lyon built a track record of recycling mature-age AFL players during his five seasons as St Kilda coach, but he said it was not a strategy that would necessarily be transferred to Fremantle."

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Seriously? Garry Ayres?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:We need a coach that has come from a successful AFL club, and hopefully the board will put together a good team of experienced assistants around the senior coach, whoever they appoint. Watters is rightly the favourite for a number of reasons and the main one I think, without knowing the guy, being that he is certainly coming to us from a club that has had success most recently. Apart from Lyons sales skills and philosophies and all that, that was one of the main reasons Lyon got the gig 5 years ago wasn't it?

I think Watters has served his apprenticeship and if he's hungry enough for the gig, well his time is now I reckon. I don't think he needs to do much more than believe in the current playing group, build on our midfield tackling and add some new forward options into the team. The templates for success and the Collingwood IP Watters will bring to the Saints will add to the programs and successful strategies that we already possess.

Speaking of Rossco...it's quite interesting to hear his new spiel;

"Lyon built a track record of recycling mature-age AFL players during his five seasons as St Kilda coach, but he said it was not a strategy that would necessarily be transferred to Fremantle."
F*** Lyin....= tosser

dragit
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Teflon wrote:
What would be dissapointing is to hear the decision was made some time ago and weve just been through a few weeks "media massaging" for Ayres to be warmed into the role. IF that was occuring ...thats a whole new problem.

Me too, just can't see it happening for Ayres though, appointing without a thorough process - no way, Malthouse maybe but not Ayres...

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Me too, just can't see it happening for Ayres though, appointing without a thorough process - no way, Malthouse maybe but not Ayres...
Is he still in the running...The Herald Sun says No...he's out of the running....

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

it won't be a done deal with anyone yet especially Ayres because there is no point. if Ayres is most desirable he is not going anywhere. why remove your options unnecessarily. the panel may have favourites at this stage but will go through a scoring process based on criteria which may look something like this:

vision 20%
experience 20%
strategic 20%
leadership 20%
pay 10%
commitment 10%

whoever has the highest score wins. if it is tight between two the differentiating criteria will be scrutinized thoroughly and scores tweaked if required.

i have a lot of experience in this type of process and usually after the second interview/presentation you have a clear and unanimous winner.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Hinkley has been around more success than Watters, if that is the key selection criteria. Watters has less AFL coaching experience than banger as far as I can tell?

One things for sure, none of us know who the best candidate is, hopefully that huge selection panel will get it right... Reality is that we are most likely looking at some decent time in the bottom half over the next 10 years, where nurture & development will be more important than anything else.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
dragit wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Is he still in the running...The Herald Sun says No...he's out of the running....
I just meant that they may have run a pretend set of interviews if they had Malthouse lined up, but not ...

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

According to todays Hun they have interviewed 40, there is ten left, and Ayres is not one of them. Make of that what you will.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Not anymore by the sounds of it. Sounds like Watters or Richardson.

rocketrod7
Club Player

End Of An Era wrote:All this arguing is a waste of time anyway because Ayres has already got the job!!!!
Are you still so sure?????

I am not an animal.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Ayres apparently told last night that he hasn't made the short list

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Speaking of Rossco...it's quite interesting to hear his new spiel;

One thing about Lyon I did learn over time.......he speaks in riddles and can often say 1 thing and do the opposite. I often heard Ross talk bout " we want to play fast, attacking aggressive footy........" only to then front up to a game and watch us kick 3 goals and pot the ball back/sideways anyways but attacking......

Is a master at it Lyon and leopards dont change their spots. Hes a "now" coach...that wont change. Sure, he'll draft a kid or 2....but freo can expect an increase in recycled players cause thats what Ross does. He's not going to morph into "development hands on coach" anytime soon IMO.

Lets just hope it fails. Yes thats nasty, so what.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Scollop wrote:Speaking of Rossco...it's quite interesting to hear his new spiel;

One thing about Lyon I did learn over time.......he speaks in riddles and can often say 1 thing and do the opposite. .
Exactly right. He's a liar and knows only one way. You watch him impliment the same game plan and strategies over there