St Kilda has Gary Ayres in mix

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
james rose wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:I'd be happy to see Ayres as a senior assistant to a younger coach. A team of Watters, Ayres and Harvey would be a solid base for the coaching group.

Please not Ayres for the senior coach though; he had his chances and never got to the top
Goodbye membership if so.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Put it this way. I want to be wrong. So incredibly wrong.
You seem to get your wish with every post you make.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Spud wrote:
Hurricane wrote:Back on topic.

Id like to see Harves/Watters as senior coach with Ayres in a mentor role.

You can say whatever you like about his previous go rounds but Ayres stint at Port Melbourne has been pretty impressive. Won 69 out of 89 games in 4 years including 21 games undefeated and a flag this year. Hard to top that.

BANG BANG
When Ayres name first came up I thought not a bad choice, these stats help solidify that.
Yeah, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Adelaide and, of course, Freo must be kicking themselves they didn't wait for the VFL Premership to be decided!

What were they thinking? :shock:
The only real issue is that coaches are being picked for the specific needs of these clubs, its not a one size fits all. As some others have said an experienced coach who has been through the traps may well be suited to St Kilda in light of the core group that still exists within the team. My other preferred candidate is Watters for that X factor, he is unproven like Scott but a potential gamble that coud pay off. I like the info that he is said to be a great tactician.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Spud wrote:

You can say whatever you like about his previous go rounds but Ayres stint at Port Melbourne has been pretty impressive. Won 69 out of 89 games in 4 years including 21 games undefeated and a flag this year. Hard to top that.

BANG BANG
When Ayres name first came up I thought not a bad choice, these stats help solidify that.
Yeah, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Adelaide and, of course, Freo must be kicking themselves they didn't wait for the VFL Premership to be decided!

What were they thinking? :shock:
Ross Lyon probably wouldn't have been considered if there were other clubs looking for someone at the time we appointed him, but did that make it a poor choice for us to go with him? I think not.
What the other clubs do or don't do would only be relevant if we were a sheep.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Spud wrote:

BANG BANG

What were they thinking?  :shock:
Ross Lyon probably wouldn't have been considered if there were other clubs looking for someone at the time we appointed him, but did that make it a poor choice for us to go with him? I think not. 
What the other clubs do or don't do would only be relevant if we were a sheep.
Just saying. No one has really shown any interest in Ayres for the last 5 - 6 years. His old club Hawthorn overlooked him when they appointed Clarkson.

And then this year you have four other clubs looking for new coaches and his name doesn't even come up. Are the needs of all these clubs so different to ours? Are the Western Bulldogs in a totally different space to us? Or does completing a perfect VFL season mean much, much more than simply being unbeaten heading into the finals as Port Melbourne were when those clubs picked their coach?

Do people really want Ayres, or are they trying to convince themselves he's the man just in case he does get appointed?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I would think that Ayres is doing his chances more harm than good with all his comments in the media over the past few days !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Saints94
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:I would think that Ayres is doing his chances more harm than good with all his comments in the media over the past few days !!
What has he been saying?

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

You'd have to be pretty stupid to think that people don't get better at what they do and learn more as they get older. Port Melbourne didn't loose a game this season... Outstanding. Won 69 of 89 games over 4 years... outstanding. Seems like they must have really enjoyed playing under Gary.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
Eastern wrote:I would think that Ayres is doing his chances more harm than good with all his comments in the media over the past few days !!
What has he been saying?
He's in the Age today saying how he is fighting against "generational change in coaching"......in other words...........theres some really good YOUNGER coaches out there and Gary's now playing the "Im experienced" card for a look in.

Problem with that is Gary's last AFL "experience" was 2004 - 8 yrs ago......Id suggest the games moved well past since then.

As Dr says - 4 other clubs recently looking for a coach....NOT 1 speaks to Ayres....so we do?? why???

For all his coaching supposed prowess Marto and others bang on about - Gary Ayres has only JUST NOW manage to get a side to a flag????.....and he wants to hang everything off that?

Nup. If we go this way we are going backwards fast IMO.

“Yeah….nah””
Saints94
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
Saints94 wrote:
What has he been saying?
He's in the Age today saying how he is fighting against "generational change in coaching"......in other words...........theres some really good YOUNGER coaches out there and Gary's now playing the "Im experienced" card for a look in.

Problem with that is Gary's last AFL "experience" was 2004 - 8 yrs ago......Id suggest the games moved well past since then.

As Dr says - 4 other clubs recently looking for a coach....NOT 1 speaks to Ayres....so we do?? why???

For all his coaching supposed prowess Marto and others bang on about - Gary Ayres has only JUST NOW manage to get a side to a flag????.....and he wants to hang everything off that?

Thanks mate, sounds very confident :shock: , must of recieved good feedback of Pelchen

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:You'd have to be pretty stupid to think that people don't get better at what they do and learn more as they get older. Port Melbourne didn't loose a game this season... Outstanding. Won 69 of 89 games over 4 years... outstanding. Seems like they must have really enjoyed playing under Gary.
Thats great - its been 8 years since Ayres has been in the AFL system...on the inside with any real knowledge at that level where the game, sports science, resources, player management etc etc have and are going???

IF as you say Port have been so "outstanding" over 4 years - again I ask.....why is no one but us banging on Gary Ayres door EVEN FOR ASSISTANT roles??????

You dont have to be Einstein to work that out.

FWIW Peter German is a long held, respected coach who should be in the system......Id go his record over Ayres as a coach is we are looking at minor standings for coaches anyday.

Hawks dont want Ayres? why?......

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Saints94 wrote:
What has he been saying?

Thanks mate, sounds very confident :shock: , must of recieved good feedback of Pelchen
Not sure if its confidence...or PR....anyway he ends by saying "hope I get a call back..." personally I dont.

“Yeah….nah””
Saints94
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
Saints94 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Saints94 wrote:
What has he been saying?

Not sure if its confidence...or PR....anyway he ends by saying "hope I get a call back..." personally I dont.
Neither do i, maybe as assistant though

happy feet
Club Player

Testing the waters

Having dealt with the media for a long time, sometimes an organisation will "test the waters" by using the media to gauge public reaction to a decision. I would not be surprised if this is what is happening right at this moment. There is a strong possibility that the decision to appoint Ayers has already been made. I don't know who the best choice for coach would be from the list of applicants, but don't try to predict their success or failure before the appointment is made.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm getting on board, just in case :)
Gary Hairs is my man.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Testing the waters

happy feet wrote:Having dealt with the media for a long time, sometimes an organisation will "test the waters" by using the media to gauge public reaction to a decision. I would not be surprised if this is what is happening right at this moment. There is a strong possibility that the decision to appoint Ayers has already been made. I don't know who the best choice for coach would be from the list of applicants, but don't try to predict their success or failure before the appointment is made.
If our "process" to appoint a new coach is a farce and this is "media startegy/spin 101" then thats a disgrace and testament to how the club is currently being run and IF any of that was true (a big IF for mine) then Id say - "well played Ross Lyon - couldnt disagree with youre decision under those "untennable" circumstances"

Ayres has not been sounded out by other clubs for a good reason - they know hes past it and never had it.

FFS - Can we not see what Geelong have done in terms of refreshing their organisation with a young, smart coach who is tactically sound and played the game this millenium?

Gary Ayres wants to practice "coaching 101" go **** do it at Horethorn.

“Yeah….nah””
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Geelong might have gone through undefeated if Hairs was coaching them…

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

MadSaintFan wrote:Spot on Bigmart. Cant believe how some people are so passionate about their opinions without having any knowledge or statistics to back it up. People talk about our list being difficult to manage, well if it is Id prefer a man whose been in the industry for 30 years playing and coaching than a first year coach.
If you were to ask me a month ago what I thought of Ayres, I'd be totally against him as an assistant coach for us let a lone as senior coach. iI light of his achievements with Port and his standing in the industry there is a case for him to be part of our coaching line-up next year...His timing couldn't be better. If we are to believe that maybe some individuals are difficult to manage, or some of the players ego's need to be deflated he may be the best man for that...There's the famous story of Yabbie and Dipper and yabbie pushing dipper up against the lockers after dipper questioned the coaches decision...I reckon with Gary's balls as swollen as they'll ever be at the moment, he could be the bloke to go in with the attitude of slamming a couple of egos up against the lockers if necessary.

I have nfi if he'd be any good as a senior coach, but my feeling is he's been out of the scene too long. I'd go Watters or Hinkley as coach and Ayres as an assistant/mentor.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:You'd have to be pretty stupid to think that people don't get better at what they do and learn more as they get older. Port Melbourne didn't loose a game this season... Outstanding. Won 69 of 89 games over 4 years... outstanding. Seems like they must have really enjoyed playing under Gary.
Thats great - its been 8 years since Ayres has been in the AFL system...on the inside with any real knowledge at that level where the game, sports science, resources, player management etc etc have and are going???

IF as you say Port have been so "outstanding" over 4 years - again I ask.....why is no one but us banging on Gary Ayres door EVEN FOR ASSISTANT roles??????

FWIW Peter German is a long held, respected coach who should be in the system......Id go his record over Ayres as a coach is we are looking at minor standings for coaches anyday.

Maybe you should coach then champ... since you know it all. Captain coach.... If you don't think a record like that is outstanding then you're a flog.

End Of An Era
Club Player

All this arguing is a waste of time anyway because Ayres has already got the job!!!!

SaintSimmo
Club Player

End Of An Era wrote:All this arguing is a waste of time anyway because Ayres has already got the job!!!!
mate ur going to look like an idiot if he doesn't get the job

Sainter for life.
End Of An Era
Club Player

SaintSimmo wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:All this arguing is a waste of time anyway because Ayres has already got the job!!!!
mate ur going to look like an idiot if he doesn't get the job
That's fine by me. I know what I've been told, and by who. It's a done deal so get used to the Mullet man. :lol:

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Sainterman wrote:
saintlee wrote:
Sainterman wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:When his appointment is finally made official, I hope he grows back the mullet he had in the 1980's. How cool would it be if all the Saints players followed him and we had a team full of mullets!!!!!! :shock: :D :lol:
So based on what you are saying, the entire interview process has been a sham. Basically all media spin with no-one else who has applied and put in the work even a chance? Would that be fair comment?

If that was the case what would it say about how the place is being run?

Fact of the matter is there are those that want change, and there are people who are willing to force that change in light of what is going on down there. Do you think Ayres will still be appointed if/when we have a new president and some new board members some time next week??
You're talking about these board changes like you know its definitely going to happen...I take it you have good sources for this? Not just your opinion? I haven't seen any such speculation in the media...
Well as soon as I say I have been reliably informed everyone here will want a source, which I am not prepared to disclose.

But....yes, there is certainly things going on in the background, these things are respectfully waiting for the B and F to be completed.

I think next week there should be some movement...
Well you can tell your source, that the appointment of Ayres would be a greater act of incompetence than losing Lyon. That there will subsequently many members, including myself, tearing up their memberships.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Maybe you should coach then champ... since you know it all. Captain coach.... If you don't think a record like that is outstanding then you're a flog.
Maybe you should stick to training your "flog" champ??
The discussion is around who our coach should be - if there are more valid options than Hairs we should look at them.

If...you cant keep up with the discussion "champ" maybe posting on the "big board" aint for you?...champ?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:
Sainterman wrote:
saintlee wrote:
Sainterman wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:When his appointment is finally made official, I hope he grows back the mullet he had in the 1980's. How cool would it be if all the Saints players followed him and we had a team full of mullets!!!!!! :shock: :D :lol:
So based on what you are saying, the entire interview process has been a sham. Basically all media spin with no-one else who has applied and put in the work even a chance? Would that be fair comment?

If that was the case what would it say about how the place is being run?

Fact of the matter is there are those that want change, and there are people who are willing to force that change in light of what is going on down there. Do you think Ayres will still be appointed if/when we have a new president and some new board members some time next week??
You're talking about these board changes like you know its definitely going to happen...I take it you have good sources for this? Not just your opinion? I haven't seen any such speculation in the media...
Well as soon as I say I have been reliably informed everyone here will want a source, which I am not prepared to disclose.

But....yes, there is certainly things going on in the background, these things are respectfully waiting for the B and F to be completed.

I think next week there should be some movement...
Well you can tell your source, that the appointment of Ayres would be a greater act of incompetence than losing Lyon. That there will subsequently many members, including myself, tearing up their memberships.
Hard to disagree with that.

IF Ayres gets the nod - this board has completely lost any idea IMO. You dont need to be a brain surgeon to work out that Gary Ayres is NOT currently sought after by other AFL clubs as an assistant or main coach for a reason??

Hasnt coached at AFL level since 2004, yet apparently hes a genius coach - WHY?

Let me gues:
1. Hes been to busy honing his craft?
2. Hes been patiently waiting for the "Saints" to come along - I mean, they give anyone a go yer?
3. He hasnt done anything till the flag at port....so NOW hes got some credibility to hang it on?

nup.

“Yeah….nah””
rocketrod7
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Maybe you should stick to training your "flog" champ??
The discussion is around who our coach should be - if there are more valid options than Hairs we should look at them.

If...you cant keep up with the discussion "champ" maybe posting on the "big board" aint for you?...champ?
Good movie - " The Champ" :wink:

I am not an animal.