St Kilda has Gary Ayres in mix

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Moccha wrote:
BigMart wrote:That dud Ayres with a TERRIBLE coaching record.....infact a terrible record in the industry....

He wouldnt know his way around a footy field......and leadership, has he ever shown any???

None whatsoever, so I am informed by supporters on saintsational

One part of me wants him to get the job....just so I can have a laugh at some experts on here, who label him incompetatnt.....when he is clearly not

My real preference would be a more contemporary coach.....mainly to do with tactical awareness...

If we had a young group.....I would think Gary would be a great choice...terrific mentor...does not get flustered
His actual record speaks for itself
And the fact that he was an awesome footballer, which adds a fair amount of credibility. He'd certainly be able to straighten out a few of the guys in the backline ie Gram, Ray and Dawson to start with.
Couldn't see Gram remaining at the club if Ayres came in. I'd fear for the Dawson's and Clarke's too.

Saints43
Club Player

markp wrote:I'd be more worried if they got all starry-eyed and threw a massive Blightesque offer at Malthouse.
I reckon a mick malthouse who feels he's been shafted and should be coaching next year anyway would be a very different proposition to blight being dragged out of retirement. I hope they've spoken to him. I hope they've spoken to everyone, though.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
markp wrote:I'd be more worried if they got all starry-eyed and threw a massive Blightesque offer at Malthouse.
I reckon a mick malthouse who feels he's been shafted and should be coaching next year anyway would be a very different proposition to blight being dragged out of retirement. I hope they've spoken to him. I hope they've spoken to everyone, though.
Agreed... the amount it would take if he was even mildly reluctant is my point.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Ayres did a great job at Geelong and Adelaide, did'nt he.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Ayres did a great job at Geelong and Adelaide, did'nt he.
He was a bit ahead of time in some ways.

I remember the Crows were copping flak for allowing the easy kick-ins. But the reason was that Ayres had them protecting the '2nd kick'. It was pretty much a zone defensive setup/press designed to keep the ball in.

His problem possibly was, that in order to defend it and justify it, he blurted out to everyone who would listen exactly what it was they were doing!

Sainterman
Club Player

I am not sure we will see a coaching appointment until there is some change at the top. Westaway on shaky ground, and Nettlefold will also be on shaky ground soon too.

I think the appointment will need to be ticked off post some other changes...

End Of An Era
Club Player

Re: St Kilda has Gary Ayres in mix

Shades wrote:PORT Melbourne's 2011 premiership coach, Gary Ayres, a former Geelong and Adelaide coach, was scheduled to present to St Kilda's coaching sub-committee last night.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6160721946
I told you about Ayres nearly 3 weeks ago. He has the job ffs.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I also would have no problem if we consider Ayres the best one for the job and appoint him. He has incredible footy experience and stood up big-time in the biggest games of all when playing, something he may be able to teach some at our club to do. He has also just taken a club that was told it could "not win a premiership as a stand-alone club" to not only that "impossible" premiership, but an undefeated season, against teams loaded up with those on AFL lists. That looks to be an incredible coaching feat.
So he didn't do as well as hoped at Adelaide and Geelong. Who cares? That was eons ago. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then and he may have learned the secret to coaching in that time. If he has, would those who are opposed still not want him, simply because he didn't win a flag at Geelong, or Adelaide? That would be wise. :shock: They are probably the same ones who would have screamed "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" if someone had suggested us drafting James Podsiadly a couple of years ago. A selection that may easily have made the difference between us not winning a flag and winning one.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Fri 07 Oct 2011 12:16pm, edited 4 times in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Sainterman
Club Player

End Of An Era wrote:
Shades wrote:PORT Melbourne's 2011 premiership coach, Gary Ayres, a former Geelong and Adelaide coach, was scheduled to present to St Kilda's coaching sub-committee last night.

EoA, you said he would be appointed last Wednesday. I must have missed that happening.

Do you think Westaway will still be president in a weeks time? I wonder about that, and if he isn't, well, is Ayres still a lock for you? I think anything coming out of there atm should be taken with a grain of salt.

End Of An Era
Club Player

When his appointment is finally made official, I hope he grows back the mullet he had in the 1980's. How cool would it be if all the Saints players followed him and we had a team full of mullets!!!!!! :shock: :D :lol:

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Ayres will be included in the second round of interviews on Tuesday.

End Of An Era
Club Player

Sainterman wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:

EoA, you said he would be appointed last Wednesday. I must have missed that happening.

Do you think Westaway will still be president in a weeks time? I wonder about that, and if he isn't, well, is Ayres still a lock for you? I think anything coming out of there atm should be taken with a grain of salt.
I understanf you are still sceptical. I admit it has taken longer than I was told but trust me, it is a done deal.

Sainterman
Club Player

End Of An Era wrote:When his appointment is finally made official, I hope he grows back the mullet he had in the 1980's. How cool would it be if all the Saints players followed him and we had a team full of mullets!!!!!! :shock: :D :lol:
So based on what you are saying, the entire interview process has been a sham. Basically all media spin with no-one else who has applied and put in the work even a chance? Would that be fair comment?

If that was the case what would it say about how the place is being run?

Fact of the matter is there are those that want change, and there are people who are willing to force that change in light of what is going on down there. Do you think Ayres will still be appointed if/when we have a new president and some new board members some time next week??

End Of An Era
Club Player

Sainterman wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:When his appointment is finally made official, I hope he grows back the mullet he had in the 1980's. How cool would it be if all the Saints players followed him and we had a team full of mullets!!!!!! :shock: :D :lol:
So based on what you are saying, the entire interview process has been a sham. Basically all media spin with no-one else who has applied and put in the work even a chance? Would that be fair comment?

Fact of the matter is there are those that want change, and there are people who are willing to force that change in light of what is going on down there. Do you think Ayres will still be appointed if/when we have a new president and some new board members some time next week??
I don't know anything about board changes. I only know that Ayres has been a done deal for quite some time now.

saintlee
Club Player

Sainterman wrote:

You're talking about these board changes like you know its definitely going to happen...I take it you have good sources for this? Not just your opinion? I haven't seen any such speculation in the media...

saintlee
Club Player

End Of An Era wrote:
Sainterman wrote:

I don't know anything about board changes. I only know that Ayres has been a done deal for quite some time now.
I simply can't believe (or I don't want to believe) this is true. If Ayres is a done deal, the interview process is a total sham and waste of everybody's time. I would be horrified actually....that would be totally unprofessional

Saints94
SS Life Member

Beno88 wrote:Ayres will be included in the second round of interviews on Tuesday.
Who else will be in second rounds?

End Of An Era
Club Player

Saints94 wrote:
Beno88 wrote:Ayres will be included in the second round of interviews on Tuesday.
No idea....sorry.

rocketrod7
Club Player

End Of An Era wrote:

You and your source will look quite silly if this doesn't happen. I personally have no source but am quite confidant it wont happen. He may be at the club, but not as senior coach IMO :wink:

I am not an animal.
Sainterman
Club Player

saintlee wrote:
Sainterman wrote:

You're talking about these board changes like you know its definitely going to happen...I take it you have good sources for this? Not just your opinion? I haven't seen any such speculation in the media...
Well as soon as I say I have been reliably informed everyone here will want a source, which I am not prepared to disclose.

But....yes, there is certainly things going on in the background, these things are respectfully waiting for the B and F to be completed.

I think next week there should be some movement...

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Saints94 wrote:
Not sure at this stage, I've heard news on Ayres through a family link.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:
Saints94 wrote:
No idea....sorry.
You must find it difficult looking people in the eye and talking out of your anus at the same time.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saints94
SS Life Member

Seriously Ayres will be Senior Assistant in my eyes

End Of An Era
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:
Saints94 wrote:
No idea....sorry.
You must find it difficult looking people in the eye and talking out of your anus at the same time.
Seriously Pav, if you haven't got anything of value to add then just shut your big mouth.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:
Saints94 wrote:
No idea....sorry.
Seriously Pav, if you haven't got anything of value to add then just shut your big mouth.
your arse must be jealous with all the s*** that comes out of your mouth