Why wasn't Geelong forced to wear a clash jumper in the GF??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

End Of An Era
Club Player

Why wasn't Geelong forced to wear a clash jumper in the GF??

The f****** AFL made us wear that s*** jumper in last years GF's even though Collingfilth caused the clash by changing their back to black. Why were Geelong allowed to get away with it?

In my opinion St Kilda should have 3 different jumpers. The traditional jumper as our home jumper and 2 clash jumpers. Both clash jumpers should have exactly the same front panels as the traditional jumper. However one of the clash jumpers should have a white back with black numbers and the other one should have a red back with black numbers, (or white numbers maybe, whatever looks better).

I would like to hear other posters opinions especially regarding Geelong getting away with it and also the prospect of having 3 jumpers.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Re: Why wasn't Geelong forced to wear a clash jumper in the

End Of An Era wrote: Both clash jumpers should have exactly the same front panels as the traditional jumper. However one of the clash jumpers should have a white back with black numbers and the other one should have a red back with black numbers, (or white numbers maybe, whatever looks better).
First idea - Yes
Second idea - No

Sainter for life.
stanthecaddy

End Of An Era wrote:The f****** AFL made us wear that s*** jumper in last years GF's even though Collingfilth caused the clash by changing their back to black. Why were Geelong allowed to get away with it?

In my opinion St Kilda should have 3 different jumpers. The traditional jumper as our home jumper and 2 clash jumpers. Both clash jumpers should have exactly the same front panels as the traditional jumper. However one of the clash jumpers should have a white back with black numbers and the other one should have a red back with black numbers, (or white numbers maybe, whatever looks better).

I would like to hear other posters opinions especially regarding Geelong getting away with it and also the prospect of having 3 jumpers.
Most likely because Geelong's dominant color is blue. Ours is black, as is Collingwood's.

As to "changes", simply changing the color of the shorts should suffice for every team in the comp. That said, as years go by and teams garner more and more revenue from the sale of replica jumpers, your prediction of three different types will probably be spot on.

SunburySaint
Club Player

End Of An Era wrote:The f****** AFL made us wear that s*** jumper in last years GF's even though Collingfilth caused the clash by changing their back to black. Why were Geelong allowed to get away with it?

Geelong "got away with it" because their "home" jumper meets the requirements for clash jumpers which is to do with the amount of white on it... If Geelong had worn their "clash" jumper it would have clashed with the filths home jumper....

In relation to saints clash strips your first idea was the best

Now lives in Geelong...
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

No. Geelong's main colour is white meaning that when playing Collingwood (whose main colour is black) they look nothing alike.

What a pointless argument to try and stir up people on here.

They walk amongst us...

End Of An Era
Club Player

When Collingfilth are the home team and they play Geelong during the season, do Geelong wear a clash jumper? Does anyone know? Because if they do then they should have been forced to wear their clash jumper in the GF.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:When Collingfilth are the home team and they play Geelong during the season, do Geelong wear a clash jumper? Does anyone know? Because if they do then they should have been forced to wear their clash jumper in the GF.
Why would they??? The alternate to Geelong's jumper would make it dark.

Do you just act stupid?

They walk amongst us...

End Of An Era
Club Player

HSVKing wrote:

No. Geelong's main colour is white meaning that when playing Collingwood (whose main colour is black) they look nothing alike.

What a pointless argument to try and stir up people on here.
I'm not trying to stir up anyone thank you. I am very passionate about this issue. It still burns me that we had to wear that foreign jumper in both GF's and yet othet teams don't have to comply.

Maklom
Club Player

Are you serious? Regardless of colour, horizontal "hoops" vs vertical stripes is not seen as a clash in the AFLs infinite wisdom.

However, I do think that our look in last years grand finals was el crappola but I am getting used to our administration having no balls with things like jumper clashes, etc.

End Of An Era
Club Player

HSVKing wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:When Collingfilth are the home team and they play Geelong during the season, do Geelong wear a clash jumper? Does anyone know? Because if they do then they should have been forced to wear their clash jumper in the GF.
Why would they??? The alternate to Geelong's jumper would make it dark.

Do you just act stupid?
I'm not sure if you are just trying to start trouble but clash jumpers are supposed to be white not dark. So if Geelong have a dark clash they are not complying with the rule.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

But if you were in charge...

The 2nd clashes, where as the first doesn't.
Last edited by HSVKing on Thu 06 Oct 2011 3:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

They walk amongst us...

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:I'm not sure if you are just trying to start trouble but clash jumpers are supposed to be white not dark. So if Geelong have a dark clash they are not complying with the rule.
I guess you don't just act stupid.

Geelong's regular jumper is white, no need to wear their clash jumper :roll:

They walk amongst us...

End Of An Era
Club Player

You are missing my point HSVKing. That clash jumper for Geelong does not comply so if the AFL says Geelong's home jumper clashes with the filths then they should have been forced to wear a clash jumper that complies with the rules for clash jumpers.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:You are missing my point HSVKing. That clash jumper for Geelong does not comply so if the AFL says Geelong's home jumper clashes with the filths then they should have been forced to wear a clash jumper that complies with the rules for clash jumpers.
I'm seriously talking to one of these...

THERE WAS NO NEED FOR A CLASH JUMPER AS THEY DO NOT CLASH.
Capiche?

They walk amongst us...

End Of An Era
Club Player

HSVKing wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:I'm not sure if you are just trying to start trouble but clash jumpers are supposed to be white not dark. So if Geelong have a dark clash they are not complying with the rule.

I could easily start calling you names as well but I won't stoop to that level.

I'll ask the question again. During the season when Collingfilth are hosting Geelong, do Geelong wear their clash jumper? If the answer is "NO" because Geelong's clash jumper clashes with the filths home jumper then that means Geelong do not have a compliant clash jumper and that is not a valid reason for Geelong not having to wear a clash jumper when being hosted by Collingfilth.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

End Of An Era wrote:.... if the AFL says Geelong's home jumper clashes with the filths ....
But the AFL didn't say that, because it doesn't clash.

I'm sure if the AFL said that they clashed, then Geelong would have worn an alternate strip, just like we did in 2010.

AFWIW, we (as a club) shouldn't give a stuff what we wear, I couldn't care less if Roo had been wearing a pink tutu, if he was standing on the dais lifting the cup.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:
HSVKing wrote:

I'll ask the question again. During the season when Collingfilth are hosting Geelong, do Geelong wear their clash jumper? If the answer is "NO" because Geelong's clash jumper clashes with the filths home jumper then that means Geelong do not have a compliant clash jumper and that is not a valid reason for Geelong not having to wear a clash jumper when being hosted by Collingfilth.
They dont need a jumper that doesnt clash with the pies because they dont clash. Surely it isnt hard to understand.

SunburySaint
Club Player

End Of An Era wrote:
HSVKing wrote:

The answer to your question is no. But in relation the "clash" jumper it's only worn when the standard jumpers "clash" filth and geelongs don't "clash"

End of story....
Last edited by SunburySaint on Thu 06 Oct 2011 3:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

Now lives in Geelong...
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:I could easily start calling you names as well but I won't stoop to that level.

I haven't called you a name, I've stated simply what you are being, stupid!

A 'clash' jumper is designed to be a back-up in case a clash of jumpers occurs when the 2 teams REGULAR jumpers clash.

Geelong only need theirs for when they play against North Melbourne, as they are the only 2 sides whos REGULAR jumpers are WHITE based.

If this doesn't penetrate your skull, I don't think anything will.

They walk amongst us...

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

The jumpers dont clash?

Geelong = mostly white

Collingwood = mostly black

no clash. Ill repeat that NO F'N CLASH

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Hurricane wrote:The jumpers dont clash?

Geelong = mostly white

Collingwood = mostly black

no clash. Ill repeat that NO F'N CLASH

BANG BANG
Chopper, there's no clash here. Here, there's no clash, alright? Clash *no*

End Of An Era
Club Player

HSVKing wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:I could easily start calling you names as well but I won't stoop to that level.

I haven't called you a name, I've stated simply what you are being, stupid!

A 'clash' jumper is designed to be a back-up in case a clash of jumpers occurs when the 2 teams REGULAR jumpers clash.

Geelong only need theirs for when they play against North Melbourne, as they are the only 2 sides whos REGULAR jumpers are WHITE based.

If this doesn't penetrate your skull, I don't think anything will.
Fair enough, so how the hell does our jumper clash with Collingfilths? We have red on the front and on our back it is all black. They don't have red on the front and their back is black and white. Mind you the biggest issue is that Eddie caused the clash by changing their jumper about 10 years ago.

Red white and black front, plus black back with white shorts does not clash with black and white front and back with black shorts.

More importantly, we should adopt one of the clash jumpers (if not both) I suggested in my OP so if we are forced to wear clash jumpers at least it will resemble our traditional jumper and not the abomination we had in last years GF's.

ThePunter
Club Player

You don't have to wear a clash when you're home jumper doesn't clash, and as long as Geelong wears white shorts and Collingwood wears black shorts, there is no clash.

As Geelong is happy to accommodate this regardless of who the home team is, there really is no issue.

On the other hand, considering the dark nature of our jumper, we need to wear black shorts at home games.

Going Collingwood over clash jumpers is silly as they have three jumpers now to accommodate all possible clashes.

Only one recalcitrant club remains in the AFL on the issue of clash jumpers: Essendon.

Everyone else does the right thing, with the possible exception of Carlton in finals (apparently they do not want to wear their baby blue jumper in a final, which ensured a horrible clash v West Coast three weeks ago).

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Because it doesn't clash!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

White stripes on a dark background clashes with white stripes on a dark background.

I watched the game with some soccer fans and most of them commented on the similarity of the jumpers.

The home side wearing tatts helped but it wasn't enough.

Furtius Quo Rdelious