Lyon pinches Sumich

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Plugger66 commented :
What a lot of crap. Got any proof at all. MM has retired from coaching. Nothing to do with Seaford.
It was an "illustration" of the point, not a "statement" Plugger. It supports in principle, the examples that Eastern made.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

If commuting and desirable locations were a huge issue the Hawks would struggle to get anyone who lives west of Clayton.

And Sheedy would cut a lonely figure at GWS training.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The Doc commented in part :
If commuting and desirable locations were a huge issue the Hawks would struggle to get anyone who lives west of Clayton.
There is nothing that can be done now about Seaford, we just have to accept that we are there. "The fact is" that the location is a deterent to attracting "the best" people in the business and we have to live with that.

From a general travel perspective, Hawthorn's Waverley location is not the travel issue that Seaford is.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:From a general travel perspective, Hawthorn's Waverley location is not the travel issue that Seaford is.
But surely that depends on where you're living?

If you lived in Ascot Vale/Moonee Ponds for instance, Waverley would be a fair commute on a daily basis.

Yes, it's not ideal. But by the same token it's not as big an issue as some are making it out to be - IMO of course.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Lyon pinches Sumich
This news is five days old. Did they mention the punch as well?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Jeez, all those poor blokes travelling down the Geelong Rd to play with the Cats.

Being further out of Melbourne than Seaford has really hurt them and their quests for flags :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Doc, you can argue this point either way in theory - where you live, freeway access etc etc.

My point is that "the best" will see it as a a hindrance or difficulty that they don't need to take, considering the after-hours that they work.

These people tend to live in the inner city suburbs and don't need the excessive travel. We don't know, but perhaps that's why some have pulled the pin, or taken positions with other Clubs !

On the other hand, Geelong is an entity of its own.
Last edited by Junction Oval on Wed 05 Oct 2011 9:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Jeez, all those poor blokes travelling down the Geelong Rd to play with the Cats.

Being further out of Melbourne than Seaford has really hurt them and their quests for flags :roll:
Yeah, but we've got coffee shops in Geekong Joff!

Don't you that Cafés = Flags? :P

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Do all of the Geelong people live in the Geelong area? None in Melbourne?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I don't get this comment
The respected assistant, who described himself as a "Fremantle person", also had opportunities to move within the AFL at the end of 2007 and 2010, but the loss of champion pair Chris Judd and Ben Cousins and last year's wooden spoon finish prevented him from moving on

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:I don't get this comment
The respected assistant, who described himself as a "Fremantle person", also had opportunities to move within the AFL at the end of 2007 and 2010, but the loss of champion pair Chris Judd and Ben Cousins and last year's wooden spoon finish prevented him from moving on
He lost currency due to these circumstances?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Jeez, all those poor blokes travelling down the Geelong Rd to play with the Cats.

Carltons got 16 flags so there is obviously something in that.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Borderbarry's question :
Do all of the Geelong people live in the Geelong area? None in Melbourne?
It's a mixed bag. Many of the players live in Torquay, in a more low key environment. Some "managers" commute for Melbourne - I think that Neil Blame does. Don't know how many others do.
Geelong bought a flat/unit in town for Mark Thompson for occasional use during the week, to ease the travel burden.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Do all of the Geelong people live in the Geelong area? None in Melbourne?
I've only been here myself for a couple of years (Moorabbin boy :)) so I'm no expert. But I suspect a lot of them live in Geelong, or on the Bellarine Peninsula or down the Surf Coast.

No doubt some of them commute from Melbourne.

And I can't be sure, but I seem to recall that Bomber Thompson spent some of his many years as coach, if not all of them, driving up and down the Princes Highway

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:Eastern commented :
Yep;
- SOS didn't want to travel down there so he moved to GWS
- Tudor didn't want to travel down there so he moved to Sydney
- Berbekov didn't want to travel down there so he moved to Sydney
- Lyin didn't want to travel down there so he moved to Freo
- Yep, Its SEAFORD alright. Should we burn the place down? !!
Whether people want to accept it or not, the Seaford location is turning the "best people" away. If you are good enough in football terms to nail what you want, why would you want to travel to Seaford?

Malthouse lives near the inner city. Money is not his key driver, so why would he want to travel to Seaford every day until whatever hour? Transpose that thought to the likes of other top people e.g. Misson - the same result.

I know the response - if they pay you enough, what does it matter - many posters may travel an hour or more every day. Gents, it's about "choice." If you can get the same job, the same money in a more stable organisation, why would you want to travel to Seaford, if you don't have to ???
Harves lives in Mt Eliza... nice and close to Seaford. He's as good as appointed!!

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Did the morans import cofee?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Did the morans import cofee?
Forget them; they're has beans :P

Johnny Favier
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:Eastern commented :
Yep;
- SOS didn't want to travel down there so he moved to GWS
- Tudor didn't want to travel down there so he moved to Sydney
- Berbekov didn't want to travel down there so he moved to Sydney
- Lyin didn't want to travel down there so he moved to Freo
- Yep, Its SEAFORD alright. Should we burn the place down? !!
Whether people want to accept it or not, the Seaford location is turning the "best people" away. If you are good enough in football terms to nail what you want, why would you want to travel to Seaford?

Malthouse lives near the inner city. Money is not his key driver, so why would he want to travel to Seaford every day until whatever hour? Transpose that thought to the likes of other top people e.g. Misson - the same result.

I know the response - if they pay you enough, what does it matter - many posters may travel an hour or more every day. Gents, it's about "choice." If you can get the same job, the same money in a more stable organisation, why would you want to travel to Seaford, if you don't have to ???
...and Misson moved to Melbourne, but don't they train out at Casey Fields?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:From a general travel perspective, Hawthorn's Waverley location is not the travel issue that Seaford is.

If you lived in Ascot Vale/Moonee Ponds for instance, Waverley would be a fair commute on a daily basis.

Yes, it's not ideal. But by the same token it's not as big an issue as some are making it out to be - IMO of course.
I happen to know a certain player who lives in Kensington and used to play for North. He played for Hawthorn this year and has told me it only takes him 10 minutes more to get to Waverley via City Link (only one traffic light). Your isolation in Geelong obviously precludes you having knowledge of Melbourne traffic.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

You mates with david hale shakey?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

I happen to know a certain player who lives in Kensington and used to play for North. He played for Hawthorn this year and has told me it only takes him 10 minutes more to get to Waverley via City Link (only one traffic light). Your isolation in Geelong obviously precludes you having knowledge of Melbourne traffic.
Well you'd be wrong Bernard.

Have only been in Geelong for a couple of years. A Moorabbin boy who has lived all over Melbourne including Camberwell, Footscray, Kensington and Northcote.

Now if you're trying to tell me it only takes 10 minutes more to get from Kensington to VFL Park than it does from Kensington to Arden Street, then I think someone's having a serious lend.

Either that or your mate is Sebastian Vettel - and I don't recall seeing him on the Hawk's team sheet!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:You mates with david hale shakey?
Not mates, I just know him.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Have only been in Geelong for a couple of years. A Moorabbin boy who has lived all over Melbourne including Camberwell, Footscray, Kensington and Northcote.

Now if you're trying to tell me it only takes 10 minutes more to get from Kensington to VFL Park than it does from Kensington to Arden Street, then I think someone's having a serious lend.

Either that or your mate is Sebastian Vettel - and I don't recall seeing him on the Hawk's team sheet!
I'm telling you what I was told and having knowledge of the traffic around Arden Street I have no reason to doubt it. Takes 15 minutes from his place to Arden Street. Takes 5 minutes from his place to City Linf and 20 minutes from there to Waverley.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

I happen to know a certain player who lives in Kensington and used to play for North. He played for Hawthorn this year and has told me it only takes him  10 minutes more to get to Waverley via City Link (only one traffic light). Your isolation in Geelong obviously precludes you having knowledge of Melbourne traffic.

I'm telling you what I was told and having knowledge of the traffic around Arden Street I have no reason to doubt it. Takes 15 minutes from his place to Arden Street. Takes 5 minutes from his place to City Linf and 20 minutes from there to Waverley.
Fair enough Bernard. I've also read posts on here suggesting very favorable times from Port Melbourne and Brighton to Seaford.

I lived within walking distance of Arden Street for about 6 years so I know the area very well. I was living there when we played at VFL Park so I also know the commute very well.

And if I did that every day I would regard it as a bit of a hike regardless of what the stopwatch shows.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Fair enough Bernard. I've also read posts on here suggesting very favorable times from Port Melbourne and Brighton to Seaford.

I lived within walking distance of Arden Street for about 6 years so I know the area very well. I was living there when we played at VFL Park so I also know the commute very well.

And if I did that every day I would regard it as a bit of a hike regardless of what the stopwatch shows.
No City Link Tunnels then Doc, a very different commute now, especially when going against the traffic.