When we win a flag we should dress up as Pyramids on mad Mon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:gday Johnny Member, the nobhead behaviour I was referring to was the entire pre-season antics in NZ together with the nude photos and then the decision to go on the footy show and let the world take up arms agaainst us again.
Come on, you're not calling players nobheads for taking naked photos pf each other?

f***, I reckon that's rough.

The only reason that was ever an issue, was because the media were hoping it in some way could be connected to a poor young woman. But it wasn't.

It wasn't even stupid I wouldn't have thought.

As for the NZ thing, that's possibly the only thing that's happened over the past 10 years at the club has been genuinely poor behaviour by someone.

These people and the club, aren't world leaders or religious figures! It's a sporting club.

I can't understand why these things even make the papers. It's relevance to the sport is zero.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

As somebody else has said Geelong WON, its an aussie tradition is it not? "winners are grinners etc" Our blokes need to geet down to doing the hard yakka of getting the side back into contention! and part fo that task is to get a bit of sense when it comes to the media

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:As somebody else has said Geelong WON, its an aussie tradition is it not? "winners are grinners etc" Our blokes need to geet down to doing the hard yakka of getting the side back into contention! and part fo that task is to get a bit of sense when it comes to the media
People need to lighten up I reckon.

The problem is, that when players actually do bad things it all gets thrown in the same basket as this type of harmless stuff.

But Neil Mitchell gets up and wants people to be outraged by it! On the same show he wants people ot be outraged by genuinely concerning things in society and in footy - and it blurs the line.

What it really does, is trivialise the serious stuff.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Johnny, what the players do in the privacy of their own homes is their business, you make fair comments about it being a sporting club etc. Gilbert WAS a nobhead (in my opinion) for allowing the pix to become public as well as getting us so much negative publicity pre-season. I'm well aware that they're not "world leaders or religious leaders" (Man the potential for bad behaviour would be even worse!) but the facts are that because of this stupidity our pre-season and pretty much the rest of it was dogged by controversy! My point is that IF the players involved had been more professional we would not be having this debate.
And while the guy is now "persona non-grata" our senior coach was allegedly "disgusted" at the attitude shown by some on our list and this has been reported widely in the media. Sponsors, (as well as potential coaches) take notice of all this.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:As somebody else has said Geelong WON, its an aussie tradition is it not? "winners are grinners etc" Our blokes need to geet down to doing the hard yakka of getting the side back into contention!
I don't see it that way.

Our blokes are better behaved than pertty much every club. According to coaches and players that have passed through the club, and opposition players that are friends with our players - we have one of, if not the most respected and professional leadership groups in the game.

The media mauled us last year. Incorrectly maligned the players and the club.

They smelt blood, and went for the kill. The problem was, that no one had done anything wrong. I can understand d**khead opposition supporters refusing to acknowledge this, but it disappoints me that actual Saints fans won't.

My point about 'they won so no one cares', isn't that 'winners are grinners', it's that none of this stuff matters. Collingwood behave worse than anyone, and it obviously has no impact on their ability to perform. But, because we lost the media pick it all apart.

It makes no difference at all. But when you lose, it's tradition to sink the boots in.

Supporters should really be able to see past it I reckon.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough John. All I'm saying is that IF our boys don't put themselves into silly situations, then the media have NOTHING!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Johnny, what the players do in the privacy of their own homes is their business, you make fair comments about it being a sporting club etc. Gilbert WAS a nobhead (in my opinion) for allowing the pix to become public as well as getting us so much negative publicity pre-season. I'm well aware that they're not "world leaders or religious leaders" (Man the potential for bad behaviour would be even worse!) but the facts are that because of this stupidity our pre-season and pretty much the rest of it was dogged by controversy! My point is that IF the players involved had been more professional we would not be having this debate.
And while the guy is now "persona non-grata" our senior coach was allegedly "disgusted" at the attitude shown by some on our list and this has been reported widely in the media. Sponsors, (as well as potential coaches) take notice of all this.
Look, firstly I can't see how walking around a hotel room with no clothes on it unprofessional. And I can't see how taking a photos on your camera phone of one of your best mates with his slug out is unprofessional either.

These guys shower together, live together, and are basically family!

I haven't heard Lyon saying he was disgusted in anything. I've only heard praise from him about the leadership group.

I mean jesus, it's not as if our blokes have been betting on the footy, losing their licenses for drink driving, crashing cars, beating up their girlfriends, bashing taxi drivers, selling drugs, etc. etc.

We all know (or should) the difference between actual poor behaviour off-field, and what is harmless fun.

Photos of a blokes dick when he is in a hotel room with his best mates is not an issue. The above stuff it.

But guess which got the most publicity? And why? Because people have lost the plot!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Fair enough John. All I'm saying is that IF our boys don't put themselves into silly situations, then the media have NOTHING!
They have nothing anyway.

They'll still find headlines though, regardless of what actually happens.

As I said, I can't understand how Saints supporters get sucked in though. Opposition I can, because they'd choose to believe whatever suits them. Bad press about any opposition club is gold.

But why do Saints fans choose to believe that we have a culture problem? When in reality, we're streets ahead of most of the comp.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

When you put it that way.......its hard to disagree. The "relationship" :roll: Gilbert had with the schoolgirl led to those pix getting posted up on facebook. So while I see what you're saying about the photos etc in the hotel room being just blokes mucking around, the consequences have harmed the club! Whatever spin we put on it our club has been damaged this year bigtime!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

John, I'm not suckered into thinking we have a "culture problem" at the club, just dismayed that the publicity that this incident gathered did damage to the club. Now that incident has gone and is history, however, to go on the FS and reopen it is DUMB!

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

stinker wrote: ps...knobheads has a k ffs..... :roll: :evil: :twisted:
stinker wrote:deleated
CLASSIC

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:John, I'm not suckered into thinking we have a "culture problem" at the club, just dismayed that the publicity that this incident gathered did damage to the club. Now that incident has gone and is history, however, to go on the FS and reopen it is DUMB!

The club's been 'damaged' because we lost.

The same as every club that loses, gets these types of 'issues' dragged up. Collingwood will now start to come under scrutiny, for behaviour far worse than ours. But until last week, no one cared and it wasn't considered relevant because they won the flag.

That's what I'm saying. This stuff is not important. Every club does it, almost all far worse than us.

The only reason anyone takes it remotely seriously or even talks about it is because we lost. Had we won in 09, it would have never made the papers and most likely some journos might have chosen to actually do some research in the first place.

Pretty much, I don't think it matters what our players or the club do. Off-field, we're far better than just about anyone else and yet we still get headlines for the most menial things.

I don't blame the players. I don't blame the club. I blame the people that allow these 'stories' to sell papers - the public.

I personally, could not care less. I'd much rather my club make headlines and supposedly be 'damaged' for irrelevant stuff than not make headlines for serious things like assaulting women, assaulting innocent cabbies, gambling the footy, being involved in illegal drugs, and so on and so on.

I care about what I think it relevant - not what some fuckwith at the chicken shop thinks is a big deal simply because it's on the front page of the Herald-Sun website!

In summary, the club isn't damaged to me. We're getting a new coach, have a shiny new home, are getting millions from the AFL and a guarantee we'll exist for another 10 years or whatever.

So the Herald-Sun and Neil Mitchell can say what they like, but for mine the 'issues' at my club aren't issues at all.
Last edited by Johnny Member on Tue 04 Oct 2011 12:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

AND "stringer" has an "R" :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Jugster :wink:

gurubob101
Club Player

The trouble is that every Mrs. Average Plum Duff from Rowville to Altona believes entirely in the myth that the St Kilda Football Club lacks respect for women. This widespread, unquestioning belief encourages the media to feed this stereotype because the public loves to trawl through this sort of titillating drivel and make disapproving noises. The fall out from events of this year will have a negative affect on this club in terms of membership and sponsorship for a long, long time.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

gurubob101 wrote:The fall out from events of this year will have a negative affect on this club in terms of membership and sponsorship for a long, long time.
I don't believe that.

It never ever has, for any club, and it never, ever will.

That line gets trotted out all the time, but never actually happens.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gurubob101 wrote:The trouble is that every Mrs. Average Plum Duff from Rowville to Altona believes entirely in the myth that the St Kilda Football Club lacks respect for women. This widespread, unquestioning belief encourages the media to feed this stereotype because the public loves to trawl through this sort of titillating drivel and make disapproving noises. The fall out from events of this year will have a negative affect on this club in terms of membership and sponsorship for a long, long time.
and i give a tuppeny f*** for what supporters of other clubs think about the saints?????...you are either with us or you're the enemy afaic..... :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
stinker wrote: ps...knobheads has a k ffs..... :roll: :evil: :twisted:
stinker wrote:deleated
CLASSIC
and i wouldn't be having a go at anybody over a typo is i was you essfaa :roll: :roll: 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

OooooooooooooooooooooooH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Johnny, what the players do in the privacy of their own homes is their business, you make fair comments about it being a sporting club etc. Gilbert WAS a nobhead (in my opinion) for allowing the pix to become public as well as getting us so much negative publicity pre-season. I'm well aware that they're not "world leaders or religious leaders" (Man the potential for bad behaviour would be even worse!) but the facts are that because of this stupidity our pre-season and pretty much the rest of it was dogged by controversy! My point is that IF the players involved had been more professional we would not be having this debate.
gurubob101 wrote: The trouble is that every Mrs. Average Plum Duff from Rowville to Altona believes entirely in the myth that the St Kilda Football Club lacks respect for women. This widespread, unquestioning belief encourages the media to feed this stereotype because the public loves to trawl through this sort of titillating drivel and make disapproving noises. The fall out from events of this year will have a negative affect on this club in terms of membership and sponsorship for a long, long time.

I disagree with both of you. I think the events of the last year or so have a minimal affect on our chances of attracting a coach, or assistants, or the win loss ratio or the chances of a premiership, or sponsorship dollars.

I reckon the members will renew their memberships, the fans will come through the turnstyles, and the sponsors will come with their chequebooks if we kick more goals...or at least play footy that is a bit more attractive than kicking 2 or 3 goals for half a game. It happened far too often under Rossco (who we know was/maybe still is; the messiah for some). The Pies, Hawks, Dons, Cats, and Weagles are doing it. Even Sydney this year were playing more attacking footy than us. Maybe only Adelaide were going down a path of some pretty boring footy with the Porpoise injured and T Walker not getting a go under Craig. The fans turn up and pay to see their heroes win and see exciting stars of the game kicking amazing goals. If you don't like goals go join a bloody soccer club.

When the Saints start playing a different brand of footy next year, the media and public will be a lot more forgiving.

Megsie
Club Player

thought Bartel was humble......a Lenny type.

How wrong i was. Feel a bit sad to learn that Jimmy boy

obvioously only has a "footy" brain & no humility at all.

Lenny is a humble intelligent man whoses values would never

allow him to do such a thing mad monday or not

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

boys will be boys. lenny doesn't mind the odd shenanigans. he was involved in a bar fight just recently. great bloke but no ones perfect.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Police are interviewing Mitch Duncan?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/835 ... utside-bar

AFL WAG and blue carpet stunner Nadia Coppolino believes her drink was spiked after she collapsed outside a Geelong bar on Sunday night.

PHOTOS: Brownlow Medal 2011

The girlfriend of Cats star Jimmy Bartel felt nauseous and dizzy soon after having a drink at Lamby's restaurant and bar, the Herald Sun reports.

When she went outside for fresh air, she collapsed onto the footpath and suffered concussion.

"I'd had a few drinks but I knew I wasn't drunk," Ms Coppolino said.

"It's the strangest feeling I'd ever felt… I felt like I couldn't breathe.

"I spoke to another girl who said it looked like I was spiked."

Bartel took her home straight away and another guest at the celebration said it appeared her drink had been spiked.

The premiership celebrations continued through to Mad Monday, where Bartel dressed up as the "St Kilda Schoolgirl", walking hand in hand with Mitch Duncan who was dressed as Ricky Nixon.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Police are interviewing Mitch Duncan?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/835 ... utside-bar

AFL WAG and blue carpet stunner Nadia Coppolino believes her drink was spiked after she collapsed outside a Geelong bar on Sunday night.

PHOTOS: Brownlow Medal 2011

The girlfriend of Cats star Jimmy Bartel felt nauseous and dizzy soon after having a drink at Lamby's restaurant and bar, the Herald Sun reports.

When she went outside for fresh air, she collapsed onto the footpath and suffered concussion.

"I'd had a few drinks but I knew I wasn't drunk," Ms Coppolino said.

"It's the strangest feeling I'd ever felt… I felt like I couldn't breathe.

"I spoke to another girl who said it looked like I was spiked."

Bartel took her home straight away and another guest at the celebration said it appeared her drink had been spiked.

The premiership celebrations continued through to Mad Monday, where Bartel dressed up as the "St Kilda Schoolgirl", walking hand in hand with Mitch Duncan who was dressed as Ricky Nixon.
Culture, they'll lose sponsors, poor attitude to women, something's amiss down there, etc. etc. etc.

Dave Robicheaux
Club Player

if it happens at other clubs, its still no reason for letting bad behaviour go at ours y'all

Y'all better blow it off now
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Dave Robicheaux wrote:if it happens at other clubs, its still no reason for letting bad behaviour go at ours y'all
When was the last time a chick passed out due to having her drink spiked at a Saints club function??!!

f***** hell. Some guys take photos of their knobs and some others dance on the Footy Show, and it's the end of the world!

Some perspective on this type of stuff would be great.